Annoying noob questions

Name
You can call me Sir.
Edit My Images
Yes
Get yourselves a stiff drink if you are going to tolerate the idiocy of my questions, I know nothing about shooting video. I've got a gopro hero 2 and I sold all of my digital camera gear to fund another hobby. I've now decided to buy another digital camera and want one that will shoot some video to go with the gopro.

Here's where the confusion lies:

I think I get the difference between 30fps and 25fps, it's to do with 50hz and 60hz displays, but what's the need for 24fps? Is anyone actually going to notice the difference between that and 25fps?

If you're outputting for web does it really matter what mode you shoot in? The reason for asking is that I can't believe a video shot in 25fps will look different on a computer over here than it would on a computer in the states when watched on youtube. Or would it?

My choices boil down to this, a 550/600d or a Fuji X-S1. Unlikely competition but there is a reason.

The 550d/600d seems to be the benchmark in my price range, it probably does everything I would want it to and more and there's no doubt that optically it will be more superior than the Fuji. The downside is it's a dslr, if I can help it I really down want to get sucked into the dslr arms race that sucks up all your money where you think you just need one more lens to do this and then one more lens to do that. Before I know it I've got a collection of gear, most of which hardly gets used and an empty wallet. The other thing is the drain on the computer processing 18mp RAW files instead of 12mp from the Fuji. I certainly won't ever need more than 12mp that's for certain.

The advantage of the Fuji is the obvious avoidance of gear acquisition syndrome, I'd have to make do with what I've got. But there is one question mark over the Fuji that relates to the earlier points which my or may not be a deal breaker.

From what I can find online the Fuji will only record at 30fps. How much of a ball ache is this going to be if I'm trying to match it together with footage from the gopro at 25fps? I've got Adobe Premiere Elements for editing, would this be able to strip every sixth frame to make 25fps or is that a terrible idea that I deserve shooting for?

Cheers,
Kev

24fps is simply the standard theatrical frame rate for cinema but for TV 25fps is used in the UK and the rest of Europe simply because originally the AC electric frequency of 50Hz was the only reliable way of syncing the interlaced fields together in TV's (i.e so 50 fields per second), likewise in 60Hz countries such as the USA 30FPS (actually 29.976 but thats another story) is used. 24fps is then subsequently converted to the relevant framerate when shown on TV or video etc by either speeding up the speed it is played at (in the case of 25fps, it just causes slightly higher pitched audio) or by using pulldown (repeating a frame every X frames, usually only used for playing at 30fps).

Its probably not a good idea to simply strip every 6th frame as that will cause audio problems, you'll need to use another program than Premiere Elements (as it doesn't allow proper frame rate changing) to convert the frame rate (although its not particularly recommended as it will likely degrade quality).

Are you shooting in HD or SD? Shooting 30FPS in HD these days is not too much bother as computers are able to display any frame rate really and TV's have no problem either as the Bluray standard is able to support 24p, 25p, 30p, 50p and 60p anywhere in the world so unlike DVD's where 'PAL' standard discs had to be 720x576 with 25fps and NTSC 720x480 with 30fps there is not really a problem with frame rates.

Last edited:
Nobody would notice the visual difference in a piece of video being shown at 24 or 25 FPS, but plenty of people will be able to tell that the pitch of audio if wrong.

It's for that reason that pitch correction is a feature in main audio applications.

Cheers for the explanation of the frame rate thing.

I suppose the ironic thing is most of anything I film will be for web use so HD is overkill but it's better to have too much than not enough.

I went to jessops the other day and tried a Fuji and the 600d and although the Fuji is nice the video mode is fully automatic and I know that would frustrate me. Looks like I'm getting a dslr again.

24fps is the standard for theatrical films and some TV programs (normally high budget dramas).

25fps is the standard framerate for TV in the UK, 30fps is the standard for TV in the US.

If you're in the UK then you should be shooting either 24 or 25 (or a multiple thereof if you want slow-mo). The choice is up to you - if you want the cinematic look then go for 24, if you want it to look like a normal TV program then go for 25.

Sorry to hijack the thread here. But I am shooting video on a Nikon d4 at 30fps (or 29.976 as has been said). Should I be shooting at 24 or 25 fps instead then?

Which is best to use? What's the cinematic look at 24 different to the tv look of 25? (As mentioned above)

Does this mean with a gopro I should be shooting PAL 50fps? So to match the 25/24 on the d4? Instead of NTSC 60fps. (1080p).

Last edited:
I don't NEED any of that stuff, I'm not making movies or documentaries, I've got no intention of jacking in the day job and becoming a pro either.

I'm sure it will be a long time before I even find the limitations of the equipment I've got so there is no point buying additional equipment until I do.

I don't NEED any of that stuff, I'm not making movies or documentaries, I've got no intention of jacking in the day job and becoming a pro either.

I'm sure it will be a long time before I even find the limitations of the equipment I've got so there is no point buying additional equipment until I do.

2 problems you may encounter:

1) Creating DVDs etc for display on TVs may cause a framerate conversion you don't want.
2) If the lights in a room are mains powered, they will be at 50Hz - not a problem if you're recording at 25, but at 29.97, they may flicker as you'll be catching them in a different part of their cycle each time.

2 problems you may encounter:

1) Creating DVDs etc for display on TVs may cause a framerate conversion you don't want.

Not really a problem anymore as TV's from last 10 to 15 years can display DVD's with NTSC style content natively anyway without any framerate conversion etc.

Back