Another Black Rapid Question

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
OK, so I’m a bit confused on the Black Rapid straps. I’ve convinced myself I need one from the glowing reviews so no problems there.

My confusion is over using them at the same time as a tripod quick release plate. Obviously in normal circumstances you screw the Black Rapid connector into the tripod mount on your body or lens foot and then clip the Black Rapid strap / sling onto the connector.

My question is why can’t I just leave my Giotto’s MH642 quick release plate on the camera and clip the black rapid onto the loop which forms part of the bolt on the quick release plate?

Is this a daft question? :thinking:

Picture here of the MH642 if you don't know what I mean.

In theory it will work because the plate screws onto the tripod hole, then you clip the black rapid strap on the tripod plate loop.

But I'm not sure will it support the weight etc because i'm no expert but in theory it will be ok ............

If that loop is designed to take the weight of the camera and lens then you can.

I guess it depends on how far into the 'bolt' the ends of the loop go and how rigid the loop is itself. Ie. if it bends or deforms and the ingress into the bolt are minimal, the whole thing will come away.

The BR connectors look a bit more substantial, but not a huge amount. Other than a visual inspection, it's really down to the quality of the materials.

I would ask myself if that is strong enough to hold without snapping at some point and your camera ending up dropping to the floor.

Well it certainly looks substantial enough but I couldn't see any info anywhere on the web, not even on the Giotto's site to see if it was rated for any specific weight.

I couldn't decide if thats what it was there for or if its just to aid in the tighning of the bolt into the camera?

I would say its a aid to tight the plate to the camera ....... otherwise you will need a coin or a key to tight the plate to the camera which is not so good sometimes lol.

It just looks like a missed opertunity if it isn't strong enough, especially as the main issue people seem to have with using a BR is having to take the tri-pod plate off the camera.

Have a look at the BR FastenR Tripod adapter. Replaces the QR plate screw on Manfrotto QR plate, but don't know if it will work on your QR plate, but worth a look. It's specially strengthen to work with BR strap.

I use mine on my D300s with Sigma 150-500mm and no problems as yet. Solid as a rock :|

I've had a look at the tripod adaptor but I don't think it fits the Giotto's and I didn't really want to change my tripod system.

But for the fact that the OP isn't using Arca Swiss plates...

His problem, not mine if he wants to be locked into some proprietary plate system. :D

I was merely suggesting something I stumbled across the other day.

No doubt he could come up with something along the same lines for his plates, its not rocket science.

His problem, not mine if he wants to be locked into some proprietary plate system. :D

I was merely suggesting something I stumbled across the other day.

No doubt he could come up with something along the same lines for his plates, its not rocket science.

I use that system (the Kirk clamp) without, it has to be said, the uniloop safety tether, and it works well, with both Arca plates and also L brackets.

Back