Another company profiteering from the coronavirus

But you aren't.

You're being compensated for self isolating and thus helping to save the lives of your fellow citizens. I can't think of a better occupation for people who lack skills that are required in the current situation.

Yep - that's the 'honourable excuse' the skivers like to use.

Never mind companies profiteering from the Coronavirus; there is a significant percentage of the UK workforce that is!

I personally think it is ridiculous to get at least 80% of your pay for sitting at home doing sweet FA!

To claim 80% you should have to do at least 20 hrs of unpaid voluntary work (especially the self employed who are claiming the 80% because they have no work!) - there is plenty to be done!

lets face it - this has become the ideal 'skivers charter' taking two weeks off then getting paid for nothing.

You do realise that people don't choose to not work and "claim" 80% of their salary to stay at home doing sweet FA, don't you? If all those people who've been furloughed then go out and do voluntary work, then the whole point of people being furloughed is null & void and they may as well go to work as normal and earn 100% of their wages.

I was furloughed as of Wednesday, there's nothing I'd like more than to be able to go to work!

Never mind companies profiteering from the Coronavirus; there is a significant percentage of the UK workforce that is!

I personally think it is ridiculous to get at least 80% of your pay for sitting at home doing sweet FA!

To claim 80% you should have to do at least 20 hrs of unpaid voluntary work (especially the self employed who are claiming the 80% because they have no work!) - there is plenty to be done!

lets face it - this has become the ideal 'skivers charter' taking two weeks off then getting paid for nothing.

Firstly, you're off topic, what has this to do with bad companies???

The whole point of furlough is driven by Government. They need to minimise the impact on the NHS and as a result have told people to stay at home. That has a huge impact on all businesses and to try to compensate for what the GOVERNMENT HAS DECIDED they're trying to keep people on the books, avoid the loss of skilled staff (I know they'll still be there after this but the companies might not be if they have to keep them on the books) , get companies to continue to put some cash into the system (NI and possibly some PAYE), maintain some sense of normality in society, avoid a huge burden on the social care system, which is poor anyway plus a few things I can't remember off the top of my head. Yes, there will be some who take advantage but it's not going to be the majority and to be honest is probably financially irrelevant in the circumstances.

Some people are doing voluntary work (about 500,000 I think, way over the 200,000 or so the govt wanted) , some aren't. Some can't because they're vulnerable. For those that aren't what do you suggest they're supposed to do that will still allow for isolation, separation and try to prevent further transmission of this virus? Who will coordinate it? Isn't the government busy enough at the moment or should they be diverted from trying to prevent an NHS crisis ? Maybe you want to take on that coordinators role? If you're still working then I think you really should go the extra mile and lead it up anyway. Bull dog spirit and all that

Do you think the Government should be supporting the banks through this through guaranteeing loans? (I'm pleased to see they've told banks they need to take on some of the risk here by not asking for personal guarantees) Presumably they shouldn't support businesses either by providing grants to help cash flow? (Have you claimed one I wonder?) After all, they've done nothing for it?

You do realise that people don't choose to not work and "claim" 80% of their salary to stay at home doing sweet FA, don't you? If all those people who've been furloughed then go out and do voluntary work, then the whole point of people being furloughed is null & void and they may as well go to work as normal and earn 100% of their wages.

I was furloughed as of Wednesday, there's nothing I'd like more than to be able to go to work!

Nope - you have actually misunderstood the purpose of Furloughed - you should try listening to the Chancellor and what he actually states rather than your own take on it. (as a hint - it had nothing to do with trying to get people to stay at home; the scheme was announced prior to any lockdown. the idea was tohelp the downturn in the economy and lack of work for companies during this time. Working from home unless impossible was the advice to keep people at home)

Did i say everyone was happy to stay at home and earn 80% - if I did please point it out?

Nope - you have actually misunderstood the purpose of Furloughed - you should try listening to the Chancellor and what he actually states rather than your own take on it. (as a hint - it had nothing to do with trying to get people to stay at home; the scheme was announced prior to any lockdown. the idea was tohelp the downturn in the economy and lack of work for companies during this time. Working from home unless impossible was the advice to keep people at home)

Did i say everyone was happy to stay at home and earn 80% - if I did please point it out?
They tried to get people to stay at home voluntarily that initiated the crisis, that didn't work so it became "mandatory".
Edit: too many people ignored "unless impossible"

Last edited:
Firstly, you're off topic, what has this to do with bad companies???

Sole Traders & Self employed not companies then?

Last edited:
They tried to get people to stay at home voluntarily that initiated the crisis, that didn't work so it became "mandatory".

So was the scheme introduced before the lockdown?

Chancellor:

With the economic disruption deepening for businesses across the UK, the Chancellor once again announced a number of new economic measures to support businesses, individuals and employees. The CBI has been working closely with HM Treasury on behalf of businesses over the past few days to work through the support measures.

No mention of it assisting with the 'staying at home'

Last edited:

What has when the scheme was announced got to do with wanting people to go out and do voluntary work thus negating the advice for people to stay at home?

Did I say you said that everyone was happy to stay at home and earn 80%? - If I did, please point it out

Soul Traders & Self employed not companies then?
you know what I mean. You went off on a rant about spongers, not sole traders and Self employed.

Don't make the mistake of trying to be a smart arse, my patience is pretty thin at the moment trying to keep a business afloat without resorting to furloughing employees. I came on here for a bit of light relief and see the unfounded crap you posted.

Edit: I've reported myself.

Last edited:
I was pulled up by a mod last night for answering another load of crap you posted, Please stop it’s bad enough on other threads with all the other usual suspects.
I would like to ask you what are you doing volunteer wise for 20 hours a week?

you know what I mean. You went off on a rant about spongers, not sole traders and Self employed.

No I didn't - thar was your perception of me rather than what I wrote.
The thread is about businesses taking advantage of the coronavirus pandemic and the post I made is perfectly legitimate that there will be individuals exploiting the situation.

I have been retired for 20 years and have always done voluntary work - at present I am checking on vulnerable neighbours, shopping for them and other odd jobs& sods.

The thread is about businesses taking advantage of the coronavirus pandemic and the post I made is perfectly legitimate that there will be individuals exploiting the situation.

I have been retired for 20 years and have always done voluntary work - at present I am checking on vulnerable neighbours, shopping for them and other odd jobs& sods.

How are individuals exploiting the situation?

How are individuals exploiting the situation?

There are several small companies and self employed people still working as normal but claiming 80% wages for themselves & staff.

There are several small companies and self employed people still working as normal but claiming 80% wages for themselves & staff.

So firstly, not people who've been furloughed then

And secondly, how do you know about these "small companies and self-employed people"?

Yep - that's the 'honourable excuse' the skivers like to use.

Your latest statement changes the context though. They can't still be working and sitting at home doing Sweet FA now, can they?

If you can prove they're claiming while still working then report them. If all you've got is anecdotes then you really don't have that much and just spreading unsubstantiated gossip.

Nothing like a bit of compassion for your fellow man is there?

So firstly, not people who've been furloughed then

And secondly, how do you know about these "small companies and self-employed people"?

Because they are people I know personally.

Can you tell me how you have been furloughed?

What proof is there?

A business can just say they have furloughed staff but the staff could still be working.

Nothing like a bit of compassion for your fellow man is there?

Far to many of my 'fellow men' take the p*** out of any 'benefit' system and use it to their advantage.

Most don't but a significant number will.

Far to many of my 'fellow men' take the p*** out of any 'benefit' system and use it to their advantage.

Most don't but a significant number will.
You forgot to put "in your opinion" in front of your last comment.

Others may well take a different view.

And how many of them are there (that you know personally)?

What do you mean by "how you have been furloughed"? My employer has furloughed me so I cannot work for the immediate future and will receive 80% of my pay. How else do you think it works?

What proof is there?

Pretty sure it's all recorded

A business can just say they have furloughed staff but the staff could still be working.

Pretty sure for the vast majority of employers, that isn't the case.

What proof is there?

I think you will find they have to prove staff have been furloughed for a minimum of 3 weeks.

And how many of them are there (that you know personally)?

What do you mean by "how you have been furloughed"? My employer has furloughed me so I cannot work for the immediate future and will receive 80% of my pay. How else do you think it works?

Pretty sure it's all recorded

Pretty sure for the vast majority of employers, that isn't the case.

Have you received any written proof or any form of contract from your employer?

Where has it been recorded?

There is no portal available untill later this month for employers to claim the money back.

I think you may be a bit trusting in human nature TBH.

My daughter has been furloughed, she received a letter and the company notify HMRC.
How else would they receive the 80% supplement?

My daughter has been furloughed, she received a letter and the company notify HMRC.
How else would they receive the 80% supplement?

As previously stated the system won't be up and running until later this month.

It lends itself wide open for abuse.

My wife has been furloughed, she had to sign a document saying that she was willing to do so, and said document mentioned something about tax etc, so one can only assume that employers have to report it (and how would the government know what to pay and into what account?).....

Have you received any written proof or any form of contract from your employer?

Where has it been recorded?

There is no portal available untill later this month for employers to claim the money back.

I think you may be a bit trusting in human nature TBH.

I have received notification via email from my employer.

I get paid (80%) at the end of the month by my employer, it is up to them to then claim it back from the government

My daughters place of employment is shut, its on the high street so quite easy to check
Also why would someone being paid wish to go to work putting themselves and others at risk?

What proof is there?

If you have information or evidence of abuse. I strongly urge you to report this.

The NHS funding comes from tax revenues and at the current time and when this is all over its only proper that everyone pays their fair share to support this

Reactions: dod
My daughters place of employment is shut, its on the high street so quite easy to check
Also why would someone being paid wish to go to work putting themselves and others at risk?

For some 'cash in hand' and the easy opportunity to make money.

As previously stated the system won't be up and running until later this month.

It lends itself wide open for abuse.
So how are these people you know getting this money?

I think you will find they have to prove staff have been furloughed for a minimum of 3 weeks.
at the moment the guidelines don't actually specify what proof if any is required. I suspect that the Govt will assume that most people will be honest (most are) and only claim if they're actually putting staff on furlough. I'd also suspect that any found to be abusing the system will quite rightly be hammered.

You will need to calculate the amount you are claiming. HMRC will retain the right to retrospectively audit all aspects of your claim.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme#claim

If a business does that and 1 furloughed employee gets caught carrying out work for that business then the business loses payments to all employees.

Is this the place all the alleged dodgy dealings are happening?

images.jpg

So ....... Who here actually believes that this won't happen?

So ....... Who here actually believes that this won't happen?

Not to any great extent.
I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of HMRC if caught out.

There's more t worry about at the moment.

Back