Critique another Dillon

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Every now and then when playing hare images a pic occurs which takes,a guy my age back to an animated slightly nuts TV kids programme called the Magic Roundabout. There was a really cool laid back rabbit/hare,I dunno:D called Dillon,man I loved him when I was tiny This is one of those frames. Cool little ambush stalk on a blindingly lovely day,as always i'm obsessed with one target and my lady is sat quiety screaming as a barnie starts to build ( feed up) for kids in front of her. But who can resist a chiiled hare,fella was zonked .bless 'im

I go to this special little place to see these hares,ya know game keepers get this bad rep,but this place never fails to amaze,they've had the owl guys in lots of boxes up we know one little barn well,great ambush point. It's like they were quing up for a nest site in in days. they are iin there.

I completely stuffed a roe stalk,why a little shiny bright thing landed at my feet. I've never seen ,knowingly ,a brambling,so this first so unexpected blew me away and the deer clocked me,hey ho got a snap. The brambling was there because the landowner and keeper put a bit out for the little birds,

We tend to hear about the keeper that has been done for something terrible regarding BOF normally,But when one sees behind the scene i feel it's a shame we don't hear about the folks that put a couple of extra bags for grub out for little farmland birds. That is above their normal efforts a couple of extra 400KG bags that is. Folks I'm incredibly lucky to have been given access to a place i've know was slightly special for years,it's sort of awesome seeing why there is so much living there.

Shooting will always be a devisive subject we all love nature,what ever those views,it's awesome watching the other side of what we so oft hear about a game keeper

Sorry for rambling , ( so much food for little birds who knew !!) Best of all saw the first leveret of the year on sunday ha ha little fella done me what's new;) but I know where he lives.:banana:.................... and hares mate in march huh:D

Image Canon 1Div 400 DO is ii ext 1.4III 1/600 f 5.6 iso 1600 dpp the pscc processing nr sharps curves levels cloned a couple of dust bunny's as framed not cropped any thoughts please share crit thoughts ideas welcome,

_70F7304 another Dillon sm jpeg by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care

stu

Thanks for the pleasure, Stu! :)
This guy looks so serene and almost majestic in the grass! :cool:

Nothing to critique Stu.
It’s perfect as it is.
I remember the magic roundabout, was quite funny.

Ha, brown hares always remind me of the "Speedy Gonzalez" clip in a recording studio... "Too loud man, too loud" :D

Nice shot too, I wish I knew where I could see some hares, lovely animals....

Thanks for the pleasure, Stu! :)
This guy looks so serene and almost majestic in the grass! :cool:

Thank you Daniel, one of the things that I've noticed or rather learnt from spending time with these hares is how expressive their faces can be. I didn't really get that at first,good words buddy serene/majestic;)

Nothing to critique Stu.
It’s perfect as it is.
I remember the magic roundabout, was quite funny.

Ahh someone will find something Peter, there is always a bit more to learn ,but cheers for the words buddy very kind. Ha ha the Magic roundabout has much to answer for,but I loved Dillon so much as a tiny kid,he was always going to get mentions in my hare images.

Gorgeous Stu

It's good to hear about people who truly care for wildlife, who don't get any credit but do it anyway. That's the real definition of caring.

Thanks Jan. Mate we live in the countryside,folks from more urban places don't get to hear this type of thing about a game keeper. Only bad stuff sadly,I wanted to share somethiing that I thought might make the odd person stop and think.

Beyond the sheers scale and effort,behind a bit of bird food,frankly it takes feeding the birds to a whole new level those 800KGS of food,(an extra to normal bought in because of the extreme weather),still have to be fed out ,even in the hardest harshest conditions. Keepers are busy guys working all hours anyway,to add that workload in to a hectic schedule just for some farmland birds,speaks volumes to me. Then one adds in the active encouragement of birds of prey,I think the owl boxes were in double figures,that they have put up Jan. I see buzzards, red kites, sparrow hawk, kez, merlin, besides the LO's and barnies at this site. It's all down to a plan of land management and a lot of effort. Not all keepers are bad guys,you probably know this like I do,but not every one gets a chance to make a more informed viewpoint,I guess that's why I felt a need to go off on one. It is also fitting because I don't think I'd be showing these hare images,over and over without the care given by landowner and keeper,there is a reason that hares are a bit more dense here than many other places !!

I really do like that Stuart (y)

Cheers Lee mate call me stu everyone does, thanks for taking the time to comment

Ha, brown hares always remind me of the "Speedy Gonzalez" clip in a recording studio... "Too loud man, too loud" :D

Nice shot too, I wish I knew where I could see some hares, lovely animals....
Hey Steve,I can hear that clip" too loud man";),but I can't place it for love nor money to something visual:( getting old mate brain is fried

You know I'm gonna say field craft to ya don't ya bro:D That will find you a hare and get ya close.but that ain't much help if there aren't many about where you are....or are there?? Steve where are you based roughly,in the country.??, Mate folks do not see them,even under their collective noses. I'm more than a bit mad don't have great eyes wear specs,somehow one's eyes get honed to hare spotting,I think it's knowing the right colour blob to look for. Naturally that is very simpliistic the FC means I've got half an idea which field I should be looking in,one builds a picture I guess in one's mind of where they might be. There is a spot local to me where folks come from all over,I drove past spotted a leveret and an adult stopped for a piccy,people all around me were asking what I was making images of,they just couldn't see what was right in front of them. So I know first hand how tricky to spot they can be for others

I never give out site info on hares bar one spot very publicly known. I can't share that specific info on anywhere else Steve,in the wrong hands info about where hares live can be their undoing sadly. My very best friends don't even know where I go,to make images,I'm incredibly cautious

All that said and done i'd love you to find some hares , genuinely mate I can't help but want the joy I get to be in the hands of other like minded souls.So if there is anything I can help with shout kiddo, (y)

cheers all

stu

I like the blurred out fore/background Stu mate and the hare has great detail to it and the smug chilled expression just tops it off, a defo keeper you have :)

Another great capture Stu, OK i might get shot down in flames by some for this but, to me its not an easy photo to look at composition wise. I find my eyes being pulled to the light straw to the left and just feel it could do with a bit more room behind its bum or crop a bit more from the bottom to give the same spacing from the body. Otherwise dead envious of your field craft and location and your great write ups.Must say you are right about spotting things ,i think if you do a lot of wildlife spotting/ photography you get used to picking up on the slightest thing that are just of from the norm. I was chatting to a dog walker last season were i get my shots of adders and she said she had been walking the area of at least ten years and knew there were snakes their but had never seen one , as she started to walk of i turned and within a few paces i spotted one and called her back. She was over the moon at finally seeing one but in her mind thought they would be a lot bigger and fatter but she did find it fascinating.
Oh and on the advice you gave me the other week about there ears going up,well i should have paid more attention as yes i saw the ears up and that's about the last thing i saw of them ,as i just kept pushing on.

Cheers Martin thanks bit better light for the DO ..(.hope soon for you)........ It was a gorgeous day good to be alive but now,back to grey and wet and cold . So nice to have a bit of light and not trying to squeeze the last ounce out of the 1D iv though. When the magic works it works bro this day it did,today I pretty much screwed the whole shebang. Lordy couldn't make it up. But when it's there Martin sorting out what to keep is a mare mate,I'm so inept at really fine tuning.

Martin if ya don't mind I'll bring John in there ( hey mate)and just add,be brutal John........... you aren't hurting me giving your opinion ,I actively crave that facet of fora, no flaming bro we can have a damn good crack though and pull an image apart:D John with these hares I'm lucky first up that's a given,but they are still wild as hell. When that intangible,that magic works and they stay put,one naturally has to sort out what to keep,but iit's not one or two lucky frames (if I get my stuff together that is and don't mess every thing up. I take two or three frames bursts,but god they mount up.

My point though rather long winded is nuances now become important, It's no good me keeping 30.. 40.... whatever simialr frames.. So little things become very important, and those little things are I guess what push us forwards make us better. Hell I dunno bro one forwards three back seems to work for me lmao:LOL:

I'm unsure on the crop,though cheers for mentioning that,I'll look harder at them John. I think you are right about the bright grasses kiddo,maybe I can burn them a bit. These pale dead grasses don't 'alf reflect light John I get caught blowing them for a pastime, I think that bit is a great help

Yup one's eye somehow gets honed but it's lovely showing someone something special isn't it good for you John!! I had the same with a leveret having a mad five mins,priceless. This little old lady's eye's were saucers bro, she had never seen this let alone just a hare, Bless her she was all but bouncing herself I can't put that stuff into words

Don't be evious of my craft mate I mess up like a good un:) But if ya try hard enough sooner or later it don't matter how unlucky one is. Then one simply has to set the camera up GET THE ORIENTATION RIGHT and press the shutter doh.

Ahh John my first woodland hare honestly not one image in woodland,saw her coming a mile off.read it furpectly I.got down low waited on her................... didn't flip camera . I didn't press the shutter because I had then realised I would have cut her in half ........... I had this gorgeous frame given to me on a plate, I was there.............. tog AWOL :banghead:

Yup read those ears,watch for twitches on a dozy one ears down but not hard down........... a heads up....... maybe to a stretch/ getting restless?? They are tiny things John it's not natural reading ears so I'm learning like a good un. But they can make or break a stalk and the hopeful images.

take care lads cheers for the thoughts,

stu

Back