Another Ebay Joker

CP, I think a lot of these Chinese and Hong Kong sellers just pick a number out of thin air for their prices.

LOL... they are stupid... and they think everyone's like them! LOL

alot of japaniese and chiniese prices have risen recently as they arn making as much of a profit with the whole pound weakening thing.

i paid 290GBP for my tokina 10-17mm fisheye and now you wont see it for less than 350.

i havent anyway

All the HK etc. prices seem to have gone up, so anyone who is looking to buy 'tography gear is probably better off buying from the UK at the moment.

Was looking at the HK prices for spare official Canon batteries for my Canon 5D Mk II...they were £60 two weeks ago, but are now £85 :eek: This is typical really of the way prices have headed for anyone looking to import :thumbsdown:

markta, don't buy official batteries. They are stupidly overpriced wherever you look. The £10 ones are exactly the same and work just as well if not better. You can get cheap £10 batteries that actually have a larger capacity than the official Canon ones. Seriously, £60 for a battery is extortionate.

That eBay seller overcharges for everything, their 50mm f/1.8 is like £120. The 24-70 is £1,400 and their 70-200 f/4 is over £700...

What a rip off.

Last edited:
I guess they just hope a passing mug comes along - I saw those chaps a while back trying to flog a Sigma 70-200 for about £900 a few weeks back.

Looking at their feedback, no one buyers them, they just seem to sell tat.

BTW this should be in the Shopping Forum,

markta, don't buy official batteries. They are stupidly overpriced wherever you look. The £10 ones are exactly the same and work just as well if not better. You can get cheap £10 batteries that actually have a larger capacity than the official Canon ones. Seriously, £60 for a battery is extortionate.

That eBay seller overcharges for everything, their 50mm f/1.8 is like £120. The 24-70 is £1,400 and their 70-200 f/4 is over £700...

What a rip off.

Cheers 8utters :)

The 5D Mk II is a very new camera and when I did a search a few days ago, didn't seem to be many aftermarket batteries, certainly in the UK.

When I bought my new toy, I bought a grip realising the camera came with one battery. Ordered another to fill up the grip and that came with the camera as requested and paid for. Anyway, a week later, yet another LP-E6 arrived, sent in error free of charge, so now have 3 of them :eek:

Having been someone who is always honest at mistakes ie. too much change being given at supermarkets etc. I've decided I'm not paying to return this battery to HK.

I also have a 40D and did start buying Hahnel HL-511 batteries at about £26 each. No such equivalent available for 5D II as yet, early days but needed the spare batteries urgently, especially to cope with live view and movie mode.

One thing I will say about these new batteries though is they seem to communicate with the camera and there's a menu function that tells you the precise charge left in each battery plus how many shots each battery has taken. Also, shooting in cold conditions (0 degrees) renders just a 10% decrease in performance (number of shots taken per charge).

Wonder whether aftermarket batteries would match this :thinking::shrug:

Presumably the extra sync with the camera is an attempt to get users to stick to authentic Canon batteries?

Last edited:
I guess that there really are people out there with too much money to spend thinking that because it is on Ebay it must be a bargain!!!!

ill pm it to gary, he will buy it;)

I think there are people on there that are completely out of touch with second hand prices, some things i've looked at are cheaper new, even from a high st store

Back