Another Garage studio

could you get a funny one of them throwing their bus passes in the air.

as long as you;ve got a bunch of up for it pensions with a decent sense of humour the options for being creative are endless :)

could you get a funny one of them throwing their bus passes in the air.

as long as you;ve got a bunch of up for it pensions with a decent sense of humour the options for being creative are endless :)

I might rope some local person with a camera into helping as 2nd shooter :LOL:

Ill be lucky to afford one of those snappy snaps plastic cameras from the early 90's let alone one of those!

aiming to sell my guitar, amp and some other stuff and maybe get half of a 50D, if i can get the top half, with the meter in it and a tube of glue....

Ill be lucky to afford one of those snappy snaps plastic cameras from the early 90's let alone one of those!

aiming to sell my guitar, amp and some other stuff and maybe get half of a 50D, if i can get the top half, with the meter in it and a tube of glue....

I'm not a Canon expert are you clearly know but the 40D seemed like a decent enough camera and there are plenty about and reasonable money. I am sure you will get a few pounds for your camera too.....

that was another of my ideas, it all depends on how much i can get for my axe!

I'm not sure ill get anything for my camera, temped to see if i can mod it to take IR pics

that was another of my ideas, it all depends on how much i can get for my axe!

I'm not sure ill get anything for my camera, temped to see if i can mod it to take IR pics

I was going to do that to my D1x and really wished I had done but I needed the cash at the time towards my D700.

If you want a hand to mod the old camera then it shouldn't be a problem but if you are short of dosh for the main camera wouldn't it make more sense to sell your 20D and use the cash for your main camera as how often would you use the IR camera. If selling the 20D gives you enough with the extra cash to get a 50D wouldn't that be better than an IR 20D plus 40D.

110 Pensioners

Look on the bright side, at least you won't have trouble getting them to sit still :D

Darren if your contemplating getting the Hilite i wouldn't bother with the train, £100 for a piece of 8x7 vinyl is well over the top i think, i'm fairly sure you could get a piece for a 3rd of that price and shape it yourself, as regards the Elite pro light i think for the size room your using and some a fair bit bigger the 300 will suffice, although for the extra 50 quid the 600 would be better should you wish to expand, i was thinking pretty much the same myself recently, but i just wanted something to light the floor, so for now i've just gone with another smart flash 200, but a 600 maybe on the cards :)

All this money on extra lights and trails...

A roll of paper and a sheet of prespex total £80 And your lighting / stuidio is well on the way imho

MD

All this money on extra lights and trails...

A roll of paper and a sheet of prespex total £80 And your lighting / stuidio is well on the way imho

MD

We will see when you come along :)

I was thinking about the Hilite really to give me an easier re-creatable setup.

Look on the bright side, at least you won't have trouble getting them to sit still :D

Darren if your contemplating getting the Hilite i wouldn't bother with the train, £100 for a piece of 8x7 vinyl is well over the top i think, i'm fairly sure you could get a piece for a 3rd of that price and shape it yourself, as regards the Elite pro light i think for the size room your using and some a fair bit bigger the 300 will suffice, although for the extra 50 quid the 600 would be better should you wish to expand, i was thinking pretty much the same myself recently, but i just wanted something to light the floor, so for now i've just gone with another smart flash 200, but a 600 maybe on the cards :)

I am getting this setup to add to my current setup....

Lencarta are happy for you to change certain parts of a kit, you can't change all the bits.

SmartFlash Starter Kit with 2 umbrellas @ £269.95

2 x SmartFlash 200 (200Ws) Flash Heads (FLA010)
2 x Studio Light Stands (STA009)
2 x Reflectors (MOD006)
1 x White shoot through Umbrella (UMB004)
1 x Silver reflective Umbrella (UMB003)
1 x 4 channel Radio trigger/receiver (TRI008)
1 x 80cm 5-in-1 reflector set (REF001)
1 x 3-head carry case (BAG001)

Swap one of the SMartFlash 200 Heads for Ring flash

-1 x SmartFlash 200 (200Ws) Flash Heads (FLA010) - £129
-1 x Reflectors (MOD006)
+1 x Safari 600 Ring Flash Head + £249

Swap one of the SMartFlash 200 Heads for 300w Elitepro

+1 x ElitePro 300 Compact Flash Head + £199

Swap battery trigger for mains trigger

-1 x 4 channel Radio trigger/receiver (TRI008)
+1 x 4 channel Mains Radio trigger/receiver (TRI001)

£269.95 + 120 + 70

= £459.95

Changing the Elitepro 300w to 600w would cost a further £60

This setup would give me a couple of umbrellas for further options. I have the 95cm octo softbox now and am buying a Lencarta 140cmx40cm long softbox and a cheap 60cm square one.

I was never thinking of getting the white train for it as I was looking at using the same setup as ..MD..

The 600w would give me more options if I am going out and about and for £60 it is probably going to happen.

Yes i never thought about the chop and change option, which is something i could of probably done myself with my recent purchases, i do think the 600 will be a good addition for myself also at some point. now all i need is some models, but that's another story :)

Yes i never thought about the chop and change option, which is something i could of probably done myself with my recent purchases, i do think the 600 will be a good addition for myself also at some point. now all i need is some models, but that's another story :)

Luckily I have 2 daughters that will model for me, one of which is definitely going to do some modelling and looks like a model! The other is beautiful too but doesn't think she is :shrug: Plus there are a few locally including Vicky.

Have you thought of joining MODEL MAYHEM I have had load of offers of free modelling from there but don't join until you have 10 decent images to start with.

You also need to make sure that you fill in all the fields in the form.

Luckily I have 2 daughters that will model for me, one of which is definitely going to do some modelling and looks like a model! The other is beautiful too but doesn't think she is :shrug: Plus there are a few locally including Vicky.

Have you thought of joining MODEL MAYHEM I have had load of offers of free modelling from there but don't join until you have 10 decent images to start with.

You also need to make sure that you fill in all the fields in the form.

Not on model mayhem but i am on purestorm got about 6 photos on there which i think are pretty good, i was actually contacted yesterday by an older model, but that's for an outdoor shoot, so just waiting for her to get back to me, i have a friends daughter going to model for me next week, for a free CD and i have some more in another couple of weeks, i also have some baby portraits to do in September, they will be 6 months old, i'm guessing that will be a bit of a challenge :)

I am getting this setup to add to my current setup....

Lencarta are happy for you to change certain parts of a kit, you can't change all the bits.

Changing the Elitepro 300w to 600w would cost a further £60

This setup would give me a couple of umbrellas for further options. I have the 95cm octo softbox now and am buying a Lencarta 140cmx40cm long softbox and a cheap 60cm square one.

I was never thinking of getting the white train for it as I was looking at using the same setup as ..MD..

The 600w would give me more options if I am going out and about and for £60 it is probably going to happen.

Lencarta are happy to change/upgrade most kit contents, as long as it still ends up being a kit - in other words you have to buy core items such as lighting stands and radio trigger kit.

The idea behind (any) kit is to offer attractive price savings, so the more you buy the more you save, but it isn't possible to second guess what every customer will want to buy, and it isn't practicable to cover all the possible bases by offering hundreds of slightly different kits, so people can (and do) just ask for a quote with different kit contents.

When the new website is finished people will be able to add/change kit contents themselves, which will make life easier all round.

When the new website is finished people will be able to add/change kit contents themselves, which will make life easier all round.

That sounds like a very good addition, when is the new website coming into play ? and will it have those larger folding softboxes i mentioned :)

That sounds like a very good addition, when is the new website coming into play ? and will it have those larger folding softboxes i mentioned :)
Apparently there's a lot of work going on in the background but unfortunately I don't have a date yet.

And I don't have a date for the new range of folding softboxes + other new items, but they shouldn't be much longer.

Well just done a deal and swapped my Sigma 20mm f1.8 for a hilite and some cash so now have a hilite in the studio. Just waiting till pay day then placing the order with Lencarta for the rest of my kit.

So, you've started off this studio project with a supposedly budget of £200 :shrug:, and now you've spent how much exactly :p

Just out of curiosity, and to get a rough feeling on this, how much is a model for a days' shoot? And how long is her actual day? I'm just doing a rough comparison vs. a model in Saudi.

So, you've started off this studio project with a supposedly budget of £200 :shrug:, and now you've spent how much exactly :p

Just out of curiosity, and to get a rough feeling on this, how much is a model for a days' shoot? And how long is her actual day? I'm just doing a rough comparison vs. a model in Saudi.

Free if you look in the right place.

Well sort of :)

I was just going to empty the garage and paint it all with garage floor paint. In the end it was changed dramatically hence the dramatic change in amount. If you add on the cost of the change in equipment then we are looking at £3000 probably with £750 on the Safari lights, a hilite back ground, the stuff for the white floor/background and another £500 Lencarta order :)

And I've not paid anything for models yet.

I was just going to empty the garage and paint it all with garage floor paint. In the end it was changed dramatically hence the dramatic change in amount. If you add on the cost of the change in equipment then we are looking at £3000 probably with £750 on the Safari lights, a hilite back ground, the stuff for the white floor/background and another £500 Lencarta order :)

Do you want me to bring anything up with me matey sounds like you have more kit than me.....

MD

Don't you have sites like pure storm out there

Oh how I wish :(

Now, that's some pretty serious expense. Glad to see you can get away with it. Should I decide to spend that kind of money for models, my Ms. would have my balls for garter!

Last edited:
Do you want me to bring anything up with me matey sounds like you have more kit than me.....

MD

I have just got a hilite today but not yet had chance to do anything with the white floor/background or in fact try the hilite. I have the two Safari lights and 3 180w lights but nothing for the floor yet.

I have just got a hilite today but not yet had chance to do anything with the white floor/background or in fact try the hilite. I have the two Safari lights and 3 180w lights but nothing for the floor yet.

Planning to be at yours as close to 10am as possible " with family in tow" Lol

Being that close to the coast I will have to take them to the beach Lol BUt they might pose for a few shots...

I will chuck a few odds and sods in the car...

looking forward to learning off you buddy...

Dave

Now, that's some pretty serious expense. Glad to see you can get away with it. Should I decide to spend that kind of money for models, my Ms. would have my balls for garter!

Don't get me wrong Wail, I've done my fair share of moaning, but what Darren hasn't explained, is that some parts of that cost don't really count, as he's sold a few bits and pieces to fund certain things. Also, whatever large amount he spends on his hobby, he makes sure that he spends an equivalent amount on my jewellery-making (buying large tools I couldn't otherwise afford), so that I can't moan at him too much! :)

Don't get me wrong Wail, I've done my fair share of moaning, but what Darren hasn't explained, is that some parts of that cost don't really count, as he's sold a few bits and pieces to fund certain things. Also, whatever large amount he spends on his hobby, he makes sure that he spends an equivalent amount on my jewellery-making (buying large tools I couldn't otherwise afford), so that I can't moan at him too much! :)

Good for you..

And well done Darren.. Looking forward to showing the wife some of your work..
Dave

looking forward to learning off you buddy...

You're the white background expert :)

The last part of my purchases will be a few days AFTER you have been when I will be buying:

SmartFlash Starter Kit with 2 umbrellas @ £269.95

2 x SmartFlash 200 (200Ws) Flash Heads (FLA010)
2 x Studio Light Stands (STA009)
2 x Reflectors (MOD006)
1 x White shoot through Umbrella (UMB004)
1 x Silver reflective Umbrella (UMB003)
1 x 4 channel Radio trigger/receiver (TRI008)
1 x 80cm 5-in-1 reflector set (REF001)
1 x 3-head carry case (BAG001)

BUT

Swap one of the SmartFlash 200 Heads for Ring flash

-1 x Reflectors (MOD006)
+1 x Safari 600 Ring Flash Head + £249

Swap one of the SmartFlash 200 Heads for 300w Elitepro

+1 x ElitePro 300 Compact Flash Head + £199

Swap battery trigger for mains trigger

-1 x 4 channel Radio trigger/receiver (TRI008)
+1 x 4 channel Mains Radio trigger/receiver (TRI001)

£269.95 + 120 + 70

= £459.95

+ a 40cm x 200cm approx soft box
+ another light stand
+ a back drop stand
+ white, black and chromakey green back drop

Where are you getting your 40cm x 200cm soft box from Darren ?

Darren's photos or my jewellery? If the latter, I'd better make sure I've got a few things to show her.

The latter...

Your jewellery

Dave

Oh and black with two sugars..... Wink Wink

Dave

Where are you getting your 40cm x 200cm soft box from Darren ?

Don't know yet but I want a softbox of about those dimensions. I missed out on two that were being sold on here last week!

I'm renowned for getting side tracked and not making a brew so you will need to remind me :)

No .......!!!!!!!!! I sent that one to your lovely wife.... lol

YOU will be busy...

Dave

Don't know yet but I want a softbox of about those dimensions. I missed out on two that were being sold on here last week!

I'm looking at something that size myself, but i do really want a folding one, not sure they exist though :|

Back