(Another) kit consolidation thread!

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at a few of my hobbies of late (photography, golf, watches) and they have a lot in common - I end up gathering more kit than I can use or need!!

In the last 18 months I really got bitten by the film bug, started buying (and fixing) various cameras, home developing, etc - I'm still hooked, but I really don't need all that I have collected. So I decided to thin out my collection a little!
Whilst thinking about what I should and shouldn't keep from my film collection, I also started to look at my digital gear - much the same story - I have too many different setups, yet I can only really carry and use a couple at a time - that and my tastes in photography style have changed over time. A familiar story for many of us I'm sure !!

This is the kit I have currently...

Canon 5D classic + grip
Canon EOS M (plus EF adapter)
50mm EF 1.8 STM
85mm EF 1.8
10-18mm EF-S STM
22mm EF-M 2.0 STM

Ricoh GR

Mamiya RB67 + 127mm f/3.8 & 50mm f/4.5 + 2 120 backs
Yashica MAT-124G

Leica M3 + LTM 50mm Summicron f/2
Olympus OM4 + 28mm f/2.8 & 135mm f/3.5

Rollei 35S
Olympus XA
Yashica Electro 35
Canon Sureshot Supreme

I did have more Canon gear, but sold some of that off last year - moving from a 40D kit to the 5Dc to try FF digital and see what the fuss was about with the 5Dc image look.

The film choice was fairly easy - my main passion with film is medium format, I love the Mamiya for the format, changeable backs, etc but it's quite a big lump. That leads me to also keep the Yashica 124G as it is a lot lighter, and easy to chuck over your shoulder for the day - I'm also just as pleased with the results from this camera.
I could give up on 35mm in favour of medium format, but the M3 is just a lovely camera to use, I can't move it on just yet!! The OM4 was given to me, so that's a keeper (and still very new to me) and the Electro 35 was my first film repair project, is a minter, takes good pictures and is not worth a lot, so is also a keeper!!

The main issue is with my digital setup. I remember when I bought my EOS-M, I loved the results from the 22mm, and also the size - but ultimately, I didn't and still don't like the ergonomics. It's a small camera, but still fairly bulky. It's a bit clunky to use and in many instances I just wish I had an EVF. I bought the EF adapter to get more crossover between my kit, but tbh, I just find the body awkward to use with EF/EF-S zooms or bigger primes, and would sooner use my 5D.

The 5Dc I love for it's simplicity, the extra width that 'full frame' gives and the extra DOF control. I have been really pleased with the look and colours of the images from it, but sadly have not used it as often as I thought I would. This is partly due to my move to more film shooting, but also due to the ease of slipping something slimmer into my bag or pocket for casual shooting. I can also see the limitations in it's high ISO performance, as well as AF in low light (I stick to the centre point in low light). I have not thoroughly compared apples to oranges, but I expect something like a Fuji X-Trans or Olympus EM1 would give it a run of it's money in IQ and also run rings around it with low light capability. Certainly from the reviews I have read the images look really goo and compare well to much more modern kit than my 5Dc.

I have also found that over time, since owning the Ricoh GR and the film cameras - I much prefer prime lenses. Mainly because I don't like to have too many choices, with a prime you adjust your framing to what you have and what your feet can move to!! Simple. I am also moving towards the RF style bodies over the DSLR format, slightly slimmer, manual dials rather than menus, etc.

The only thing I worry I will miss about the DSLR is focus speed, but realistically, the 5D classic is pretty slow (I had a 40D before that) and I only really shoot action once a year, if that. And I used to use my 40D for that!!

So my current thinking is to keep the bold, and use the funds to move to a single digital interchangable lens setup.

My current thinking is either the Fuji Xpro1 (or 2 if I got along with the system) or XE-2/3, or maybe the Oly EM-1 (i or ii), with probably a 35mm, 50mm and 85/100m equivalent prime setup. Maybe something wider, but I have the GR (and wide-ish film options).

I'm drawn to the Xpro1 as it is a cheap entry int the Fuji system, then if I felt I got on with the system I would consider moving on to the Xpro2 if I felt the need.

For those who have used the Fuji Xpro and XE bodies, is the OVF a worthwhile reason to buy the Xpro over the XE? Do you find you use it? I prefer the form factory and larger dials of the Xpro, but can see that the XE-2/3 is a fair bit smaller which perhaps makes it pocketable with the right lens.

I have read a few reviews on the EM-1 and it sounds really really good. Well built, well specced and great IQ. The only thing that puts me off is that for a small camera the grip looks like it adds a lot of bulk, making it less pocketable than the Fuji options.

I've rambled on a bit (sorry), but I gather there have been quite a few who have taken similar steps - do you guys think I will miss the 5Dc once I had a Fuji X or Oly OM-D in my hands?? If not, out of the two systems, which one sounds like it would suit me best?

Since you have some Canon lenses already, what about replacing the 5c and the EOS M with the R or RP? Then you get full frame and possibily better ergonomics (I've not tried the EOS M, so not sure how the R or RP compare). The RP is quite small although the lenses are not, so it's not really pocketable. EF-M lenses wouldn't fit, but EF and EF-S would

I love my EM1ii, and it's good for action, but it's not pocketable either. I can go on a long hike with a full complement of lenses without backache. If I'm off for a city break then the Pen F comes with me - no grip, so small, and very easy to carry with small primes, but no good for action. I also love the black and white jpegs it produces.

I've never used any Fuji's but I'm sure I'd enjoy using those too.

Since you have some Canon lenses already, what about replacing the 5c and the EOS M with the R or RP? Then you get full frame and possibily better ergonomics (I've not tried the EOS M, so not sure how the R or RP compare). The RP is quite small although the lenses are not, so it's not really pocketable. EF-M lenses wouldn't fit, but EF and EF-S would

I love my EM1ii, and it's good for action, but it's not pocketable either. I can go on a long hike with a full complement of lenses without backache. If I'm off for a city break then the Pen F comes with me - no grip, so small, and very easy to carry with small primes, but no good for action. I also love the black and white jpegs it produces.

I've never used any Fuji's but I'm sure I'd enjoy using those too.

I had not really considered the EOS-R/RP as I don't often go for brand new bodies (my Eos-m is the only body I ever bought brand new!), I tend to save a few pounds by buying last generation or older!

I shall take a look, but as you suggest, I suspect it will be bulkier than I'm looking for. I did consider a newer M body, but the thing is, by the time you have an EF adaptor on there and a reasonable size EF prime/zoom, the smaller body is moot imo.

I suppose with my GR and film cameras, pocket ability isn't the be all and end all (I often carry a bag) - the consolidation is more important. It's hard enough deciding which film camera to take out with me, let alone deciding on which digital i to take as well

Something compact would just see it get more regular use I guess.

I think this weekend I will have to get out to a local Jessops and take a look at the Fuji's, Olympus 4/3 and Canon mirror less systems to see what I think once in the hand. As I say, I won't be buying new but it will give me an idea.

Glad you mentioned the Pen-F, had never really considered one, but I do like the form factor having looked at a few reviews, so that would be a contender as well.

Back