North England Another Lake District query.

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Good evening, my wife is relenting and deciding to go on a short break to the lakes in mid April for my birthday.
Just wondered the best place to stay mainly for cheapness and location to the main action, I really don't need a hotel with the amazing views we will be out and about, so just need a bed for the night.
Any help would be appreciated

Not really sure what 'main action' means, but B&Bs over a weekend will likely be around £100 a night for the pair of you

If its a walking/photo trip, you may be out before breakfast anyway, so how about hiring a cottage instead? I've just checked with Sally's Cottages (who I use) and they have several for less than £300 for 3 nights starting Friday 14th April - just a thought :)

Dave

I've been 4 times and always stayed in Keswick, nice town, bus to most places and there's a wetherspoons!!

There is a place nearly opposite Thirlmere called The King's Head. They are normally reasonable and halfway between Keswick or Ambleside.

Be warned if you're on your own some rooms are a bit of a corridor but if like me you just need it clean; comfortable and with some wifi to keep an eye on the weather then it's fine.

Consider too that I believe you are in the school holiday period which will bump up any prices. I'm with @DG Phototraining. It may work out cheaper getting a cottage/ apartment. If you think how much some places add on just for breakfast, for the two of you'd probably be able to buy a week's worth for what the hotel wants.

Have you thought about a Youth Hostel? (YHA)
Cant get much cheaper!

I stayed in the lakes back in November, we got a 2 bed self catering cottage in Torver (just south of Consiston) for 4 nights. We booked through Air B&B staying wednesday to sunday (4 nights), I think it was around £350 all in. Compared to b&bs in that area it was much cheaper but there was 3 of us staying so it was a little cheaper splitting it 3 ways.

Normally I stay in a B&B in Eskdale. It's much quieter over that side of the lakes away from Windermere/Ambleside/keswick. That roughly £80-£90 per night with breakfast included but worth it the extra.

Thanks for all the advice and help people, had to change my hols now for two weeks later no school hols. Plenty to look at many thanks

I've been 4 times and always stayed in Keswick, nice town, bus to most places and there's a wetherspoons!!
You had me considering it till you made the last comment... Wetherspoon the McDonald's of pubs! :)

You had me considering it till you made the last comment... Wetherspoon the McDonald's of pubs! :)

Weatherspoon's aint THAT bad!

'The Wainwright' is a good pub too http://www.thewainwright.pub/
Was in there last time we went, had lunch there and nothing bad to say about it.
CAMRA awards and Pub of the Year last year!

I remember when that was The Four in Hand. We used to stay in a place in the stable yard round the back. Not very far to stagger home.

Place round the back is called 'Topsey Turvey'
Wetherspoons pubs are alright, £2.48 for Abbott ale, if you like to spend £3.50 a pint then go elsewhere!!!

Place round the back is called 'Topsey Turvey'
Wetherspoons pubs are alright, £2.48 for Abbott ale, if you like to spend £3.50 a pint then go elsewhere!!!
Spot on. The place is upside down. Sleep downstairs and live upstairs. Superb views over the Coledale Fells.

Back