Another lesson (pullback included)

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
I shot some friends children yesterday and all generally went well. There was one sequence that bugged me a little due to a small error of my own. I always shoot home studio on the shutter sync at 1/200 or 1/160 to kill ambient, but you do need to be careful with the rear command dial on a Nikon, which I didn't realise I had knocked a notch, which meant that I was at 1/250th until I noticed. Shutter sync is 1/200 on my D750 and so the shutter is visible on a sequence of shots. As it happens, when I shoot dark like this, I sometimes like to add a graduation at the bottom on occassion. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd have preferred to have not had that, live and learn!

Here's a few that I have processed..

39543562731_b38c7049a7_b.jpg

25672816868_bd379388c1_b.jpg

I think this may look better landscape so shall do that at some point.

39551968341_c1c0a3fe80_b.jpg
[/url]

My favourite, but there's a few more silly shots too

27768210469_0e10c8b6a8_b.jpg

Pullback to show you all my messy living room (the post did turn up mid shoot ha!)

I like those, I’d be very happy with those. Lovely smiles.

Stunning, Kris. And that looks a similar setup to mine :)
If I were to make any criticism, I'd say there's not quite enough separation on #2, but OMG, I'm in love with that lad's hair! I love photographing redheads!

Really lovely stuff as always :)

4 and 5 got me. cool! (y)(y)

No 5 show a great smile and eye contact to her brother and you captured it lovely.

I like those, I’d be very happy with those. Lovely smiles.

Thanks Rick.

Stunning, Kris. And that looks a similar setup to mine :)
If I were to make any criticism, I'd say there's not quite enough separation on #2, but OMG, I'm in love with that lad's hair! I love photographing redheads!

Really lovely stuff as always :)

I copied all I know off of you ;)

I think you're right. I have actually taken the shadows right down in processing but for some reason this shot still didn't quite have the pop as the others. I'll revisit and bring back some of the shadow detail.

4 and 5 got me. cool! (y)(y)

Thanks Kodiak.

Great set of shots.
I'd be well chuffed with those.

No 5 show a great smile and eye contact to her brother and you captured it lovely.

I do like that one myself for those reasons, lucky timing.

I think you have done a good job.

Cheers.

Very cute kids and well photographed!! In the interests of fairness (and the bizarre time we live in because everything gets misconstrued) I'd have like to see a reverse of #4

I'm very much 'from the left' in my compositions. The first is surprisingly central for me, but I normally compose left to right. Whenever I have flipped to suit something, it never looks right.

Very nice mate, sure the Parents are well chuffed. :cool:

She's still got a few to pick yet, but think so.

Fantastic captures of them. I love 'dark' photos and I'm sure their parents will be really pleased.

Another great set Kris, love no 4.

I'd be thrilled to conclude a session with those images.
Great contact between the subjects.
I do keep noticing the creases on the young lads nose in No4?

A lovely set, a real pleasure to see.
As someone with three older brothers, I'm sure they drive each other mad at times, but the expression from her in #5 cannot be faked.
Thanks for sharing.

Fantastic captures of them. I love 'dark' photos and I'm sure their parents will be really pleased.

So do I. Though they need to be printed large to be appreciated.

Another great set Kris, love no 4.

Thanks Kev.

I'd be thrilled to conclude a session with those images.
Great contact between the subjects.
I do keep noticing the creases on the young lads nose in No4?

Yes, I see that too but it wouldn't look right removed.

A lovely set, a real pleasure to see.
As someone with three older brothers, I'm sure they drive each other mad at times, but the expression from her in #5 cannot be faked.
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you very much.

Fabulous Kris.

Thanks for the pullback.

After faffing with this stuff for a good while now. I am as amazed today as I was when I first saw that you can turn a background black/dark in such a small space and produce quality images like this.

Gaz

Fabulous Kris.

Thanks for the pullback.

After faffing with this stuff for a good while now. I am as amazed today as I was when I first saw that you can turn a background black/dark in such a small space and produce quality images like this.

Gaz

Thanks Gary. I agree with you. I always wanted to be able to do some studio of my own but didn’t think possible for a good while. Space would certainly help with some lighting patterns but it still amazes me what you can do in a relatively small area. It’s good fun, I do enjoy it.

These are a credit to you, they are great. Your managing to get that light across your subjects beautifully creating lovely modeling without getting really bad fall off shadows on the farthest model.

Gaz

These are a credit to you, they are great. Your managing to get that light across your subjects beautifully creating lovely modeling without getting really bad fall off shadows on the farthest model.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz, very kind of you to say. Slowly putting it together, happier with most things this last 12 months. Starting to see a bit of me in my pictures at long last.

This weekend will be a challenge as have a family of 3 and so a tweak may well be needed, we’ll see, but they do want this style.

I shot some friends children yesterday and all generally went well. There was one sequence that bugged me a little due to a small error of my own. I always shoot home studio on the shutter sync at 1/200 or 1/160 to kill ambient, but you do need to be careful with the rear command dial on a Nikon, which I didn't realise I had knocked a notch, which meant that I was at 1/250th until I noticed. Shutter sync is 1/200 on my D750 and so the shutter is visible on a sequence of shots. As it happens, when I shoot dark like this, I sometimes like to add a graduation at the bottom on occassion. It's not a deal breaker for me, but I'd have preferred to have not had that, live and learn!

Been there, got the t shirt :(

Yup. I haven't yet thought of a way to stop myself doing it - other than shooting at 1/160 instead so I've got a click of wiggle room.

I think it happened when I was showing them some shots, I’ll have to try using the pad instead but it’s not the first time. I have gone the other way before. It’s a reminder to check regularly. Shame you can’t lock the dial. Did think about changing the front to the back as you’re more likely noticed the aperture change?

I think it happened when I was showing them some shots, I’ll have to try using the pad instead but it’s not the first time. I have gone the other way before. It’s a reminder to check regularly. Shame you can’t lock the dial. Did think about changing the front to the back as you’re more likely noticed the aperture change?

Hadn't thought about changing but I think my fingers have learnt the current layout!

Hadn't thought about changing but I think my fingers have learnt the current layout!

I have my studio settings set up on U2, which are very different than my normal settings for everyday. As essentially you’re shooting locked down, I don’t think it’d be a problem. But then, maybe I just need to be more careful or gaffer tape the dial!

What I didn't say was.. these are great!!

I especially like #5.
The reds of the skin look a tiny bit strong but that could easily be this monitor.

Thanks Simon, means a lot. I did bump the reds more a tad as the last edits were a little too yellow, it's right on the borderline IMO.

Great shots Kris, very well done.
Would you mind if I asked what kit you are using for the backdrop and stands? I'm looking to get more in to portrait shots and have been looking at some but there seems such a wide variety available it's hard to know what works and what's not worth bothering with. Cheers.

Great shots Kris, very well done.
Would you mind if I asked what kit you are using for the backdrop and stands? I'm looking to get more in to portrait shots and have been looking at some but there seems such a wide variety available it's hard to know what works and what's not worth bothering with. Cheers.

Apologies for the late reply. I’ve got the Flash Centre’s back ground kit, which comprises of two elinchrom clip lock standard stands and a telescopic manfrotto bar. The paper roll is a colorama charcoal full sized roll cut down a bit to squeeze it into my living room.

Back