Another moon shot

Edit My Images
Yes
As everyone has had a go, I thought I'd join in.

My first real go at getting the moon and I've started to shot in raw rather than jpeg so it's bound not to be that good.

As always tips, hints and all views very much welcomed

CRW_0073_01_filtered.sized.jpg

it's been croped, levels and highlights and put through noiseware

Thanks for taking the time to look

There's no exif so I don't know what kit you used.

The moon is a pretty bright subject so I'm surprised you needed noise reduction. Contrast looks a bit too high and some of the white spots look blown. You seem to have a image without camera shake so you are on the right track.

I shot RAW for mine. From memory in Rawshooter I changed the exposure a little, increased the 'shadow contrast' a bit, gave the sharpening slider a good shove to the right and that was it.

It appears that noiseware has sapped all the detail from your shot? The noise reduction programs are great but you must be very aware of the sacrifices and trade offs you are making.

I used my Canon 300D plus my sigma 170 - 500 lens appeture was 5.6 shutter speed not sure on this one as I took so many from dead slow to very very fast. I got a little carried away!!!!

Also not sure how to get the exif details with Rawshooter Premium six so any pointers most welcome

daveyuk said:
I used my Canon 300D plus my sigma 170 - 500 lens appeture was 5.6 shutter speed not sure on this one as I took so many from dead slow to very very fast. I got a little carried away!!!!

Also not sure how to get the exif details with Rawshooter Premium six so any pointers most welcome

To eliminate soft image above here's what I would do.

Forget about dead slow, the moon travels faster than you think, use a speed of 1/60 sec or faster.
I'm assuming you were at 500mm and f5.6 is wide open. Most lenses wide open are a bit soft so use the lens sweet spot ( depends on the lens but around f8 ).
Make sure it's on a tripod and use mirror lock up (if you have used the firmware hack on the 300D ) with cable release or self timer.
Remove any UV protection filter from the lens.
100 ISO.
Use the histogram display to ensure a good exposure.
Astronomers always allow some time for their telescopes to get down to the ambient temperature. No reason why we shouldn't do the same.

One point worth remembering.
After your camera and lens have been out in the cold it's a good idea to put them in a sealed plastic bag before you take them back indoors. ( electronics and condensation/moisture dont mix ).

I'm sure I've missed something. :ponders:

HTH
Cameron

daveyuk said:

In RawShooter | Premium 2006 if you click on the thumbnail or the image itself the basic EXIF info is shown at the bottom of the screen. If you want more detailed info, switch to thumbnail view and then select “Thumbnail and information” from the drop down menu at the top of the screen (third icon along) it looks a little like a man holding a piece of paper.

HTH

If by 'get the exif details in Rawshooter Premium', you mean 'keep the exif data embedded during the conversion', then on the Batch Conversion page, there is an option called 'Meta Data'. Select the drop down box, and change it from 'None' to 'EXIF', :)

I noticed it was out this morning too.

Anyone noticed Mars chasing the moon at night? It's the fookin' bright star near it.

lol I noticed the Moon last night, as the sun was setting, and man was it HUGE. Sat just above the Horizon.
By the time I'd gotten home and what not it was quite a bit higher, and much smaller :(

Back