Another moon....

Name
Toby
Edit My Images
Yes
According to flickr I haven't pointed my camera at the moon in 10 years. So last night I thought I would give it a go.
To be honest, the results surprised me. Not least because it is the first time I have seen any sort of colour in the moon.
Which leads me to a question:
This is from a single image with fairly crude processing in lightroom. However I took 20 images with the same settings so that got me thinking I might be able to pull out more detail/colour with stacking. I tried stacking 10 of the images in photoshop but the results were disappointing as it didn't really align the images correctly. So what is everyones prefered stacking method?

The Moon by Toby, on Flickr

I have always had issues trying to stack moon shots. In the end, I always seem to get better results from a single shot.
The clarity of the atmosphere makes a big difference as well.
My Olympus OM1 can do Hand Held High Resolution (HHHR) images that generate much more detail. It takes 8 shots in succession and moves the sensor 1 pixel L - R, Up - Down between each shot then stacks in camera. Creates a much larger file.

Last edited:
I have always had issues trying to stack moon shots. In the end, I always seem to get better results from a single shot.
The clarity of the atmosphere makes a big difference as well.
My Olympus OM1 can do Hand Held High Resolution (HHHR) images that generate much more detail. It takes 8 shots in succession and moves the sensor 1 pixel L - R, Up - Down between each shot then stacks in camera. Creates a much larger file.
Interesting. I think conditions last night were not bad. It looked pretty clear and the moon was fairly high overhead.
I did try a couple of high res shots (also available on my EM1mk2) but it didn't appear to give me much. Plus it appeared to only give jpgs, I much prefer raw files to play with. Anyway, I think I was more limited by the lens/atmosphere than the sensor size.
To be fair, I do need to go back and look at them all again as I didn't spend much time on the editing.

Well, I have just spent a couple of hours trying different stacking options and have come to the same conclusion you did. I get better images from a single shot.
The jpeg from the high res mode is also worse than the normal shot. Mostly because it causes colour artifacts that become obvious when I try to bring the colour out. Probably a consequence of it being a jpeg?

So what is everyones prefered stacking method?
Affinity (one time payment £67.99) is far better at aligning and stacking than Photoshop.
And don't forget that ( as google tells me) The Moon orbits Earth at a speed of 2,288 miles per hour.

Loverly image :)

I think you have done incredibly well with that image from the lens used,

Back