Another 'should I switch to Fuji' thread

For me the difference was night and day between the Fuji XT-2 and the Sony FF system, hence why I moved back to Sony. High ISO and DR is where I noticed the advantages and of-course the DOF differences.
Yes some individuals may harp on about it but having the ISO/DR specification headroom is a bonus, it’s better to have the ability to push the sensor further if you need it than not have the option.

I wouldn't buy a Sony if you paid me! My first dslr was a Sony and I had nothing but issues with it. It was an A200 - not exactly their finest moment, but the IBIS failed, the sensor back focused with every lens and it didn't help that it was ugly as hell even though it was one of their better looking cameras. I really dislike the look of them before I even hear what features they have, shallow?, maybe, but if it's something I'm going to carry around all the time I want to like it. That A200 almost drove me back to bridge cameras, what i had been using for years. I know they have improved, well, on everything bar looks, but I just have no time for them. If i was going FF I'd just go back to Nikon. We've talked about FX Nikons compared to crop sensor Fuji cameras, Sony is no different. In fact, up until recently weren't they making the sensors for Nikon's FX bodies?

I wouldn't buy a Sony if you paid me! My first dslr was a Sony and I had nothing but issues with it. It was an A200 - not exactly their finest moment, but the IBIS failed, the sensor back focused with every lens and it didn't help that it was ugly as hell even though it was one of their better looking cameras. I really dislike the look of them before I even hear what features they have, shallow?, maybe, but if it's something I'm going to carry around all the time I want to like it. That A200 almost drove me back to bridge cameras, what i had been using for years. I know they have improved, well, on everything bar looks, but I just have no time for them. If i was going FF I'd just go back to Nikon. We've talked about FX Nikons compared to crop sensor Fuji cameras, Sony is no different. In fact, up until recently weren't they making the sensors for Nikon's FX bodies?

I can understand how one bad experience with a brand can out people off, however Sony has moved on and is making the most progress in many different area’s.
I guess Sony has learnt from their early issues and built upon them.
To add balance, Nikon has had its fair share of issues, look at their D600 oil problems, D500 battery issues, D750 recalls and the micro-AF adjustments some have to faff about for different lenses etc

I have to say, having owned the best of both Sony FF and Fuji APS-C systems, they are excellent but Sony still leads if your after the better outright performance regardless of cost.

A DSLR doesn’t offer me anything technologically to make me want to go back to them. It’s decades old technology now that needs to move on.
Both Nikon & Canon know this (finally) hence their announcements of FF mirrorless coming in 2018, there announcements say a lot and they too know DSLR technology isn’t where the advancements are going to happen.

Yes the Sony (Sensor) business did and may still supply Nikon its sensors, they still supply Fuji and many other manufacturers.
Every decent smartphone manufacturer out there uses Sony sensors.
It gives Sony the upper hand and their mirrorless systems benefit from it.

Would it fit an X-T20? I can't access the classifieds section yet as I'm still all shiny and new :)
Yes, case-wise the 10 and 20 are the same even though the box says X-T10. It’s black and unused, the genuine Fuji one.

Looking in classifieds it seems to have been archived as I put it up a while back. I’ll try to resurrect it.

Does it stay on to the body? I mean it doesn’t always try to come off

Matt

Does it stay on to the body? I mean it doesn’t always try to come off

Matt
It's screwed onto the tripod thread. Remember, this is a half-case so there's no floppy front bit to come unclipped. The model number is BLC-XT10 and comes with a strap and a camera wrap.

It's screwed onto the tripod thread. Remember, this is a half-case so there's no floppy front bit to come unclipped. The model number is BLC-XT10 and comes with a strap and a camera wrap.
Sorry Matt, I've just sold it to someone I know.

Overrated compared to what though? ;)
I do agree both have their pros and cons.

That's kinda my point (Which I think some others missed). There are some small benefits between each system, which people who are pushing against the edges of either system will appreciate or wish they had. For 99% of people it's largely irrelevant now that the DX lens lineup is very competitive. Back in the day when there weren't so many good DX lenses you could argue the good glass with the right focal lengths was only available on FX but not anymore. I saw some fool on FB contest the other day that as a professional he would only ever shoot FX (I can't remember his exact wording but it was very pompous). Poor clown.

I have a 10-24 on my XT1, and its silly sharp, even at high iso, the only thing stopping me switching to fuji all in is the super telephoto's that canon make, fuji does touch them.

For short range fuji wins in my opinion, hands down. They are just such fun camera's to use!

I have a 10-24 on my XT1, and its silly sharp, even at high iso, the only thing stopping me switching to fuji all in is the super telephoto's that canon make, fuji does touch them.

For short range fuji wins in my opinion, hands down. They are just such fun camera's to use!

A Canon AF adapter is in prototype now :) That said, I'd want a big old grip on a Fuji before attempting to shoot with something like a Canon 600/4 :D

I can understand how one bad experience with a brand can out people off, however Sony has moved on and is making the most progress in many different area’s.
I guess Sony has learnt from their early issues and built upon them.
To add balance, Nikon has had its fair share of issues, look at their D600 oil problems, D500 battery issues, D750 recalls and the micro-AF adjustments some have to faff about for different lenses etc

I have to say, having owned the best of both Sony FF and Fuji APS-C systems, they are excellent but Sony still leads if your after the better outright performance regardless of cost.

A DSLR doesn’t offer me anything technologically to make me want to go back to them. It’s decades old technology now that needs to move on.
Both Nikon & Canon know this (finally) hence their announcements of FF mirrorless coming in 2018, there announcements say a lot and they too know DSLR technology isn’t where the advancements are going to happen.

Yes the Sony (Sensor) business did and may still supply Nikon its sensors, they still supply Fuji and many other manufacturers.
Every decent smartphone manufacturer out there uses Sony sensors.
It gives Sony the upper hand and their mirrorless systems benefit from it.

Sony are doing some great things with their tech. It’s great to see them innovating and pushing the spec sheet. However, where they continue to fail time and time again is the basics. The ergonomics, the design, the menus - all are a dogs dinner. Until these are addressed I think their cameras will appeal more to techies than photographers.

Sony are doing some great things with their tech. It’s great to see them innovating and pushing the spec sheet. However, where they continue to fail time and time again is the basics. The ergonomics, the design, the menus - all are a dogs dinner. Until these are addressed I think their cameras will appeal more to techies than photographers.

I wouldn’t say they are all dogs dinners as they work great as image capturing tools and the Sony A9 has addressed most of the minor niggles I faced with the A7RII.
However I also agree somewhat that Fuji have key positives which Sony hasn’t addressed like the ones you mentioned.
There no real winner for how the Fuji or Sony makes you feel as that’s very much user dependant. :)

Back