Another 'should I switch to Fuji' thread

Well, today I bobbed into Jessops and tried an X-T20. It has not made my decision any easier! The light- and compactness of it are astonishing. Almost felt as light as my phone. Well built, got the hang of the controls fairly quickly, and image quality seemed excellent from what I could tell on the LCD. So the quandary continues.

I also tried an X100F, which was bigger than I thought. I didn't like the aperture ring at all - far too narrow and fiddly for my liking.

Well, today I bobbed into Jessops and tried an X-T20. It has not made my decision any easier! The light- and compactness of it are astonishing. Almost felt as light as my phone. Well built, got the hang of the controls fairly quickly, and image quality seemed excellent from what I could tell on the LCD. So the quandary continues.

I also tried an X100F, which was bigger than I thought. I didn't like the aperture ring at all - far too narrow and fiddly for my liking.

Have you tried the X-T2?

The X100 series Aperture Ring has a couple of lugs on opposite sides to help with use for this reason. Pleased you like the X-T20

The X100 series Aperture Ring has a couple of lugs on opposite sides to help with use for this reason. Pleased you like the X-T20

Yes, but the whole lens assembly seemed a bit too narrow for my liking. Was all a bit cramped. The hybrid VF was very fancy though.

Have you tried the X-T2?

Out of my price range, alas. Also it doesn't really have much that I need/want that the X-T20 doesn't have already.

Last edited:

I use my X-T20 as a second camera as mostly use the X-T2, but I do love how small the T20 is and IQ is great.

I use my X-T20 as a second camera as mostly use the X-T2, but I do love how small the T20 is and IQ is great.

I was amazed at how light it was. AFAICS the IQ should be identical to the X-T2, having the same sensor and processor. I'm not fussed in the slighest about the video features, I have a rain sleeve for bad weather, and the EVF was big enough for me, so I'm happy :) Just need to save up for a long lens I think.

It will be the same, the differences are in build quality, the added thumb stick for the XT-2, weather sealing, a better AF system and better video [afaik] - also you can add a battery grip to the XT-2, you can't with the XT20, though I would suggest an add on non battery grip, the ones for the XT10 work.

Their long Tom (100-400) is pretty damn good too and accepts the teleconverters to take it up to a 200-800. Works great with the 1.4x to give a 140-560 f/8 and works OK (will AF and reasonably sharp) with the 2x if you need the extra reach (hard to crop for video and the combo is sharp enough for HD, although it's not as sharp as you might want for 4k.)

In fact, all the XF lenses I've used have been fabulous, although the AF speed on the 60mm macro was rather slow compared to the Nikkor 105mm on a D750.

How big do you print your photos to? If it's A4, then you really won't see much, if any, difference between a 16MP Fuji X-T1, a 24MP Nikon DX camera or even a 36MP Nikon FX. By A3 the 16MP Fuji is (not unreasonably) running out of steam, and higher res cameras will start to show some advantage.,

The other unavoidable issue is lack of choice of lenses for the Fuji. There are only a couple of independents offering lenses. It's an expensive game switching system, and for the Fuji there are few budget options.

Having said that, I love my Fuji to bits, and if I had to live with just its 35mm f/1.4 lens, then I would.

How big do you print your photos to? If it's A4, then you really won't see much, if any, difference between a 16MP Fuji X-T1, a 24MP Nikon DX camera or even a 36MP Nikon FX. By A3 the 16MP Fuji is (not unreasonably) running out of steam, and higher res cameras will start to show some advantage.,

The other unavoidable issue is lack of choice of lenses for the Fuji. There are only a couple of independents offering lenses. It's an expensive game switching system, and for the Fuji there are few budget options.

Having said that, I love my Fuji to bits, and if I had to live with just its 35mm f/1.4 lens, then I would.

I see we're in a war of xpro1! :ROFLMAO:

I printed big canvases from the xt1 shots no problem. Also from 12mp D700. You don't need anymore than 12mp really. Sensor size is more important

Yup, if you can't print fairly big prints, much bigger than A3, from a 16mp sensor, you're doing it wrong. It's not that long ago pro photographers were using 10-12mp sensor cameras, including cropped, for high end work. I think people throw numbers about for the sake of it lately, as if to justify these modern high MP count offerings. 99.9999% of the people who buy a D850 will never print larger than A3, they just get off on viewing their images at 400%, while anyone else viewing won't look at them above 50% at most

"Full frame" is overrated. There are pros and cons, it's not a binary decision. I'd go so far as to throw the old Zen of "if one has to ask, one doesn't understand the argument well enough for a change in system to be meaningful" out there

Overrated compared to what though? ;)
I do agree both have their pros and cons.

It is over rated, I get sick of seeing people harp on about DOF and DR differences, people who don't even make the most of the differences to begin with. I shot FX for 5 years, and sure, it was nice, but so are the crop sensor cameras I used along side. The main difference to me was the massive file size difference! Yes, you can afford to crop harder, and yes you get a wider FOV with your lenses and a little more shallow DOF ... but these things are not what the viewer will immediately jump to and think "Ah, nice DOF, must be full frame!" ... I've seen people post better shots using M43 sensors than others with full frame cameras 6 times the price. It's down to the shooter in the end really. We see people cheering over the D850 getting the 100 on DXOmark, and all i can think is - "yay ... now your down sized, heavily cropped, over processed-to-the-point-it-wouldn't-matter-if-you-shot-with-a-camera phone images will look super on DPR forums ...

Oh lord I'm in heavy cynic mood today .,... :LOL:

"Full frame" is overrated. There are pros and cons, it's not a binary decision. I'd go so far as to throw the old Zen of "if one has to ask, one doesn't understand the argument well enough for a change in system to be meaningful" out there

FX isn't overrated if you 100% pixel peep and don't like noise in your images (I'm guilty of this and wish to hell I didn't do it).

There's no substitute for physical sensor size, if there was no one would buy FX or digital medium format bodies.

To say it's overrated is a bit of a daft comment to make.

My old D700 would trounce an XT2 or a EM1 mk2 but my back won't take it nowadays.

I've just spent the last 4 hours weeding the garden and the last thing I want to do is take my Canon 6D kit out for some shots.

I'm actually looking at the Panasonic GX8 for a change and to lessen the weight. But the noise in the images even at base ISO is something that makes me shudder.

I see loads of M43 images on Flickr with no noise whatsoever, how do they do it? Is there a processing trick I've not discovered yet?

AAAAARRGGHH!!!-

FX isn't overrated if you 100% pixel peep and don't like noise in your images (I'm guilty of this and wish to hell I didn't do it).

There's no substitute for physical sensor size, if there was no one would buy FX or digital medium format bodies.

My old D700 would trounce an XT2 or a EM1 mk2 but my back won't take it nowadays.

I've just spent the last 4 hours weeding the garden and the last thing I want to do is take my Canon 6D kit out for some shots.

I'm actually looking at the Panasonic GX8 for a change and to lessen the weight. But the noise in the images even at base ISO is something that makes me shudder.

I see loads of M43 images on Flickr with no noise whatsoever, how do they do it? Is there a processing trick I've not discovered yet?

AAAAARRGGHH!!!-

I can understand about the pixel peeping Ive been/still am guilty of this, but If we all printed our images instead of looking at them on a big computer monitor hoe much would we notice the difference then?
Started to do more printing myself and comparing the output from the D810 I use to have and the X-T2 and suffice to say I was tempted to pick up a s/h D810 with the D850 coming out but Im happy just using the X-T2

AAAAARRGGHH!!!-

At what exactly? AF? nope, IQ? nope, noise handling? debatable ... I had the D800E and I'm not even kidding when I say i don't notice much of an IQ loss on the XT-1, only the smaller size files.

I've been eyeing m43 cameras also. I see them as more for decent light or ocf work, they are a bit cruddy when you push the ISO. But they have some advantages for macro, landscape or wildlife, I also really want that 5 axis stability! Oh if Fuji only had that ...

Last edited:
It will be the same, the differences are in build quality, the added thumb stick for the XT-2, weather sealing, a better AF system and better video [afaik] - also you can add a battery grip to the XT-2, you can't with the XT20, though I would suggest an add on non battery grip, the ones for the XT10 work.

I believe the AF system is the same actually. I'll certainly look at a grip, though I am quite slender of finger so didn't find the one I tried uncomfortable at all. I am considering a Peak Design Cuff for a bit of extra security though.

I believe the AF system is the same actually. I'll certainly look at a grip, though I am quite slender of finger so didn't find the one I tried uncomfortable at all. I am considering a Peak Design Cuff for a bit of extra security though.

I thought the XT-2 had better continuous focus options? someone who's used both could tell you better though. For an extra £20-30 I think a bit of extra grip is worth it, not seen the peak design one

My D750 is just ahead on high ISO noise handling but the D700 loses out marginally due to its lower pixel count and slightly more aggressive in camera noise handling of JPEGs. The D750's true OVF also makes it easier to find stars to focus on and the physically connected focus ring makes manual focus locking easier IME.
It's still the Fuji kit that gets grabbed most of the time though!
IF an FF kit could be made as small and relatively light as the Fujis, I could be tempted away but until then, I'll run both systems and use them to their strengths.

There's features across all formats I'd love to see in one camera. One of the new Olympus models has live view for long exposure, you can just stop the exposure once it's how you want it. That's pretty neat! Also they have that insane 5 axis stabilization on top of their native lens stabilization, and the bodies can stabilize any lens, inc adapted old mf lenses. I've seen hand held video footage from them that you'd swear was shot on a tripod or high end gimble. A full frame camera with those features with a dual VF in an XT-2 body would be all I would ever need. They could probably charge whatever they like for it too.

Last edited:
I'd have one of them as well - along with the kit 4-1200mm f/1 lens with adjustable distortions that weighs under 1kg! As long as it's under a grand (with the body.) Did I mention that it'll be properly waterproof as well - down to 50 metres dynamic depth... :D

Hard to single one thing out TBH. I don't actually like using it in general during sunrise/sunset for some reason, whether it is the EVF/Screen, there's just something that I don't like.

The Dynamic Range is not as good as the D810, although I didn't expect to notice that I really did.

Certain things just don't look right, again hard to put a finger on. Images are certainly not as detailed and may even look un-natural at times (shooting RAW) similar to which skin looks soft or unnatural in certain conditions.

Like I said before it's a nice camera for times when I want something small but not a camera I'd use unless that was the factor, it's just not good enough IMO especially now that I have a D850 which is just in another league.

That's how I feel comparing my XT-1 to my canon, it's just missing something and it's hard to put a finger on it. Fuji is good but missing something.

I've actually going to take the weight disadvantage and take my 5D4 with a 35/85 combo to Japan over a Fuji with 23/35/56 combo because of all the little differences. The only disadvantage for the Canon is weight and size so I just got to man up.

My D750 is just ahead on high ISO noise handling but the D700 loses out marginally due to its lower pixel count and slightly more aggressive in camera noise handling of JPEGs.

That'll trust me to rely on my memory! Just done a couple of quick and dirty comparison shots, one with the D700 and 105mm and the other with the X-T1 and the 55-135 zoom. Both on their highest native ISO of 6,400. The X-T1 trounces the D700. Cleaner and more detail. No marginal about it. Not going to fart around changing lenses and digging the D750 out as well as the X-T2 or do a load of cropping to post the comparison shots so you'll just have to take my word for it or do the comparisons yourselves.

The XT-1 is not far off my old D800 for noise handling. I know the D800 wasn't renowned for that side, but it is still an FX body and people were surprised at the time how well it handled noise considering the 36mp. I wouldn't use 6400, but 3200 is comfortable. XT-2 users who upgraded from the T-1 reckon the XT-2 has at least a stop better ISO capabilities so that sounds about right.

At least a stop, possibly more.

After a long time out of photography, I was toying with a Fuji XT10 or a Nikon D5300. After holding them both and using them both I went for the Fuji and got the following..

Fuji XT10 Body
Fuji 16-50mm Lens
Fuji 55-200mm Lens

All for £560

Well chuffed and the kit is as new condition and fully boxed.

Going be taking some pics and will put them up in a few days

Matt

After a long time out of photography, I was toying with a Fuji XT10 or a Nikon D5300. After holding them both and using them both I went for the Fuji and got the following..

Fuji XT10 Body
Fuji 16-50mm Lens
Fuji 55-200mm Lens

All for £560

Matt

Good stuff, you should drop into the Fuji X-T1/X-T2/X-T10 Owners Thread, it's always active and there's some good guys and gals in there that'll help you with any issues. The 55-200 is a seriously good tele, I'm still sour over selling mine a while back

Fuji XT10 Body
Fuji 16-50mm Lens
Fuji 55-200mm Lens

All for £560

Matt

That's an amazing deal, the 55-200 is worth over £400 on its own! :)

Ouch. Looks like Ive had a bit of good luck for a change.

25j828o.jpg

34hgcyf.jpg

33nj2bp.jpg

It is over rated, I get sick of seeing people harp on about DOF and DR differences, people who don't even make the most of the differences to begin with. I shot FX for 5 years, and sure, it was nice, but so are the crop sensor cameras I used along side. The main difference to me was the massive file size difference! Yes, you can afford to crop harder, and yes you get a wider FOV with your lenses and a little more shallow DOF ... but these things are not what the viewer will immediately jump to and think "Ah, nice DOF, must be full frame!" ... I've seen people post better shots using M43 sensors than others with full frame cameras 6 times the price. It's down to the shooter in the end really. We see people cheering over the D850 getting the 100 on DXOmark, and all i can think is - "yay ... now your down sized, heavily cropped, over processed-to-the-point-it-wouldn't-matter-if-you-shot-with-a-camera phone images will look super on DPR forums ...

Oh lord I'm in heavy cynic mood today .,... :LOL:

For me the difference was night and day between the Fuji XT-2 and the Sony FF system, hence why I moved back to Sony. High ISO and DR is where I noticed the advantages and of-course the DOF differences.
Yes some individuals may harp on about it but having the ISO/DR specification headroom is a bonus, it’s better to have the ability to push the sensor further if you need it than not have the option.

Back