Another spider and sprintails and a mite

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
A small spider that I found under the same log as the other day I tried to shoot this one at the time but it scampered off.
Then there are a bunch sprintails and a mite. Shot trying out my Oly E-M5 MkII and zuiiko 60mm with 48mm of tubes and a Raynox DCR250 and trying manual flash which I need to work on.

Small spider and springtail by Alf Branch, on Flickr

When it stopped running

Small spider by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Springtails

Orchesella cincta juvenile by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This was badly overexposed

Calvatomina near superba by Alf Branch, on Flickr

This mite was not happy to see me

A mite escaping me by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think?

Last edited:

You even captured a transparency I was not aware of, cooool!

Nice set of images Alf, with good composition on all of them. #1 & #3 would be my fav's out of the set.(y) I

"If you don't mind me saying although the others are nice shots they do appear to be lacking a bit in sharp focus to the areas that it really counts".

George.

Outstanding set.(y)

Nice set Alf. #3 stands out for me.

I've mentioned that I've been using Lightroom's radial and (especially) gradient filters more since I came back from my break, and #5 seemed to invite me to play. Hope you don't mind. As always, we all have our own taste for light distribution, but this might illustrate the sort of changes that are very easy to make (and the sort of changes that I'm making to my images these days).

NOT MY IMAGE - 2 Alfbranch mite - LR gradient and radial filters
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

I've been using DXO's deconvolution deblurring and liking the effect. Of course, this works on full size images and is optics-specific. However (and this was before I read George's comment btw), I decided on a whim to try Astra Image's deconvolution sharpening, which is a general purpose technique that works on JPEGs. I haven't used it for ages, and when I did only a couple of times, and there are loads of options, but here is what I got with a quick dip, applied to the previous, Lightroom-adjusted version (for which I used the small, as-posted version of the image).

NOT MY IMAGE - 3 Alfbranch mite - LR gradient and radial filters, AI deconvolution sharpening

This in turn made me curious what would happen applying the deconvolution sharpening to #4. (I've also put the as posted versions of both images up at Flickr to make it easy to flick back and forth between the versions. Have to say though that the differences jump out more when I flick between them using the mouse wheel in Faststone Image Viewer.)

NOT MY IMAGE - 5 AlfBranch Collembola - deconvolution sharpening AI

You even captured a transparency I was not aware of, cooool!

Thanks Danie;

Nice set of images Alf, with good composition on all of them. #1 & #3 would be my fav's out of the set.(y) I

"If you don't mind me saying although the others are nice shots they do appear to be lacking a bit in sharp focus to the areas that it really counts".

George.

Thanks George
It looks like I need to work on my sharpening as shown by Nick below

Outstanding set.(y)

Thanks Steve

Nice set Alf. #3 stands out for me.

I've mentioned that I've been using Lightroom's radial and (especially) gradient filters more since I came back from my break, and #5 seemed to invite me to play. Hope you don't mind. As always, we all have our own taste for light distribution, but this might illustrate the sort of changes that are very easy to make (and the sort of changes that I'm making to my images these days).

NOT MY IMAGE - 2 Alfbranch mite - LR gradient and radial filters

I've been using DXO's deconvolution deblurring and liking the effect. Of course, this works on full size images and is optics-specific. However (and this was before I read George's comment btw), I decided on a whim to try Astra Image's deconvolution sharpening, which is a general purpose technique that works on JPEGs. I haven't used it for ages, and when I did only a couple of times, and there are loads of options, but here is what I got with a quick dip, applied to the previous, Lightroom-adjusted version (for which I used the small, as-posted version of the image).

NOT MY IMAGE - 3 Alfbranch mite - LR gradient and radial filters, AI deconvolution sharpening

This in turn made me curious what would happen applying the deconvolution sharpening to #4. (I've also put the as posted versions of both images up at Flickr to make it easy to flick back and forth between the versions. Have to say though that the differences jump out more when I flick between them using the mouse wheel in Faststone Image Viewer.)

NOT MY IMAGE - 5 AlfBranch Collembola - deconvolution sharpening AI

Thanks for that Nick I apreciate you taking the time to do this. I have looked on Flickr at them and it shows the difference well.

I will need to look into this especially my sharpening technique in Lightroom as it apears to be lacking.

Thanks for that Nick I apreciate you taking the time to do this. I have looked on Flickr at them and it shows the difference well.

I will need to look into this especially my sharpening technique in Lightroom as it apears to be lacking.

Here is the mite with Lightroom sharpening instead of Astra Image sharpening. I used (in Lightroom 6) Sharpening: Amount 50, Radius (default) 1.0, Detail (default) 25, Masking 67. It isn't next to the Astra Image version at Flickr so you'd need to download both to flick between and compare them effectively.

To my eye, flicking between them in Faststone Image Viewer on my PC, the Lightroom sharpened version isn't quite as sharp as the Astra Image sharpened version, but on the other hand the Lightroom version has significantly less of the nasty noise enhancement of the Astra Image sharpened version (e.g. see the bottom right hand corner). I suspect that by fiddling with the settings in Lightroom and Astra Image you could come up with very similar versions indeed.

NOT MY IMAGE - 3a Alfbranch mite - LR gradient and radial filters, LR sharpening

A thought. I wonder if it would be interesting to have a "Sharpening examples, methods and discussion" thread or some such? Something along the lines of "This thread is for people to post unsharpened versions of close-up/macro images along with a sharpened version, allowing others to post differently sharpened versions if they like, so we can discuss the methods used and give feedback on our impressions of the relative success/appeal etc of the different versions".

Last edited:
Thanks Nick I will look at that Sat afternoon when I get up off N/S.

Back