Antc's 52 - UPDATED 19/07 Week 29 - "Capital One, Nottingham"

Name
Anthony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I know this is a little late but i started a blog for the very first time on new years day. Its going to be a 52 (one photo a week) and designed to get me out taking more photos and trying new things. Hopefully by the end of the year i will have some great photos to look back on and will have improved my photography no end! It has been going 3 weeks so far so below are the 3 images that currently reside on the blog. I will make sure i post each weeks image in this thread as well as on my blog.

My blog can be found through my signiture or by visiting www.anthony-clay.co.uk/blog

Week 1
IMG1.jpg

Week 2
IMG2.jpg

Week 3
IMG3.jpg

Last edited:
Well its that time of the week again to publish a new image to my blog.
This weeks image was taken from a freezing cold Curbar Edge in the Peak District in Derbyshire. There is some really stunning scenery out in that neck of the woods and I certainly intend to get back there and shoot some more. A very pleasant sunset it was too, the light faded really fast so there was no time to waste, I managed to get a few decent frames shot before all the light was gone. There is just something about being out there shooting in such a lovely place that I cannot find the words to explain. Its just breathtaking!

Week 4

IMG4.jpg

Last edited:
Weeks 3 & 4 are amazing. Curbar Edge must be a great place for walking and taking photos.

My only comment on week 2 is the roof looks a little garish, maybe that's how it actually looked (new lead)?

Lovely shots :clap::clap::clap: loving the 4th one but only a little thing, is the horizon slightly off?

Weeks 3 & 4 are amazing. Curbar Edge must be a great place for walking and taking photos.

My only comment on week 2 is the roof looks a little garish, maybe that's how it actually looked (new lead)?

Curbar edge is a very nice place for walking and taking photos. Its pretty big so there are plenty of great landscapes to shoot. I plan to be shooting a lot more landscapes this year so hopefully this is just the start of things to come!

I had a few issues with the roof on the week 2 shot, the hdr treatment i gave the photo brought the roof out slightly greener than it actually is and i wasnt able to tone it down without loosing the colours from the rest of the image. Maybe my processing skills but meh.

#4 is a great landscape shot. Nice colors and great view. Very relaxing.

Thanks ;)

Lovely shots :clap::clap::clap: loving the 4th one but only a little thing, is the horizon slightly off?

The horizon is actually curver quite a lot in this shot. I have tried a few different versions and really cant decide which one is best :shrug:

I've only just seen this thread - sorry!

#1 I love the expressions on the rider and passenger's faces - the look like cartoon 'Chads' :D

#2 I agree with the comments on the very green roof, but love the sky and the way it's reflected in the water.

#3 My favourite so far. Calm and somehow mysterious. Beautiful.

#4 Love the colours and textures in the foreground. It looks an amazing place and I hope to see more from future visits there. :)

You've set yourself a high standard with plenty of variety. Good luck with the rest of the year!

Jean

I've only just seen this thread - sorry!

#1 I love the expressions on the rider and passenger's faces - the look like cartoon 'Chads' :D

#2 I agree with the comments on the very green roof, but love the sky and the way it's reflected in the water.

#3 My favourite so far. Calm and somehow mysterious. Beautiful.

#4 Love the colours and textures in the foreground. It looks an amazing place and I hope to see more from future visits there. :)

You've set yourself a high standard with plenty of variety. Good luck with the rest of the year!

Jean

Thankyou very much for the comments and I shall try my best to keep up the standard! (y)

Went along to a "Steam Off" at The Great Central Railway in Loughborough on Friday night as they had a photographers evening before a big steam train event they were holding this weekend. The trains were being prepped ready for action over the weekend and they had a few of the engines out on track and in the sheds that were available to be photographed. It was a good night, lots of fellow Photographers out and about. This shot is one of my favourites from the evening. I think the black and white conversion and the slight film grain on this shot gives it a great atmosphere and really makes the image stand out.

Week 5

IMG5.jpg

Some great shots there. Week 3 is my favourite. Nice composition. Like the hazy sun cutting through the fog creating some nice tones. Keep it up (y)

Thanks again for the comments, please do keep them coming as your opinions are valued and will help to get some good crit. Dont forget to leave comments on the blog too :)

It finally came time for me to get my hands on the Iphone 3g on Saturday. I have been wanting one for quite a while now and had been doing a good job of resisting. Now you might think that would be easy but when nearly everyone in the office at work has got one and keep telling me how great they are I finally caved in and got myself one. Now I have it I wonder why I didnt get one much earlier. Its a great bit of kit. Now I only need to carry one device around with me for my phone, music, internet and gps! All I can say is I love it!

Week 6

IMG6.jpg

Had a wander down to the local nature reserve today as I had a few hours to spare. Havent really shot any wildlife for a while so though it about time to try my hand again. Spent a good while wandering round seeing what was where and came across this angry little chap by the lake. He was always the first to any seeds or bread thrown down so perhaps he was just hungry but he certainly let the other birds know who was boss!

Week 7

IMG7.jpg

As I missed The Nottingham Eye last time it was in town I made sure it didnt happen this time. Its pretty spectacular I have to say, absolutely huge! You could clearly see it from Trent Bridge which is quite far away from the eye, clearly stands out on the cities landscape. Not sure quite how high the wheel is but it towered over the Nottingham Council House it is stood next too. I found it pretty tricky to get a good shot as it was all too easy to blow the highlights due to the brightness of the lighting. There were plenty of people about and going on the wheel, something I didnt actually do while I was there but will make sure I do before it leaves. So here is one of the shots I took, quite pleased with it, although the subject was bright I managed to keep good detail and some of its surroundings too.

Week 8

IMG8.jpg

As always comments and crit welcome, on the blog and in here (y)

Sorry but not noticed you on the 52s before...:(

You have taken some great shots so far... love weeks 1...3...5...7...8

These are all excellent...congratulations on doing the 52s...(y)

Sorry but not noticed you on the 52s before...:(

You have taken some great shots so far... love weeks 1...3...5...7...8

These are all excellent...congratulations on doing the 52s...(y)

No worries, its hard to keep up with them all as there are so many!

Thanks for the comments really appreciate it! (y)

Some great shots there, the hightlight for me is week 3, the soft colours and the sun rising through the mist is fantastic the bit that works particularly for me is the forground interest (the reeds).

I must make a note to check back here more often.

Thanks for the comments on the photos.

I am really enjoying doing this 52, its getting me out and about and shooting lots of different things!

I took this image at a local studio to me which is opened up by a local photographer so that other photographers can meet up, mingle and shoot models that have been booked in a sort of group shoot style. This was the second time I had been along, first time was to see what it was all about. Decided I would put my name down to shoot at the second meeting as this would be my first proper experience of shooting in a fully kitted out studio. Having shot a few models before with substandard lighting equiptment and backgrounds it made me really appreciate the kit I was using in the studio. I Got some great tips and advice of the other photographers there which was really good of them! Safe to say I very much enjoyed myself and got some shots I am very happy with. So this weeks shot is of a model called Cat. As you can see she is very photogenic and was very professional. Being a pro model she knew exactly how to move infront of the camera which helped to make some great images!

Week 9

IMG9.jpg

Loving the shot Ant, its her hair thats so gorgeous!!!!
Just wondered, if you'd tried a BW shot also? Cos i think it would give the image a totally different dynamic! :)

Thanks Dell.

Its funny you should say that, after speaking to you earlier and you suggesting a b&w conversion it hadnt even entered my head. I kept her in colour due to her beautiful eyes and hair!

Will have a dabble with a b&w version though i think!

Just catching up not sure hpw i have missed this other than for the first post sorry :(

you have some great shots on here, the iphone is really well done, composition and lighting spot on with great detail :clap:

The girl is also really well composed but i think the lighting may be just a little harsh on her face, still much better than i could have done :)

Just catching up not sure hpw i have missed this other than for the first post sorry :(

you have some great shots on here, the iphone is really well done, composition and lighting spot on with great detail :clap:

The girl is also really well composed but i think the lighting may be just a little harsh on her face, still much better than i could have done :)

Thankyou for the comments. Quite enjoyed the iphone shot as i had literally just got the thing so was loving the whole "new toy" thing :)

Model shot is my first proper studio attempt to really happy with that. Hopefully in the coming weeks i will get more studio time so can experiment with the lighting and various effects.

This is another shot from the shoot I did with Cat a week or so ago. Decided on a portrait this time as I havent really dont much portraiture work. I think this came out pretty well, good detail in her face and eyes. Tried to keep this natural, not really a fan of the overprocessed plastic skin look to be fair. Just levels, contrast and a sharpen on this one.

Week 10

IMG10.jpg

As always blog link is in my sig, all comments and critique appreciated! (y)

Ant, theres nothing technically wrong with the the photo but her expression is awful IMO, far too aggressive.

I have to agree with Ruth, I think the Expression isnt great. I dont know if its just cos she hasnt got any lippy on or what...[or if she has its pale and blends into her face] Nothing else wrong though - apart from I'm not a fan of 2-catchlights but you already knew that from last photo ;)

Ant, theres nothing technically wrong with the the photo but her expression is awful IMO, far too aggressive.

I have to agree with Ruth, I think the Expression isnt great. I dont know if its just cos she hasnt got any lippy on or what...[or if she has its pale and blends into her face] Nothing else wrong though - apart from I'm not a fan of 2-catchlights but you already knew that from last photo ;)

I think perhaps the addition of some lipstick could have helped. Point taken on the catchlights too. Thankyou both for your comments.

This is Sam. I worked with Sam last week to shoot some glamour and topless images, the latter being something I havent shot before. She was great to work with, had a great range of clothing and I got plenty of good images from our shoot. This shot reminds me a little of a page 3 style photo. I think it works well and wouldnt look out of place in that type of scenario. The shot was taken against a black background using one studio light with a large rectangular softbox to give an even spread of light.

Week 11

IMG11.jpg

I took last Thursday off work to get my first motorsport fix of 2009. I have to say Rockingham isnt the best place to take photos! Not only that but even when the weather is nice everywhere, at Rockingham its always extremely windy with sub zero temperatures! (at least thats what it felt like) Didnt end up taking many photos but this was one of my favourites, it shows pretty much what the day was about, testing, changing settings and testing some more. There was a great turnout by the teams with only one or maybe two missing. All in all a good day, just looking forward to the motorsport season starting properly now and I wont have to wait long what with the F1 this coming weekend! Wahooooo!

Week 12

IMG12.jpg

Back