Any 135 films to recommend??

Name
Yee Siang
Edit My Images
Yes
Starting out on film... Have a wide angle and 50mm, thinking of macro as well :) any advice on films to use??

Color, no preference for speed as it's mostly for landscape shots or street shots

Kodak Portra is nice :) comes in 160/400/800 speed. Also Fuji Reala is great. :) I have never used these films in 135 format, only 120 but don't think there should be a difference.

If you want to try out B&W, Ilford HP5 is good and Kodak 400TX is great.

Thanks! So to summarize its,

For b & w: ilford hp5, kodak tx and adox
For color : ektra and porta
For natural : reala
For saturated colors : slides

Any recommendation for slides? I heard velvia is really good

Hi, as you stated that 'you are starting out...' in film can I suggest you go to your nearest Poundland and buy £10's worth of Kodak Gold 200 (I think it is) - that would be 10 rolls and see how you get on.

Same with B&W, buy from Matt (if you are intending to develop your own) i.e.

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/rollei-retro-100-214-c.asp

OR

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=70021

C41 decent B&W for cheap 3rd party developing.

Hope this helps

Alistair

alistair.o said:
Hi, as you stated that 'you are starting out...' in film can I suggest you go to your nearest Poundland and buy £10's worth of Kodak Gold 200 (I think it is) - that would be 10 rolls and see how you get on.

Same with B&W, buy from Matt (if you are intending to develop your own) i.e.

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/rollei-retro-100-214-c.asp

OR

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_1&products_id=70021

C41 decent B&W for cheap 3rd party developing.

Hope this helps

Alistair

I have a couple of superia that my friend have given me. Gonna try that first so I won't ruin the others :) thanks for all the links!

Either poundland, or look to see what short-dated film 7day has on clearance, usually some 35mm bargains in the clearance section.

Velvia's lovely for landscape stuff, but doesn't render skintones too nicely, imho. Not a problem for me, as if someone gets into my picture it was an oversight - if i'd wanted to shoot people, I'd be up the local town hall clock tower with a high powered rifle right now. Slide film is a little more picky when it comes to metering - if you're in any way unsure about your camera's metering, or its shutter speed accuracy, shoot a few rolls of negative film first, just to get the hang of how it works. Most film cameras have a few years on them now, and depending on the make and model are accurate to a greater or lesser extent.

With a figital work flow, isn't selecting a saturated film a moot point? I mean I can crank up saturation in my image editor until my hearts content.

Hi, as you stated that 'you are starting out...' in film can I suggest you go to your nearest Poundland and buy £10's worth of Kodak Gold 200 (I think it is) -

Alistair

Well if my memory is correct they are selling Kodak colour plus for £1, which I believe is slightly inferior to Gold :shrug:

Slightly inferior???? Its ****, probably the worst film I've ever used, drab colours, grainy and just horrible.
Its supposed to be a very old Kodacolour emulsion but if things were that bad back then then god knows why people used it!

Slightly inferior???? Its ****, probably the worst film I've ever used, drab colours, grainy and just horrible.
Its supposed to be a very old Kodacolour emulsion but if things were that bad back then then god knows why people used it!

Because back then, it was the mass market film, was bought by people like my mother, who only bought film on one criteria - how cheap it was - and probably had the shots processed by a mail-out processing company that would advertise in the small ads section of the Daily Mirror/Sun, took 2 weeks to process the film and returned 36 shots that were pretty much varying shades of magenta!

Meanwhile, the people who cared about their pictures were shooting Kodachrome :LOL:

As I mainly use B&W, I checked the freezer to see what I bought from Poundland. It is several rolls of Kodak Ultramax 400. This was bought from either Nottingham or Sheffield; it has been in 'cryo' for 3 months approx.

YMMV as the acronym has it

Alistair

...but then Photoshop can be your friend ;)

Because back then, it was the mass market film, was bought by people like my mother, who only bought film on one criteria - how cheap it was - and probably had the shots processed by a mail-out processing company that would advertise in the small ads section of the Daily Mirror/Sun, took 2 weeks to process the film and returned 36 shots that were pretty much varying shades of magenta!

Meanwhile, the people who cared about their pictures were shooting Kodachrome :LOL:

Looking through some of my parents old photos a few months ago I know what you mean about the magenta! It seemed that if anyone but Truprint processed and printed them then they would be range from average to great but if Truprint did, then every picture would just have this magenta cast!
I actually found some 110 pictures and was quite surprised by how good they looked, I've always been told that they were grainy and inferior but comparing some to later APS film shots they actually seemed better despite the negative being smaller (and the obligatory magenta on the truprint ones!). My dad did however used to shoot a lot of Kodachrome as well and these still look amazing today (despite him storing them for years in a loft that ranges from freezing cold in the winter to boiling in the summer, I've got to persuade him to move them to somewhere better).

Last edited:
Truprint - that's the shower of charlatans that ruined every colour print my parents have of me until I stopped going on family holidays around the age of 15. Suprisingly, I've managed to get hold of some of the negatives from the shots, and they actually scan out pretty neutral, and have printed fine, so I think it wasn't so much that they were running on knackered chemicals, as they didn't stream the films that they processed, and they all got the same bog-standard colour correction (or probably NO colour correction) at the wet printing stage.

There you go hot from Asda:- 4 year OOD Kodak colorplus and a 50p Nikon AF210....just reduced the brightness and a tiny bit of sharpening in Photoshop and OH **** it, damn rangefinder camera, as about 1/3 of the shots have my finger or something in the way and it would have to be the best ones.

CNV00009-800px.jpg

erm this Nikon AF210 is quite good, not really tested it out as I gave it to my wife, and she gave it back to me with 3' of film of her shots...yep she thought it was auto re-wind, open the back and pulled all the film out.

AF210, Kodak colorplus, Park lane at the lights waiting for a snake to cross the road:-
CNV00002-800px.jpg

Inside the RAF museum the light wasn't good enough for this AF210 P@S and the flash wasn't powerful enough to compensate, but this shot wasn't too bad....yeah I've got carried away with this AF210, end of story now.
CNV00014-800px.jpg

Last edited:

Gold is now a new version. The shots I've seen from it render very good natural color.

Gold is the last version of Kodacolour 200 from about 2002 rebranded. Theres been no updates to it since then apparently.

I didn't know that, I'd always heard that Gold and Ultra were still the old rebranded Kodacolour. Guess you learn something everyday!
Pity the 100 version is no longer made as I heard it was supposed to be quite a nice all round film. I had a go with some out of date, push processed, cross processed 800 as a bit of fun once and it actually gave quite a unique image with the orange mask not affecting some pictures at all and adding to them, especially if they were low contrast or quite drab whilst others were just very orange but it certainly had a striking look! It was fairly grainy but I suspect that was due to the pushing. I'll post a couple of them when I'm able to get them scanned.

Kodak introduced new, reformulated versions of its KODAK GOLD 100 and KODAK GOLD 200 consumer films at the 2007 PMA Show.

Kodak say "now delivers even brighter colors and deeper color saturation than before"...erm well I thought Gold was a bit OTT before the new change, maybe it's mainly for throw away cameras that need a boost :shrug:

Kodak say "now delivers even brighter colors and deeper color saturation than before"...erm well I thought Gold was a bit OTT before the new change, maybe it's mainly for throw away cameras that need a boost :shrug:

:razz:

just tonight bought 3 rolls Gold 200/24exp from Sainsburys ...well at £4.99 for 3 on sale = worth a go...?

Last edited:

You have saturation, vibrance and clarity control in your image editor. You can adjust the image to taste.

:razz:

just tonight bought 3 rolls Gold 200/24exp from Sainsburys ...well at £4.99 for 3 on sale = worth a go...?

That's a good price....I've taken some good shots with Gold and don't dislike it, but I prefer Fuji Superia 200 and Reala 100 asa

Back