Any Bonsai tree owner here?

OK just a thought I don't know anything over your side.

Thanks for the info going to have a look this evening a might have a drive round few garden centres see what’s currently on offer.

This is the one I bought the parents seemed to be doing well with weekly baths so I’m told but recently has started to go brown inside. Thoughts .

Attachments

• 315AA750-8040-4BD3-BA4D-32396AA31B62.jpeg
    315AA750-8040-4BD3-BA4D-32396AA31B62.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 3FAE77B1-D1F0-4A70-A710-60A29ADDAF03.jpeg
    3FAE77B1-D1F0-4A70-A710-60A29ADDAF03.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 23
Those mini plants, pull them out, they are just weeds essentially unless you want to grow them large to find out what they are. What they are doing is taking water and nutrients away from the Bonsai.

It could be a few things, but most likely is the water balance, the tree needs water and oxygen.

remember to also feed some fertiliser in the growing season. Except don’t feed when the tree is sick. how long have they had it? Have you pull it up from the pot and look at the roots?

This is the one I bought the parents seemed to be doing well with weekly baths so I’m told
No, don't bath this time of year, its not a bad revival method in the summer / hot months, if you "make an error in watering"
Over watering especially this time of year is just as fatal as under watering.
They don't like wet feet, the roots will rot very quickly, especially in the cooler months.

As Raymond says get rid of the weeds, Moss is another matter, the jury is out on that, its pretty sure, but its difficult to water the soil and to know how wet the soil is or isn't.

Cheers for the info as always people, I passed on and was informed a few hours later that all the "weeds" and such had been cleared and that the roots look fine currently so they are going to cut back on water baths and just spray every other day along with the ferts they have.

I on the other hand went to some local garden centres and couldnt find anything cheaper then £995.99 for a massive 3-4foot treet that said the word bonsai on it.

so my plan is to pick up my self or add the website Raymond posted to my xmas list and maybe get one of there starter packs.

Don't use any fertilisers this time of the year, the trees are shutting down for the winter.

a massive 3-4foot treet that said the word bonsai on it.
:LOL:

so my plan is to pick up my self or add the website Raymond posted to my xmas list and maybe get one of there starter packs.
Chinese elms are a good starter tree, not exactly indestructible. But will take a little misuse in their stride.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...ese+elm.TRS0&_nkw=chinese+elm+bonsai&_sacat=0

@Cobra

The Dawn Redwood Forest arrived today, a few things

Pro

1 - It has 7 trees, not 5 as the previous photo showed, 2 of them were obscured.
2 - Good size trees
3 - It was only £49

Con

1 - It could have been 8 trees, I can see a stump, which seems it was cut months or perhaps last year
2 - It is really pot bound. I poked a stick into the soil to check moisture and I can feel roots everywhere
3 - The surface has a lot of growth, more than just moss, some grass and even slime substance, that's why it looks wet.

For the price, I am well chuffed, I want to repot it right now but will wait until next spring. I am part tempted to put the stump back in when I repot, it looks kinda cool…..

4Lgjw5O.jpg

sUllDXH.jpg

KIIctOX.jpg

@Cobra

The Dawn Redwood Forest arrived today, a few things

Pro

1 - It has 7 trees, not 5 as the previous photo showed, 2 of them were obscured.
2 - Good size trees
3 - It was only £49
Looking good (y)

3 - The surface has a lot of growth, more than just moss, some grass and even slime substance, that's why it looks wet.
I would suggest a little rake over to remove the surface crap an old table fork with the tines bent at approx 90 degrees serves as a cheap alternative to "over priced" Bonsai tools.
And roots you expose, doing this just cover over with your potting mix.

2 - It is really pot bound. I poked a stick into the soil to check moisture and I can feel roots everywhere
So many trees in such a small space will appear pot bound, Just go steady on the root trimming when you re-pot. and you can elevate the soil into a small mound, when you do,to increase the soil area.
And don't forget to wire it back in place, once re potted to keep it stable (y)

It could have been 8 trees, I can see a stump, which seems it was cut months or perhaps last year
Is it dead? if not, when you re-pot maybe pot it separately for an additional tree?
I am part tempted to put the stump back in when I repot, it looks kinda cool…..
On the other hand a little bit of dead wood can add to the aesthetics (y)

Looking good (y)

I would suggest a little rake over to remove the surface crap an old table fork with the tines bent at approx 90 degrees serves as a cheap alternative to "over priced" Bonsai tools.
And roots you expose, doing this just cover over with your potting mix.

So many trees in such a small space will appear pot bound, Just go steady on the root trimming when you re-pot. and you can elevate the soil into a small mound, when you do,to increase the soil area.
And don't forget to wire it back in place, once re potted to keep it stable (y)

Is it dead? if not, when you re-pot maybe pot it separately for an additional tree?

On the other hand a little bit of dead wood can add to the aesthetics (y)

Good idea on scraping all the slime off and putting some top soil in top. I will do that tonight.

I think the stump is dead, I would be VERY surprise if it sprouts anything in the spring. That said, I have 7 trees, to it's an odd number. I actually have another Redwood in a single point separately, I could add it into this but it would be even number again.

Agreed on the dead stump for aesthetics, would place it slightly higher and more exposed to make it more eye catching, at the moment is just lost into the ground.

p.s. I one of those overpriced bonsai forks...I think it was £12.

Poor little tree's forced out of shape and tied up with wires for most of their lives , and when they try and grow they get cut down :oops: :$

Poor little tree's forced out of shape and tied up with wires for most of their lives , and when they try and grow they get cut down :oops: :$

No different than having a fish in a bowl or an indoor pet really. Except trees aren't conscious.

Actually, I think bonsai trees are healthier than most wild trees.

Bonsai Trees are looked after, it is fed water and fertiliser regularly, any fungus or insect decease are taken care of. When it is too hot it is moved to shade. When it is not bright enough it get moved to a better spot. When it rains too much, it is brought inside.

Trees in the wild are merely trying to survive, when it has drought, it just got to hope it will rain soon. If it’s too cold it just hope it won’t last long. It gets attack by wild animals on its bark, scratches, pecked by birds and risk of forest fires.

Bonsai Trees are like royalty in comparison.

Last edited:
p.s. I one of those overpriced bonsai forks...I think it was £12.
Not bad then but S/S fork Amazon £3.50 or old stuff that I had laying bout even cheaper :D

I actually have another Redwood in a single point separately, I could add it into this but it would be even number again.
Personally I'd leave as is (y)

Good idea on scraping all the slime off and putting some top soil in top. I will do that tonight.
As you noted its rather wet too, try and let it dry out a bit. Also, check the underside of the pot to make sure there are plenty of drain holes and that they aren't clogged up (y)
As I mentioned roots rot, trees die.

@Cobra btw, I would like to make the trucks a little thicker, would you get something this size?
Its not gonna make much difference TBH, the only real way to thicken trunks is to put them in the ground for 2 or 3 years.
Personally speaking I like round pots for forests, and as above if you want more soil, then heap it up.
Or even add a few small rocks to the side of the pot for even more depth.
My ash forest is in a Terracotta pot dish 25 cm x 5 cm deep and elevated to around 18cm
But if you prefer the rectangle, as I said its personal choice (y)

No different than having a fish in a bowl or an indoor pet really. Except trees aren't conscious.
But But But Prince Charles speaks to plants, so they must be :D

Not bad then but S/S fork Amazon £3.50 or old stuff that I had laying bout even cheaper :D

Personally I'd leave as is (y)

As you noted its rather wet too, try and let it dry out a bit. Also, check the underside of the pot to make sure there are plenty of drain holes and that they aren't clogged up (y)
As I mentioned roots rot, trees die.

Its not gonna make much difference TBH, the only real way to thicken trunks is to put them in the ground for 2 or 3 years.
Personally speaking I like round pots for forests, and as above if you want more soil, then heap it up.
Or even add a few small rocks to the side of the pot for even more depth.
My ash forest is in a Terracotta pot dish 25 cm x 5 cm deep and elevated to around 18cm
But if you prefer the rectangle, as I said its personal choice (y)

But But But Prince Charles speaks to plants, so they must be :D

Yeah, I can heap it up thick I guess.

I want to let it dry a bit but at the moment the weather is on the cold side and also on the wet side and forecast for the entire week ahead. Think I could take the entire thing out then put some small pebbles/cat litter on the base and place it back on top for now?

Yeah, I can heap it up thick I guess.

I want to let it dry a bit but at the moment the weather is on the cold side and also on the wet side and forecast for the entire week ahead. Think I could take the entire thing out then put some small pebbles/cat litter on the base and place it back on top for now?
Looking at the image, it does look as though it should lift out easy enough just mind you don't damage any roots as they store the energy for the winter months, (y)
Also, can you put it somewhere sheltered? not inside but somewhere when it maybe sheltered a little from the rain?
It looks as though you have it elevated, which is good, ( frost protection) as I was scraping ice off the windscreen at 5 am this morning!

Looking at the image, it does look as though it should lift out easy enough just mind you don't damage any roots as they store the energy for the winter months, (y)
Also, can you put it somewhere sheltered? not inside but somewhere when it maybe sheltered a little from the rain?
It looks as though you have it elevated, which is good, ( frost protection) as I was scraping ice off the windscreen at 5 am this morning!

I have an old metal computer desk in the garden, it was just there, now it’s my bonsai work top lol. There is another level below, I can place it underneath, which then becomes a roof for it. But I plan to water it and keep it moist until all the leaves has fallen off then stick it in the shed.

Oh, there is a wire holding it down so I can’t just lift it out. You can actually see it in the 2nd photo.

Last edited:
But I plan to water it and keep it moist until all the leaves has fallen off then stick it in the shed.
The problem with putting it in a shed will it get enough light? trees need natural light even in the winter, mine live out all year, even in the harsh winters. And don't forget its there ( in the shed)
ie don't let it dry out totally.

BUT then again, do you know if its been living outside or in a green house etc.
If the latter then definitely give it shelter through the winter, but looking at it, I suspect that its been "reared" outside.

Oh, there is a wire holding it down so I can’t just lift it out. You can actually see it in the 2nd photo
Yep I see that now, I missed it before, cut the wire, or just unwind it, if that's not practical cable ties will act as a temporary solution, if you don't have any wire to hand.
But its cheap enough to buy on ebay.

The problem with putting it in a shed will it get enough light? trees need natural light even in the winter, mine live out all year, even in the harsh winters. And don't forget its there ( in the shed)
ie don't let it dry out totally.

BUT then again, do you know if its been living outside or in a green house etc.
If the latter then definitely give it shelter through the winter, but looking at it, I suspect that its been "reared" outside.

Yep I see that now, I missed it before, cut the wire, or just unwind it, if that's not practical cable ties will act as a temporary solution, if you don't have any wire to hand.
But its cheap enough to buy on ebay.

I will put it underneath the table then, perhaps into the shed if it snows. I could always wrap the pot in bubble wrap.

Will cut the wire to check it out later. I have some spare wire from another seller used the wire to tie it down into the box to secure it. I kept it thinking i can use it to wire some trees later on.

I could always wrap the pot in bubble wrap.
That could be a plan if its still "wet" and its likely to go below zero for any length of time

That could be a plan if its still "wet" and its likely to go below zero for any length of time

I've made the holes at the bottom of the pot larger now. Should I juts put it back in for the winter or add a layer of fresh soil mixed with some grit?

BpfYiII.jpg

Plenty of root there (y)
Just remember you have no idea what roots go with what tree before you start pruning though.
The outer soil also looks quite compacted to me, if you haven't already, I'd carefully comb some of the side to loosen it up a bit, and put a layer underneath and some around the sides.
Use a chopstick ( Or similar ) to gently work the new soil in and around.
That way you are less likely to damage the feeder roots ( the fine white ones )

Plenty of root there (y)
Just remember you have no idea what roots go with what tree before you start pruning though.
The outer soil also looks quite compacted to me, if you haven't already, I'd carefully comb some of the side to loosen it up a bit, and put a layer underneath and some around the sides.
Use a chopstick ( Or similar ) to gently work the new soil in and around.
That way you are less likely to damage the feeder roots ( the fine white ones )

Thanks, tomorrow i will loosen and lose an inch of soil from the side, and may be loosen up a little roots at the base (or do I just not do that?) and put down an inch of soil mix in the bottom of the pot and put the whole thing back in and raise it an inch or so. It'll just be temporary until spring when i repot them all again.

Thanks, tomorrow i will loosen and lose an inch of soil from the side, and may be loosen up a little roots at the base and put down an inch of soil mix in the bottom of the pot and put the whole thing back in and raise it an inch or so. It'll just be temporary until spring when i repot them all again.
Just take it slowly, but yep that all sounds good to me (y)
One last thing was there any mesh covering the holes in the pot? You may not need it,
but may need to source some if the holes are large and the "mix" is fine.
You can buy proper bonsai mesh, but anything will do, from "garden netting" to fine metal mesh to plasterboard tape.
Obviously it's to stop the soil mix dropping through the holes in the pot.

Just take it slowly, but yep that all sounds good to me (y)
One last thing was there any mesh covering the holes in the pot? You may not need it,
but may need to source some if the holes are large and the "mix" is fine.
You can buy proper bonsai mesh, but anything will do, from "garden netting" to fine metal mesh to plasterboard tape.
Obviously it's to stop the soil mix dropping through the holes in the pot.

It has about 10 holes that are like 2mm diameter spread across the bottom evenly, I made them to be like 3mm.

There are also 2 holes in the centre that is like a “mesh” patten by plastic, about 15 x 1mm holes in a bunch in a circle size of like an inch wide. I think all together there are enough drainage to a regular ceramic pot. I am going to put a single grit size layer at the base to add a bit of air before putting the inch of soil down (deciduous soil mix I bought from Heron). https://www.herons.co.uk/Outdoor-Deciduous-Bonsai-Soil-Mix-2L

I have a few sheets of bonsai mesh somewhere but I may have thrown it in the recycle along with some waste paper the other week....have ordered some more for next spring when i will definitely need them.

It has about 10 holes that are like 2mm diameter spread across the bottom evenly, I made them to be like 3mm.

There are also 2 holes in the centre that is like a “mesh” patten by plastic, about 15 x 1mm holes in a bunch in a circle size of like an inch wide. I think all together there are enough drainage to a regular ceramic pot. I am going to put a single grit size layer at the base to add a bit of air before putting the inch of soil down (deciduous soil mix I bought from Heron). https://www.herons.co.uk/Outdoor-Deciduous-Bonsai-Soil-Mix-2L

I have a few sheets of bonsai mesh somewhere but I may have thrown it in the recycle along with some waste paper the other week....have ordered some more for next spring when i will definitely need them.
That all sounds good (y)

Everything I've passed on so far, is just the way I do things, over time you will probably find slightly different ways / preferable ways of doing things, be given different advice etc.
Just do what works for you (y)

That all sounds good (y)

Everything I've passed on so far, is just the way I do things, over time you will probably find slightly different ways / preferable ways of doing things, be given different advice etc.
Just do what works for you (y)

I do have a dilemma on when i go away for 9 days from the middle of November. My original plan of getting that battery power pump for all the trees, that was on the idea that I would leave them outside, but as temperature drops, I am not sure the Ficus or the Buddist Pine or the Chinese Privet would survive. There would be a minimum 6 day gap where there will be no human watering, I can ask my parents to water but it won't be until 6 days into my holiday.

What am I going to do........do I risk putting them all out with the pump? It might be 0c at night in late November.

I am not sure the Ficus or the Buddist Pine or the Chinese Privet would survive.
TBH if you want to put them all in the shed while you are away it won't hurt. If they are already "well watered" there will be minimal evaporation.
And the "lack of light" won't hurt for a few days, you may find they have dropped their leaves on your return.
But that's normal, they'll think winter is here due to the minimal photo periods, being in a shed.

Assuming its a Ficus Gensing bring it in the house that'll be fine as a "house plant" through the winter.
The general rule, once the temperatures fall below 10oC the "delicate ones" need protecting.
But keep it directly away from radiators or other heat source, but near some natural light.
Stand it in a tray of wet gravel. That'll help with the moisture for a few days.
TBH My Chinese pepper and Ficus live in during the winter months then outside in the daytime spring and back in at night

Chinese privets are also a little delicate, so you may need to protect that once the temperatures start to fall.

TBH if you want to put them all in the shed while you are away it won't hurt. If they are already "well watered" there will be minimal evaporation.
And the "lack of light" won't hurt for a few days, you may find they have dropped their leaves on your return.
But that's normal, they'll think winter is here due to the minimal photo periods, being in a shed.

Assuming its a Ficus Gensing bring it in the house that'll be fine as a "house plant" through the winter.
The general rule, once the temperatures fall below 10oC the "delicate ones" need protecting.
But keep it directly away from radiators or other heat source, but near some natural light.
Stand it in a tray of wet gravel. That'll help with the moisture for a few days.
TBH My Chinese pepper and Ficus live in during the winter months then outside in the daytime spring and back in at night

Chinese privets are also a little delicate, so you may need to protect that once the temperatures start to fall.

Going to putting them indoors on a tray of wet gravel then on the kitchen window above the sink, no radiators below that window. It's basically a choice between do I put them inside to protect from the cold with no watering or outsider with watering and brave the cold weather.

Going to putting them indoors on a tray of wet gravel then on the kitchen window above the sink
That's where mine ( ficus) live during the winter.

It's basically a choice between do I put them inside to protect from the cold with no watering or outsider with watering and brave the cold weather.
The hardier varieties will be fine outside, and your parents checking on them in a week should also be fine,
Also don't forget that trees need less water in the winter, and the air in November tends to be moist too, so hardly any evaporation will take place.

All I can suggest is check the long range forecast before you go, and make the final call then.

That's where mine ( ficus) live during the winter.

The hardier varieties will be fine outside, and your parents checking on them in a week should also be fine,
Also don't forget that trees need less water in the winter, and the air in November tends to be moist too, so hardly any evaporation will take place.

All I can suggest is check the long range forecast before you go, and make the final call then.

I am not worried about the Maple, Larch or Redwood, they will lose their leaves soon as lost of moisture will be minimal and they will be outside with access to water through that gadget. It's really the indoor tree that is problematic, but I am thinking watering heavily the day i leave, then 6 days later my parents water them, then 3 days after that i am back.

It's really the indoor tree that is problematic,
It should be fine on a bed of wet gravel. That's how I left mine for 10 days, the outside ones were watered by someone but the inside ones weren't

It should be fine on a bed of wet gravel. That's how I left mine for 10 days, the outside ones were watered by someone but the inside ones weren't

Good to know, I guess regular grit would work in the form of pebbles.

Side note, I am finding myself looking at ceramic pot for it to be repotted into next year, I never thought it could be fun shopping for pots ! What I am after really are some rocks to put on the edge of the pot, might have to pay more attention next time i am in the country side.

Last edited:
Good to know, I guess regular grit would work in the form of pebbles.
I just buy a bag of gravel ( approx 10mm) from the likes of B&Q or Wickes.
Lasts forever and can even be used for "topping off" the soil if you want.

Side note, I am finding myself looking at ceramic pot for it to be repotted into next year, I never thought it could be fun shopping for pots
LOL and some are more expensive than a lot of trees too!

might have to pay more attention next time i am in the country side.
If you are anywhere near the coast, there are interesting bits to be had there as well, even small pieces of drift wood, if you feel so inclined.

I just buy a bag of gravel ( approx 10mm) from the likes of B&Q or Wickes.
Lasts forever and can even be used for "topping off" the soil if you want.

LOL and some are more expensive than a lot of trees too!

If you are anywhere near the coast, there are interesting bits to be had there as well, even small pieces of drift wood, if you feel so inclined.

I am torn between this one, has a nice undertray.

https://www.allthingsbonsai.co.uk/product/12-inch-glazed-bonsai-pot-and-tray-cream-oval/

Or this

https://www.herons.co.uk/12926-Cream-Oval-Tokoname-Bonsai-Pot-31cm

Edging towards the cheaper one with the undertray, better value.

I am nowhere near the coast, I am going to Japan next month, might take a look at some specialty shops when i am there and see what ornaments they have. I don't plan be near any actual beaches but we'll see. The problem is most beaches here have pebbles, nice smooth round by the effect of constant water bashing them, not a rock like the side of a cliff looking appearance.

I am torn between this one, has a nice undertray.
Have you also thought of searching eBay?
There is a lot of bonsai "stuff" on there

I am going to Japan next month, might take a look at some specialty shops when i am there
Your'll certainly be in the right place for inspiration and "goodies" (y)

Have you also thought of searching eBay?
There is a lot of bonsai "stuff" on there

Your'll certainly be in the right place for inspiration and "goodies" (y)

I haven't not looked at eBay, no. Well, just did after this, searched for Oval Bonsai pot didn't yield any good pots. It's not a problem as I am not desperate for it.

@Cobra Someone on another forum just showed me this.

His mother's bonsai, who now has dementia and has not been repotted for almost 10 years. Is that a Japanese Pine? Look at those roots....I feel so sad for it.

BRJbwc2.jpg

nBPJC8v.jpg

Is that a Japanese Pine?
I *Think* its an English larch.
But I'm not 100% on that, you need a closer look at the cones to be sure.
Straight up sections on the cones and its European, curled over tips and its Japanese.

Look at those roots....I feel so sad for it.
It just goes to show how resilient they are
A root trim, branch trim and a re pot will do it the world of good (y)

Back