Any Bonsai tree owner here?

@Cobra grit and layer of soil at base, bits on the side and scraped the slim off the top.

fuhJLyU.jpg

Evening all, just home after collecting my first bonsai (the pot is 6inch wide for reference).

Has quite a thick truck which is not what I expected. Next up some tools and ferts.

Attachments

• 746A3324-FEDF-4BA7-BCA6-56D90DE0979F.jpeg
    746A3324-FEDF-4BA7-BCA6-56D90DE0979F.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 95C3D4B7-E76C-4CAF-915C-04838D4EB0AA.jpeg
    95C3D4B7-E76C-4CAF-915C-04838D4EB0AA.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 26
  • B71C3B69-0643-4BC2-AAAB-9F2089D8A970.jpeg
    B71C3B69-0643-4BC2-AAAB-9F2089D8A970.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 24
My plan is to let it settle untill the weekend, the soil looks quite wet so this will give it time to sort its self out.

I will then have a little play and try lift it cometely out to look at the root structure.

Regarding the bend and growing do I need to tie it up at all or will that stay as it grows.

Last edited:
My plan is to let it settle untill the weekend, the soil looks quite wet so this will give it time to sort its self out.

I will then have a little play and try lift it cometely out to look at the root structure.

Regarding the bend and growing do I need to tie it up at all or will that stay as it grows.

It's not going to change much as it grows, especially if you keep it within that pot. It won't straighten as that part has hardened.

btw, the weekend is 3 days away, it's quite a long time without water.

Are you sure? It does look pretty dry, from the images. Are you keeping it inside for the winter? was it bought from an outdoor or indoor source?
If the latter keep it somewhere cool and inside until the spring, but it won't hurt to put it outside on mild days, and bring it in before night fall.
If it was bought from an out door source, get it back out side.
But for now stand it in a bowl of water for a couple of hours to get it wet. And then let it almost dry out before watering again.

I think the only way to check is to put a finger into the soil, but personally that does look dry and at minimum I would put that into a bowl of water up just above the soil level and let it sit there until at least the air bubbles have stop coming up then take it out.

Then I know for sure now that is properly watered.

@Cobra

This morning when I got in the car it says 4c and I saw some houses' roofs with frost on them....time to look into some winter protection i think....

I could wrap around my trees which is on this table in the garden with this Tarp.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TraderSuppliesOutlet-Storefront-Glass-Clear-Tarpaulin/dp/B00EXMD5S0?th=1

But it is £60 for the size thatI need, or this unit which seems to be able to do the job? The idea is to stop the pot freezing really and protect from wind.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Selections...l+greenhouse&qid=1571315081&s=outdoors&sr=1-3

I've already had 2 frosts here, the trees were unaffected.
Most of the usual stuff is fine down to -10
Chinese pepper or the Ficus ginseng being the exceptions.

Some people put them inside, some don't.
Best bet rather than rely on what I do, (which may not work for you,) have a google and make you mind up from the dozens of opinions (y)
Late frosts ( spring time when the sap is rising and the buds are appearing) are the worse tbh.

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/advanced/overwintering

I've already had 2 frosts here, the trees were unaffected.
Most of the usual stuff is fine down to -10
Chinese pepper or the Ficus ginseng being the exceptions.

Some people put them inside, some don't.
Best bet rather than rely on what I do, (which may not work for you,) have a google and make you mind up from the dozens of opinions (y)
Late frosts ( spring time when the sap is rising and the buds are appearing) are the worse tbh.

https://www.bonsaiempire.com/basics/bonsai-care/advanced/overwintering

I've already moved my Ficus and Buddist pine indoors for the past 2 weeks.

I will probably get that greenhouse unit thing, more sturdy and better insulated from wind chill.

Morning all (@Cobra & @Raymond Lin as nonone else seems to be here)

My little bonsai seems to be growing well after two months, its got the best spot in the house plenty of light and water it every other day seems to be the right amount.

Has plenty of new green growing (a few leaves do turn yellow an drop but maybe = 1 week?!).

How, when should Iprune? Is there a need or should I just let it grow as it wants?

Tom.

Morning all (@Cobra & @Raymond Lin as nonone else seems to be here)

My little bonsai seems to be growing well after two months, its got the best spot in the house plenty of light and water it every other day seems to be the right amount.

Has plenty of new green growing (a few leaves do turn yellow an drop but maybe = 1 week?!).

How, when should Iprune? Is there a need or should I just let it grow as it wants?

Tom.

Chinese Elm?

I would let it grow out, let it strengthen. Perhaps think about pruning late summer.

Righto will do, really pleased its growing aswell as it is... looking around online i wonder if a bigger pot will help next year also so thats something to look into.

How are yours doing?

Righto will do, really pleased its growing aswell as it is... looking around online i wonder if a bigger pot will help next year also so thats something to look into.

How are yours doing?

The Chinese elms, Maple, Chinese Privet, Larch and Redoods are all outside. It being raining a lot I haven't touched them in like 2 months! That is the good thing about outdoor plants.

The Larch, Redwood and Maples are all bare now as expected.

The Chinese elm has gone a little yellow from the old as expected but its fine. It is in a TINY pot, will repot it to a larger one next year.

The Chinese Privet is just all green, I am quite surprised actually, I thought the cold might kill some of the leaves but it hasn't one single bit.

My Ficus and Buddist pine is inside, survived my 10 days away to Japan. They are doing fine, not grown much, a few new buds but nothing big.

I am going to have to start getting a few new pots, soil etc ready for Feb/March time. The problem with more plants is that there is more work in a short space of time in the spring.

Last edited:
Happy to report that all my trees appears to have survived the winter and has started to grow new leaves, lets hope the roots hasn't been damage, the real test would be in a month or so when the energy store inside have spent growing new leaves and need to pull them from the roots.

Even the supermarket Acer that I stuck together in a big pot to make a forest also survived. I did it mostly to put them in better soil and look nicer too.

IuaaZQS.jpg

XdQICNf.jpg

pRr8HrO.jpg

mT4Bzpp.jpg

To treat myself I bought a new tree, repotted...don't have any wires so this will do...

vm8LtQS.jpg

It looks like I may have lost a European Larch through the winter, getting too wet ... :(

The Orange dream acer that I took a couple of air layers from last year, have taken well and
will ultimately become Mame / Shoshin.

OD.jpg

The Chinese cherry apple is pretty much in full leaf, with a few buds still to open

CCA.jpg

I treated myself to a cork bark elm recently. That's leafing up nicely.
Its about 6" from the soil to the top, and about an inch across at the base

CB.jpg

Everyone else seems to be fine also.

Last edited:
I tend to use cable ties for the larger trees rather than wire.

Ah cable ties!

Also repotted the maple today. It is really pot bound. I got quite tired combing all that root out, lots were tangled.

Lifted it up a little bit from before.

XKip1Gf.jpg

bl0LZGR.jpg

ZKS8J0f.jpg

Also repotted the maple today. It is really pot bound. I got quite tired combing all that root out, lots were tangled.
You probably already know this but only a 1/3rd off and no more. at the moment.
The energy is all in the roots but slowly going up the cambium to the buds / leaves.

You probably already know this but only a 1/3rd off and no more. at the moment.
The energy is all in the roots but slowly going up the cambium to the buds / leaves.

Yeah, I know that rule of thumb, I trimmed off the ends mostly. Hopefully not TOO much.

Last edited:
Just remember its the white ones that are the feeders.
Any heavy brown ones that are not supporting the white ones can be chopped off.

Back