Any C330 and RB67 owners? 180mm comparisons?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys, I'm pretty sure there are a few on here that own both a Mamiya C330 (or other C outfits) and an RB67 - as do I :)

As well as those two, I also have a Yashica Mat 124G. I started with this and the C330, if I'm honest, I think I have had more consistent results from the Yashica, but that could be down to user error, however, the close focus and interchangable lens of the C330 was a definite bonus, I just preferred the handling of the Yashica.

Then I bought an RB67............I love this. Yes, it's big, but I don't find it anymore awkward to hand hold than the C330 - I actually find it's handling easier, bigger/brighter viewfinder, smoother focus, no need for parallax correction. The focus is smooth on my C330, but it's slightly stiffer and being right at the bottom of the body I find it rocks whilst I rack the focus back and forward which is exaggerated at the focus screen end, not the end of the world, but a little distracting.

I have recently been asking myself if I really need to keep both Mamiyas (stupid question I know!) and what would make me want to take the C330 out over the RB67. Slightly smaller, yes, but still a big lump. If I want lightweight MF I would take my Yashica 124G, I barely notice this chucked over my shoulder. Close focus.......probably a draw, but no need for parallax correction on RB. C330 better for low light, faster 80mm lens and slower handheld shutter speeds, but arguably harder to focus in low light.

The one thing I have loved about the C330 so far, is my 180mm Super - had a couple of really nice shots from that lens. I only have the 50mm and 127mm for my RB67 so nothing to compare directly.

Has anyone compared the 180mm between these two outfits? If so, what did you find? Despite preferring the ergonomics of the RB67, if the 180mm Super is better than the RB equivalent, that would be enough for me to keep both bodies. I don't really need to sell either, it just seems a shame to have kit and leave it gathering dust on a shelf!

I cannot offer you a comparison but my appreciation of the 180 long.
I used that lens extensively in studio and on location for basically two
kinds of shots: portraits and table top — including macro work. It was
an important part of my RZ67 medium format lens arsenal. HTH :cool:

Last edited:
If you'd asked this question 25 years ago it might have been easier to answer. Sourcing a secondhand lens contains an element of risk. What might have been marginally better when the lenses were new may not now be the case. I bought a C330 in the mid to late 80s (I still have it). It was quickly assigned to permanent tripod use.

In retrospect, I wish I'd opted for the lighter YashicaMat 124G. But you makes your decisions and you lives with the consequences.

Perhaps better to go with the body you prefer using. It seems like you like using all three. Perhaps that's the correct answer. :eek:

Well if the RB67 180mm lens was? slightly inferior to the C330 180mm..I doubt you would see the difference as say for a print you'd be enlarging less because of the bigger neg. I have the RB67 180mm lens and it is very good but whether the optics are better\equal\worse compared to a Bronica, Pentax or Zeiss etc I have no idea... but I'm happy with my RB67 180mm lens and what I don't know, I don't miss.

Last edited:
I don't have either now but from memory I much prefered the RB67 quality, I was never much impressed by the C330 to be honest. I had a Bronica and that was pretty good, I never had the pentax 6x7 but a mate did, and he used to get superb results from that.

Thanks for the comments!

I had initially avoided buying a 180mm for my RB as I dudn't want the lens overlap between systems. I guess the best thing now is to source a 180mm anyway and give it a whirl!!

Of late I have mainly used my C330 on a tripod or indoors, I should spend some time with it again out & about to see if the slightly smaller size & weight is noticeable.
I have no problem taking my RB and a couple of lenses out with me for the day, but there is no denying it's a big lump!

I haven't owned an RB but I have tried to lift one..... unsuccessfully :D I do however have a C330f and 4 lenses (55, 80, 135 and 180mm) and although it is mainly used indoors and on a tripod I have on quite a few occasions taken on walks without having a hernia are needing sherpas; so, basically my thumbs up is for the Mamiya.
I also had a Yash 124g but I didn't bond with it, I'm not sure why but it's probably because I was still madly in love with my Rolleiflex. (y)

Come on Andy - they're not that bad :LOL:

They're both big lumps, but I don't really have any issues carrying the RB67 around with me, and after handling that for a while, the C330 feels like a compact!! I do prefer the RB67's ergonomics in general, however, one point I had missed - if I give up my C330, then I'd be giving up my fasting lens (80mm f/2.8) - so it can stay :film:

Come on Andy - they're not that bad :LOL:

They're both big lumps, but I don't really have any issues carrying the RB67 around with me, and after handling that for a while, the C330 feels like a compact!! I do prefer the RB67's ergonomics in general, however, one point I had missed - if I give up my C330, then I'd be giving up my fasting lens (80mm f/2.8) - so it can stay :film:

Don't get me wrong an RB is a thing of great beauty and produces wonderful images but as you get to my age and level of weary cynicism you need to make life a lot easier hence using a nice, light little 'Flex most of the time :D

Back