Any fishkeepers out there?

i have a juwel vision 260 with clown loaches,kuhli loaches,siamese fighter,neons,glowlight tetras,harlequin tetras,gourami,ram and otocinclus in it.

Everyone's tanks sound great. I'm 'tankless' at the moment due to a house-move in the near future, however my last aquarium was a 46 x 30 x 38cm 'Iwagumi' with some small rasboras. I lost the photos however when my old hard drive kicked the bucket. :bang:

i'm looking into keeping Garra Rufa fish....

Unfortunately I've been tankless for a number of years, but would very much like to get another one, once we have our house sorted.

My last tank was 48"x18"x 12" tropical setup featuring clown loach, plecostomus (spelling), Silver Hatchets, Polka Dot Cat Fish, and the most wonderful of female Blue Acara, unfortunately I never managed to fine a mate for her of similar size and age.

Garra rufa are quite simple to keep, however there are some restrictions on them due to protecting wild stocks. They inhabit cool, fast-flowing and highly-oxygenated streams with plenty of smooth boulders, on which the fish 'rasp' away at algae growing on the surfaces.

The diet should consist of plenty of vegetable matter, so algae wafers and pellets should be offered. I gave mine Zucchini which they relished.

Last edited:
I have a Juwel 190 trigon, with Neons, two beautiful clown loaches, golden Barb and some Mollies.

I also have a large marine BiorB with two clown fish and some red and blue toe crabs.

Used to keep Fighters as well, but it became obbsessive so as they died I stopped buying them.

:eek: where do I start . . .

- 9' x 6' garden pond with Orfe, Shubunkins and Comets
- 120l Amazonian Biotope in the living room
- 6 footer in the dining room - currently a mixed community, but I'm in the process of running it down wit the intention of rescaping.
- 60l in the hall with some shrimp and Danios
- 15l tank for a Betta, but currently unoccupied.

It's fair to say that I'm a fishkeeper :LOL:

I have a Juwel 190 trigon, with Neons, two beautiful clown loaches, golden Barb and some Mollies.

Sounds lovely, but I hope you've got plans to upgrade before the clowns get too big ;)

just one of my tanks, have another planted tank upstairs in my room with a c02 feed for the plants, no fish upstairs :)

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1587.jpg

just found an upstairs shot :) plants have grown a bit now and has a carpet plant too

IMG_6632.jpg

Last edited:
About 10 years ago I had a 4 foot tropical tank and a 4 foot marine tank. It took some serious commitment to keep the two of them running perfectly.

One day I intend to set up a marine tank again, but past experience reminds me of what's involved. I looked into it recently and I couldn't believe how much the technology has moved on!

Chris your tropical tank looks gorgeous :love:

Community tank - AquaOne 900
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

AquaOne Horizon 60....new home for a cellophane red Betta
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

ARC 35L -- new home for 50+ Red Cherry Shrimp [these ARCs are great!!]
showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

3ft tropical in front room with Peppered Cory and Neon Tetra- mtre tank in shed with Plattie's. 1100 gallon pool with Shubunkins and goldfish.
Have never plucked up the courage to go marine although I just love sea-horses.

Had a 6'x2'x2' marine reef tank which I dismantled last year, now all I'm left with are two nano reef tanks - 24g & 7g - which are still fun but don't cost £400 per quarter in electricity to run ;)

Loved the large reef but it took way too much work & cash to keep running. Still miss my fishes though, they were all like pets really. Broke my heart when they went to new homes :(

how did you go about re-housing them, i have a plec and a red tail shark that are getting a bit tooooo big for the 3ft tank, but i dont want to give them back to the shop i got them from, its a garden centre shop and they dont care at all for the fish...

I used a couple of marine fish forums and advertised for good homes, collection only. Most went locally but one guy came all the way from the borders. Worth a try. Either that or take them to a good lfs who will do you a swap for other fish, or smaller versions, and rehome yours for you. I had a couple which I trusted enough to do this.

Or, it could be time for a tank upgrade ;)

My 10 year old daughter wanted some goldfish so we went down the pet shop, it seems fish have rights these days, goldfish bowls are out despite me having one in the 70s in which 2 fish lived for the best part of 10 years.

so we now have £150 worth of filtered tank with £4 worth of fish in it :nuts:

I have a 120litre juwel tank. I think it's 101cm x 30 x 40, I'm not sure.

I started with tropical fish, then quickly moved on to African cichlids.
Cichlids were a joy to keep. Cheap to setup, and easy to maintain once you learn the basics. They were always breeding, and would fight over territory. Really fun to watch them build their homes in the tank.

But Whenever I went to the aquatics store, I was always drawn to the marine fish. So after a year of keeping cichlids o researched marines setups and converted my tank to marine. Total layout for marine equipment must have exceeded £400.
They are beatiful fish, but I kind of regret it, because I now have no more money to put into the hobby, so I've lost interest because I only have a couple of clowns, and 1 fish died. a shame because I was so excited about getting marine fish earlier this year.

Sorry for any spelling mistakes, typing from iPhone

so I've lost interest because I only have a couple of clowns, and 1 fish died. a shame because I was so excited about getting marine fish earlier this year.

i know fully where your coming from... i got all my tank set up and working perfectly, everything ok, i then lost my lobster because of whitespot, luccially no more fish, but at the moment i feel like a change, the tank has been the same for about 2 years now, but its the ammount of effort that goes into setting it all up that just scares me off...

was in the trafford centre last week and there is one of them foot spa shops where you put your feet in and they eat the dead skin.
i think they use Garra Rufa fish for that.

SarahLee;3036083 Sounds lovely said:
Sarah, naturally I do as they grow to a beautiful size, I have had them three years so far and they are about 4 inches at the moment. They really are my favorites in the tank .. and my Panda's.

I had all the community tank usual suspects years ago and finally ended up just keeping Discus. I had them spawn loads of times - on plant pots and bits of tile as they're supposed too, but also on the glass heaters and any other convenient smooth surface. I never succeeded in raising any fry though.

yep, used to have a 850L marine tank.... loved it, untill i started keeping sps corals and had to upgrade the lighting, then got my quarterly leccy bill in!! :(

SSL21237.jpg

300l of lovely Juwel tropicalness............running one internal and 2 x 700l externals - it's a tropical tsunami in there...........

p.s. anyone got space for a 1ft plec ?

I wish!!!
I Love Plecs.

All this talk is making me want to set a tank up, unfortunately a wedding is taking all cash. Next year was going to be garden make over and pond, but perhaps the tank comes first now :D

youll appreciate a tank more than you would a pond imo, we have 2 ponds here, a 2000l and a 500l with goldfish in the larger one, and i rarely get chance to look at them :(

To be fair, the pond would likely be fish free, more for planting, decoration and somewhere for the large number of frogs, toads and newts we get to breed.

but I think you're right, a tank comes first. I can enjoy that all year round, the pond is a summer (when ever that happens) attraction :)

sand is not too good for it packs down and rots

i use fine gravel - never hurt the barbs of the Corys

got some black gravel in a smaller tanks - looks great but not cheap

ive left some sand in just to stop the bottom from reflecting so much light directly into my retina XD just trying to find a really bright substrate for a change...

the tank allways looks dark for some reason, and ive tried all types of bulbs and that makes no difference at all... help, price is also an issue, im just looking to get the plants going and surviving long enough for the fish to get a good old meal out of them XD

the dark look could be from the water actually being stained from tannin leaching out of the bogwood - a large bit for the water volume...?

i like tannin and add almond leaves to my shrimp tank

the "gibby" [?] will get far too large for the tank IMO

FWIW - if you've cleaned the filter or let it dry out, you will get a nitrite spike ....sorry if you know all this....... (y)

Last edited:
Hi ,the wife and i inherited quite a large tank from our sons ex girlfriend .I find them so soothing to watch but the tanks a bugger to keep clean ...ie,the inside of the glass ...any tips or do's & not to do's regarding this

Back