Any gardeners or arborists that can help me identify this bush and its disease

• Thread starter Deleted member 49549
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49549

We've had this bush in the garden since we moved in. Its leaves are getting progressively eaten away and wondering whether it is time to simply cut it down and replace it with something else?

Some pictures:-IMG_3981 copy.JPGIMG_3983 copy.JPG

Not double checked but I think that is a Viburnum though possibly a slight variant on the one we have.

Ours has the same problem and has had it for some years...............no idea at this stage about the what & why but did hear that they are not self fertile so to get the berries that the birds will love to eat you need two in the garden in close proximity :)

Edit ~ though we have never seen any sign of any infestation, your post prompted me to look it up and it seems it might be the Viburnum Beetle larvae doing the damage. I will have to discuss our one plant with SWMBO as it was originally given to her as a pressie (as mentioned) a good while back.

Last edited:
Not sure what the bush is, but Neem oil is a really effective, natural pesticide. Mix it with water and a little washing up liquid (to make it stick to the leaves) and spray it on. It, apparently, alters the brain chemistry in little critters to stop them feeding or reproducing. I had a large infestation of white-fly on my chilli plants and Neem Oil was the only thing that worked.

It's not too expensive so may be worth a try.

Not used them but there are lots of plant identifier apps out there.

Viburnum tinus or one of its cultivar.

holes are caused by Viburnum beetle and its larve. Need to Spray it with an insecticide in May. But if its not a major infestation just leave it. They respond to really hard pruning very well but i would wait until its flowered.
Can replace it but pretty much every option will have an issue of some sort.

Thanks all. I've given it a really good pruning (didn't see there comment about leaving it too for....)
In think I may have overdone the pruning though. Cut down a couple of main stands that were crossing, thinned out some more then stood back and saw that most of the tree had gone...!

It's got 2 chances! Many plants respond very well to what appears to be overhard pruning - here's hoping your Viburnum is one of them.

Back