any good ????

Edit My Images
Yes
Nikon Nikkor AF-D 50 mm f/1.4

are they ok for DSLR i am a canon man,

Regards Mark

Great for DSLRs BUT the lens will NOT autofocus on a D40(x) or D60 body (and it won't work on your Canon!!!).

Nikon Nikkor AF-D 50 mm f/1.4

are they ok for DSLR i am a canon man,

Regards Mark

Very nice lens.There are two types out there. Try and get the one made in Japan. You can have a play with mine, :naughty: when you come over. Thinking of moving over to Nikon then? :clap:

Kev.

The f/1.4 is made in japan, and is at nearly £250, every bit as sharp as you'd expect and more.. It's more than OK It's bloody super fantastic!

I have the f/1.8 which is also made in Japan is a more reasonable £89, this is also very sharp and both are metal framed with a plastic casing.

Hi my freind is selling one, but i just read the rules i can not sell on the behalf of someone else, he picked it up in a house clearance, and was round my house 2 weeks ago and i was showing him my Canon it looked in good nick, as well..... he said he wanted £200 for it, but my stuff is canon so :crying: pity is was not the 50mm f1.4 canon, i think he said it was made in hong kong??????

Regards Mark.

nikon.jpg

Is this the good one then, he is hoping it is and is going to ask £200 on e-bay

Regards Mark

Does the 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 MKII not have plastic mounts? It does for the Canon IIRC so a minor thing to watch out for.

Nope, I have the 1.8, and have seen a 1.4 in the flesh, both metal framed.

I thought that they were far less than that new in UK.....a quick check at camerapricebuster says around £190 new and delivered. Not wanting to spoil a perfectly good evening, just wanting to manage expectations.

Chris

Its absolutely awesome, and one of my favourite lenses. Go for the 1.4, worth it I reckon.

Gary.

Does the 50mm f1.4 or f1.8 MKII not have plastic mounts? It does for the Canon IIRC so a minor thing to watch out for.

Canon 50's have plastic mounts ??? wtf
I can see plastic filter thread maybe, but plastic mount

:puke:

Canon 50's have plastic mounts ??? wtf
I can see plastic filter thread maybe, but plastic mount

:puke:

Plastic barrel maybe, I doubit the mount is plastic. I know the nikon one isnt...

Gary.

I thought that they were far less than that new in UK.....a quick check at camerapricebuster says around £190 new and delivered. Not wanting to spoil a perfectly good evening, just wanting to manage expectations.

Chris

so if he put it on E-bay for £160.00 would that be ok for £150.00 he just needs a guide price....

Regards Mark

Very nice lens.There are two types out there. Try and get the one made in Japan. You can have a play with mine, :naughty: when you come over. Thinking of moving over to Nikon then? :clap:

Kev.

Hi sorry Kev Range Rover yes:woot: Nikon No:nono:, i have to much invested in canon :), but you may temp me over to the dark-side;) I have my eye on a few R R at the mo...but have another plan unfolding bare with me.

regards Mark.

Apparently the Japan was is more desirable - I had one (JPN), wasn't keen on the focal length, and the bokeh is lousy.

Get the cheaper f/1.8 version.

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xPR-Canon-EF-50mm-f-1-8-II-Lens~RD-431715552900
Metal Vs Plastic Version
The newer version of this lens is made of plastic, thus the nickname "magic plastic" but the older version was made of metal. Many photographers prefer the metal version since it should last longer.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/canon-ef-50mm-f-1.8-ii-lens-review.aspx
Build quality of the 50 f/1.8 is very cheap (as you might expect). This lens feels more like a toy than a piece of optics. It utilizes plastic contruction right down to the lens mount (the lenses are glass of course).

They won't make it obvious on the marketing material but it's been mentioned everywhere how the built quality is lacking for the Canon nifty fifty. This is the f/1.8 though, not the f/1.4; I beleive that does have a metal mount

Back