Any Guitarists on TP?

Name
Slyelessar
Edit My Images
Yes
I have yet to come across a particular thread specifically for guitarists on there. I appreciate there are other forums specifically for this, but considering I spend more time on here than somewhere like GAB, where I used to live, I wondered if there are like minded guitar plays on TP that want to discuss all things guitar? Considering guitarists tend to be gear heads as well, I thought may we could start something up.

Anyone bought any new gear recently?

I recently picked up a Gibson LP Studio down at Mudpie in Brighton. This has become one of my favourite guitar shops over the years, as there is proper gear and Alfie knows his stuff. It makes a change from the mouth breathers that tend to work in the London guitar shops of late.

hi Slye.
yes there are guitarists on here.
i used to play in a band 1965-69,it was a mod band originally then by 67 more progressive type stuff,
i now just play at home not much electruc now ,mostly use my Gibson Hummingbird.all the decent guitar shops have closed in Leicester unfortunately

Yup, there’s a few of us here (@Raymond Lin)
I’m a home player these days, but have gigged with various bands in the dim distant past. Last guitar I bought was a Les Paul Signature T from Guitar Guitar in Epsom, which is about 15 minutes from where I live. I’ve got a couple of Strats and an SG too.

If you’re not completely fed up with guitar forums, try The Fretboard, it’s U.K. based and full of great advice and some amazing stuff. Watch out, the classifieds are a constant source of gas. ;);)

I haven’t bought a guitar in a few years, I think the last one was a Les Paul Class 5 CS, that kinda completed what I wanted until I find a nice Olympic white strat.

Apart from that I don’t get GAS much, i like to think I have everything that I need, and then some.

Good to see there are a fair amount of us on here, and some different styles at that.

Is anyone currently looking at any guitars? Anything you are after? A few people here have stated they are happy.

I sold a fair amount of gear when I moved to Oz back in 2015, and since moving back to England, I have been rebuilding on and off. Music has taken off with me in a big way again, hence why I purchased the recent Gibson. Before I left I sold a 2012 Gibson SG Standard with SH2/ SH5 Custom pups that I REALLY miss.

I recently visited Andersons but it was a bit meh. They also didn’t seem to know the pedal brand I was looking for at the time either :p

Yup, there’s a few of us here (@Raymond Lin)
I’m a home player these days, but have gigged with various bands in the dim distant past. Last guitar I bought was a Les Paul Signature T from Guitar Guitar in Epsom, which is about 15 minutes from where I live. I’ve got a couple of Strats and an SG too.

Is that guitar guitar in Epsom? I think I previously bought some peripheral stuff in there (capos/ slides).

Is that guitar guitar in Epsom? I think I previously bought some peripheral stuff in there (capos/ slides).
Yup that’s the place. I don’t go in there much, it’s way too tempting plus I mostly buy used gear anyway, it’s much better value. Not after any more guitars at the moment, I think I’ve got all the bases covered. I’m a sucker for fx pedals though, been through dozens of different types and makes. What was the brand you were after?

Yup that’s the place. I don’t go in there much, it’s way too tempting plus I mostly buy used gear anyway, it’s much better value. Not after any more guitars at the moment, I think I’ve got all the bases covered. I’m a sucker for fx pedals though, been through dozens of different types and makes. What was the brand you were after?

Yeah totally, when I was gigging a couple years ago, I gigged with a 16 pedal fitted board. Everything had its use, but this time I feel that is too much, I can do more with less.

My current set up for songwriting with band is:
Custom Jag/ Gibson LP Studio > Wilson Effects Funk Factory > Wampler Crush The Button/ BCC Monolith > Boss CE-2 > DD-6/ EHX SMMH > Laney VH100R.

Home rig:
Fender '88 Strat> Same pedals plus or minus some obscure stuff> Laney IRT Studio/ Cub 12R.

Acoustic stuff is on my beloved Martin 00-15ML.

Having done some youtube vids, I had a good relationship with some pedal manufacturers, and used to get the odd thing sent. It would be cool to attract some fo that again, but it has been a long time haha.

Got your eye on any particular pedals?

Last edited:
i fancy. a Gibbo 335,had quite a few epiphone models but never the Gibson version,so yes gas for that.a friend of mine has the most fantastic collection of Gibson Archtops eg forgive me if i get the models wring but all stuff like lc5 switchmasters 335 345 350, and lots more,2 of his archtops are 1 of 10 made and 1 of 50 made,hes an excellent jazz/blues guitarist and does use his gear,well some of it lol.

i fancy. a Gibbo 335,had quite a few epiphone models but never the Gibson version,so yes gas for that.a friend of mine has the most fantastic collection of Gibson Archtops eg forgive me if i get the models wring but all stuff like lc5 switchmasters 335 345 350, and lots more,2 of his archtops are 1 of 10 made and 1 of 50 made,hes an excellent jazz/blues guitarist and does use his gear,well some of it lol.

Sounds like you could have a lot of fun plays your friends collection! Any chance of you picking one up in the future?

Yeah totally, when I was gigging a couple years ago, I gigged with a 16 pedal fitted board. Everything had its use, but this time I feel that is too much, I can do more with less.

My current set up for songwriting with band is:
Custom Jag/ Gibson LP Studio > Wilson Effects Funk Factory > Wampler Crush The Button/ BCC Monolith > Boss CE-2 > DD-6/ EHX SMMH > Laney VH100R.

Home rig:
Fender '88 Strat> Same pedals plus or minus some obscure stuff> Laney IRT Studio/ Cub 12R.

Acoustic stuff is on my beloved Martin 00-15ML.

Having done some youtube vids, I had a good relationship with some pedal manufacturers, and used to get the odd thing sent. It would be cool to attract some fo that again, but it has been a long time haha.

Got your eye on any particular pedals?

Probably a looper next, I quite fancy a Diito X2. I like quirky pedals, the last two I bought are a Meris Polymoon delay and a Strymon Big Sky. ( I’m mostly into ambient, stoner rock and prog metal. Devin Townsend, Tool, Karnivool etc ).

Sounds like you’ve got a very nice set up. I like Laney amps too, I’ve got a Lionheart Studio 5 head.

Probably a looper next, I quite fancy a Diito X2. I like quirky pedals, the last two I bought are a Meris Polymoon delay and a Strymon Big Sky. ( I’m mostly into ambient, stoner rock and prog metal. Devin Townsend, Tool, Karnivool etc ).

Sounds like you’ve got a very nice set up. I like Laney amps too, I’ve got a Lionheart Studio 5 head.

Yeah nothing like experimental effects. I recently sold a Pigtronix Mothership 2, which was a lot of fun. I have yet to try the Strymon Big Sky, how long have you had that?

Can't be a Laney :p

Yeah nothing like experimental effects. I recently sold a Pigtronix Mothership 2, which was a lot of fun. I have yet to try the Strymon Big Sky, how long have you had that?

Can't be a Laney :p
Bought the Big Sky a few months back and I’m still working through what it’s capable of ! The thing is a beast :) Some beautiful reverbs in there. In fact I like Strymon stuff generally, I’ve got a Mobius, a Sunset and an El Capistan on my board too.

Bought the Big Sky a few months back and I’m still working through what it’s capable of ! The thing is a beast :) Some beautiful reverbs in there. In fact I like Strymon stuff generally, I’ve got a Mobius, a Sunset and an El Capistan on my board too.

It sounds like a lot of fun! I know their stuff is popular. I may have to try one out next time I'm in a guitar shop.

I've been practicing for a year! Don't know when I can call myself a guitarist!

When you can play something on guitar - it doesn't need to be Eruption.

I've been playing a little I now, stopped playing with a covers band because my fingers don't find their way round the fretboard like they did, and should probably offload some gear.

One advantage of getting bumpy, arthritic knuckles is that a slide fits more securely. [emoji6]

I have a small but modest collection - I used to play bass in the day (early to late 70's) in a few local bands (one covers and one original heavy rock), and some accoustic (folk). My only bass is a Jazz bass, my acoustics are an Epihone 6 string, Tanglewood 12-string and a Gretsch resonater. I have a mexican Strat, but my favourite electric 6-string is a recently bought Gordon Smith GS Deluxe, bought from the factory near where I live.
My preferred stuff to play is blues, but I don't play much at all at present, it's something I want to find time for.

I tend to think it is when you know enough to be comfortable to write your own material. Where chords and scales come fairly easily/ not having to think too much about it.

I have a small but modest collection - I used to play bass in the day (early to late 70's) in a few local bands (one covers and one original heavy rock), and some accoustic (folk). My only bass is a Jazz bass, my acoustics are an Epihone 6 string, Tanglewood 12-string and a Gretsch resonater. I have a mexican Strat, but my favourite electric 6-string is a recently bought Gordon Smith GS Deluxe, bought from the factory near where I live.
My preferred stuff to play is blues, but I don't play much at all at present, it's something I want to find time for.

Those Gordon Smith guitars are lovely and really well made!

You should all meet up somewhere.
One of you bring a guitar and a portable amp, everybody else bring cameras. :snaphappy: Electric guitar.png :snaphappy:
See if you can convince the public it's a publicity shoot for someone famous.

Guitars or cameras? ;)

Since Lindsay mentioned it, the one guitar that would be really useful for me would be a resonator for the acoustic slide gigs. I'm not GASing for one, but it would definitely find a use.

Guitars. I have a Yamaha acoustic hanging on the wall collecting dust & another at my dad's I think!

I only have one digital camera :)

I bought a cheapish gear for music guitar and amp to see if I could play but I couldn't so I bought a Gibson Les Paul HP one with the auto tuning I can't play that either but they look nice .
Rob.

Those Gordon Smith guitars are lovely and really well made!
The new ones are certainly way better made than the older models. I had a Graduate 60, basically an LP copy but with a few changes. It sounded good and played very nicely but I could never get past the “built by a bloke in a shed” look, particularly the logo done in what looked like Letraset. Good to see they’ve finally sorted out a consistently good standard of finish and they’re getting good reviews.

The new ones are certainly way better made than the older models. I had a Graduate 60, basically an LP copy but with a few changes. It sounded good and played very nicely but I could never get past the “built by a bloke in a shed” look, particularly the logo done in what looked like Letraset. Good to see they’ve finally sorted out a consistently good standard of finish and they’re getting good reviews.

Yeah I can understand that. They have come a long way.

I always fancied a GS because of their reputation, but the looks didn't make one feel inclined to put ones hand in their pocket. Even Shergold (I had a Matador IIRC) looked more appealing.

I am the poster boy for all the gear, no idea.

Give me a camera, any camera, I can do a decent job. I am **** with a 6 string, I really need to stop faffing around and get myself a teacher because I have spent thousands on gear. I do love it though, the aesthetics, the feel and even the smell. There is something about opening a guitar case (yes I keep them in a case...) and smell the nitro.

This thread is missing photos of the geetars.

vz4dWs8.jpg

Last edited:

Give me a camera, any camera, I can do a decent job. I am **** with a 6 string, I really need to stop faffing around and get myself a teacher because I have spent thousands on gear. I do love it though, the aesthetics, the feel and even the smell. There is something about opening a guitar case (yes I keep them in a case...) and smell the nitro.

vz4dWs8.jpg

With that little lot I should hope you DO keep them in a case!

vz4dWs8.jpg

You keep guitars in cases :O

Back