Any Guitarists on TP?

I need a pedal board big enough to put this on but then it would be too heavy to lift.

peMCxsC.jpg

I need a pedal board big enough to put this on but then it would be too heavy to lift.
Buy an old baby walker from a boot fair, take the top bit off, then attach the pedals around the wheeled ring base. You stand in the middle to toe-poke them, then pull it around with a bit of string when you're finished. (y);)

My first "proper guitar" was a Gibson Flying V, I couldn't get on with it - too heavy for long gigs standing up, I sold it after 3 months :(

I did make this poster though :) :)

YwcUqUL.jpg

Les

That's some collection- I tend to use just the ones I have- which is enough for me, however: I do fancy the new "Dane" pedal :)

link- https://guitar.com/review/effects-pedal/thorpyfx-the-dane/

Les :)

Like you used to do demos for pedals, I take photos for their site so hence the collection, and hence they are not on a board really. I need to pose them from time to time and they really can't be in a mucky shape.

ekrJrzx.jpg

These are my boards and amps. The smaller one doesn't change

W6qEeDp.jpg

bLkyxeM.jpg

And a 5E3 clone.

13iNxoN.jpg

Last edited:
I used to play but gave up about 5 years ago, looking to get back into and thinking of getting a PRS SE Custom 24 in blue and a little Blackstar HT1. Got the itch to try and play again.

I think I have this stashed somewhere, but I've no idea where:

Les Paul Junior by Tim G, on Flickr

Excuse the dodgy pic from 2011:

Blackstar by Tim G, on Flickr

Last edited:
The Junior was always a real working mans tool, although possibly not the budget epi version. Having said that, it's likely no worse than the First Act I use for electric slide gigs sometimes (cost £35 used).

The Junior was always a real working mans tool, although possibly not the budget epi version. Having said that, it's likely no worse than the First Act I use for electric slide gigs sometimes (cost £35 used).

It’s ok actually. Someone flew it back from America for me as they were available here. Upgraded the pickup and it’s a cheap work horse.

Still, I want something a bit prettier now :) I had saved for a PRS Custom 24 about 6 years ago but had to pool the money in for a house deposit.

It’s ok actually. Someone flew it back from America for me as they were available here. Upgraded the pickup and it’s a cheap work horse.

Still, I want something a bit prettier now :) I had saved for a PRS Custom 24 about 6 years ago but had to pool the money in for a house deposit.

I remember the happy days of $2=£1 too. :D

Sadly guitars from the US aren't great value now. :(

I had a Les Paul fund for a long time like that, which would get subsumed when something important came along. Then I actually started playing Les Pauls with a view to purchase and picked up a Tokai Love Rock instead.

Nothing wrong with cheap guitars if they play OK, and many of them can be persuaded to do so. At least with an electric it's easy to set up action, relief and intonation, and even fret levelling isn't too difficult although it's not something I'd risk doing myself on an expensive instrument. PUP & electronics changes are easy too, and as long as the thing has been shaped sensibly & isn't made of soggy cardboard then it should be OK, even if not astonishing.

Perhaps if I bought a right handed one i could play or perhaps I would be worse .
Rob.

oooh! There's something about this photo that makes my teeth itch. It's like looking at someone holding a pencil in the wrong hand, lol.

#kickouttheprejudice

There's always someone with a racist comment about a southpaw. We can't help being better guitarists ;)

#kickouttheprejudice

There's always someone with a racist comment about a southpaw. We can't help being better guitarists ;)

Can't remember who it is now, but there's a left handed guitarist in quite a big band who plays a standard guitar "Upside down"...but he doesn't invert the strings so he's taught himself to play chords and scales and the like upside down, inside out and back to front!

Can't remember who it is now, but there's a left handed guitarist in quite a big band who plays a standard guitar "Upside down"...but he doesn't invert the strings so he's taught himself to play chords and scales and the like upside down, inside out and back to front!

You mean like this? https://SPAM/@patrickbshirley/10-fantastic-jimi-hendrix-live-tracks-e4bcc353dccf

Well yes, but didn't he string his guitars conventionally ie thick E at the top?
The one I'm thinking of had to totally re-invent the fingering of chord shapes and scales.

You're right that he strung a righty as a lefty, though I recall hearing (and it might be an urban legend) that he could play a normally strung righty upside down.

There's Albert King who DID play a guitar upside down (reckoned it made big bends easier) but he might not be who you had in mind either: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_King

Last edited:

It becomes more of a gimmick than anything. Ironically I used to play the bass upsidedown until I realised you can be yourself and fight the facist righty bigots :p

You're right that he strung a righty as a lefty, though I recall hearing (and it might be an urban legend) that he could play a normally strung righty upside down.

He could apparently play either variant of stringing with either hand but was most comfortable with "standard" left hand stringing played left handed. (He also wrote right handed.)

Dick Dale, the guy that played “Misirlou” the theme song from Pulp Fiction, played a right handed guitar flipped over. There’s also a US blues rock guy called Eric Gales (not to be confused with Eric Gale) who does the same thing. It’s just a case of how you learn to play in the first place I guess.

Often comes down to a combination of economics and convenience - or did. Less common to pick up a left hander and fiddle with it than a right hander and before the days of the interweb, there was usually a far smaller choice (if any) in music shops and they tended to be more expensive.

Does it feel good to you?

I like the way it feels lots. It’s going to take a bit of getting used to though. It’s very different from what I’m used to. Much warmer tone though.

The Chapman feels very workman like in comparison, whereas this feels more like something you play cause you love it despite its foibles. Does that make any sense?

Like using a film Leica!

I like the way it feels lots. It’s going to take a bit of getting used to though. It’s very different from what I’m used to. Much warmer tone though.

The Chapman feels very workman like in comparison, whereas this feels more like something you play cause you love it despite its foibles. Does that make any sense?

Perfect sense.

Back