Undecided any holiday booked for 2024 ?

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
Yes
Nothing like starting early so my wife and I have booked a river trip in Portugal next year on the Douro River . We have been lucky enough to visit so many different countries far too many to name. yet still a lot more on the bucket list, such as Australia and New Zealand now at the top of the list.
So has anyone else already booked and if so where too?

Booked a holiday of sorts, we have family living on Mersea Island near Colchester. Booked a week in May ‘24 :)

Haven't had a holiday since 2009. The joys of being self employed.
2009 was our last long haul holiday. the only other holiday we've had since then was Brittany in 2016. Another self-employed person here.
Of course Mrs P thinks my business trips to Ireland have included holiday time - I wish!
Having just bought a camper van though, I think some shorter UK trips will be planned. We're not really attracted to long haul or even European holidays much any more, mainly as it's not easy to take the dog with us but also because flying is such a chore and unpleasant experience now. Having said that, I still have a lot of BA Avios that I could use, from business travel in the past, so if I get permission, I might have one last splurge on business class to somewhere nice (or even First if the seats were available to points-holders).

2009 was our last long haul holiday. the only other holiday we've had since then was Brittany in 2016. Another self-employed person here.
Of course Mrs P thinks my business trips to Ireland have included holiday time - I wish!
Having just bought a camper van though, I think some shorter UK trips will be planned. We're not really attracted to long haul or even European holidays much any more, mainly as it's not easy to take the dog with us but also because flying is such a chore and unpleasant experience now. Having said that, I still have a lot of BA Avios that I could use, from business travel in the past, so if I get permission, I might have one last splurge on business class to somewhere nice (or even First if the seats were available to points-holders).

I bought and converted a van for the same reason. I don't work weekends or bank holidays so we try and get away even for a night or two when possible. I do manage to get 3-4 days between Christmas and New year which then equates to about 10 days break including the bank holidays but the wife is usually working a few days during that period anyway.

Costa Rica in March. We do at least one long-haul every 12-18 months. We are both employed and I am not one for holding off for retirement before travelling - I know of so many people working until late 60s and passing away before they retire or have a short retirement before ill-health kicks in.

Japan or Bhutan in 2025.
Ecuador & Galapagos in '26.

We tend to upgrade to Premium economy on BA (need the legroom and extra luggage allowance) for a better experience and I am usually lucky enough to get bumped up to Club a few times... Now that I have spent enough on BA Amex I keep getting Companion Vouchers, so spend Avios quicker than I earn them but on the other hand those reward flights don't earn tier points...

Been to Japan prefer china though also been to South Korea just to name a couple of places. Been to Brittany as well. Sicily was interisting

Last edited:
We have not gone abroad since Covid started.
Next year we have booked 1 week in Nth Norfolk for the bird reserves, 1 Week near Bath to visit the town & area and also our granddaughter at Bristol Uni, 1 week in the Malverns and the next week in the Brecon Beacons for walking.
Still thinking about next Autumn :)

Every year since 2006, my son and I have been away on motorcycle holidays and have been to France, Germany, Spain, Andorra, Switzerland, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, and Ireland. This year we are thinking of either going back to Ireland or to Northern France.

We used to go absolutely miles and miles without a second thought but now he is in his forties and slowing a little, I am 70 next year and my arthritic hands and general aches and pains prevent long journeys so we don't go as far. I'm not sure if next June won't be the last on the motorbike as I only use it during that one holiday now.

My wife went to India this September and now has the travel bug so is looking at either Greece or Costa Rica, although her greatest desire is to go to Alaska. We always take separate holidays as someone has to take care of the dogs and in general, we don't really like going to that same sort of places.

I was meant to be in Rome at the weekend, but had to cancel as my son was in hospital, we will be going at some point in the spring. We also have a family trip planned to the south coast.

Wierd, I wrote my reply yesterday and today I got an email from the owner of the self catering we are going to in Norfolk with details of the accomodation, htg controls, tv instructions etc.

We are not going until mid April so I should be able to read it all by then!

Easter next year

Newcastle to Heathrow
Heathrow to LA
1 week in LA

LA to Vegas (driving)
1 Week in Vegas
Vegas to Heathrow
Heathrow to Newcastle

Hoping to call in a few places on the way to Vegas since I will be driving.

First time in the USA and I'm hoping to grab a few bargains ;)

Heading to Florida next week, then going to Toronto at the end of November with no fixed return date.. going to NY over the holiday period from Toronto and then back to Canada.

Easter next year

Newcastle to Heathrow
Heathrow to LA
1 week in LA

LA to Vegas (driving)
1 Week in Vegas
Vegas to Heathrow
Heathrow to Newcastle

You'll love it I'm sure. I doubt you'll want to return to the UK!

Easter next year

Newcastle to Heathrow
Heathrow to LA
1 week in LA

LA to Vegas (driving)
1 Week in Vegas
Vegas to Heathrow
Heathrow to Newcastle

When I did that drive, we stopped at Peggy Sue's Diner and took a detour to the Hoover Dam.

Back to Cussy en Morvan again - there are bathrooms to refit and walls to paint. :p

It will be nice to see our friends of various nationalities again.

St Lucia in Feb, nothing else booked but will be Crete in June and Rhodes or one other Greek Island in September. Also at least one city break, probably Porto.
Quite fancy north Iceland now EasyJet fly direct to Akureyri

Crete in June and August. Just waiting for Mrs Nod to retire and then we might go elsewhere as well.

thank you all for posting on my thread, it is interesting seeing what others have planned. Has anyone gone back to the same place abroad I wonder, and if so what was the attraction. For us Norway is at the top of the list followed by my preference of China suprisingly enough. Forgetting the politics of any country and just getting on communicating with the inhabitants is a pleasure.

Sitting through a musical/dance show in South Korea? well if this is your type of thing then you would love it !!!!!!!!.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9gnfUR-rE

Last edited:
Has anyone gone back to the same place abroad I wonder, and if so what was the attraction

Apart from having a second home?

We've been to Lesvos twice in the same hotel, authentically Greek like it was 40 years ago. We also went back to Crete, but found it profoundly changed.

We've been going to Crete for 25+ years, staying at the same hotel. Still finding new places to see and eat. Around 50% of the people we see there are in a similar position, like a cosmopolitan extended family! Yes, it's changed but less than our local area here.
Other than seeing the "family" (including the family who own and run the hotel), we also know as soon as we get there where we can get good food, clean beaches, peace and quite etc..

We’ve been going to the same place in Crete for last seven years. Stay at same family owned apartment. It’s just a cheap and cheerful break in either June or September/October (sometimes both!). It’s only a small place (Agia Pelagia), not too many Brits and plenty of choice to eat. Only half an hour from the airport, just feel at home as soon as we get there.

Mrs WW will be going to Thailand for 6 months in 2024 and I'm hoping to join her for the last one. I've been three times since I met her and it is a lovely place.

We recently had our first attempt at camping so we hope to do more of that in 2024 and one day I'd love a cruise and maybe one to try and see the northern lights.

when we went to Sicily and on to Mount Etna, the week before there was a minor erujption and we we the first allowed back on there.
kEOU0LO.jpg

recent lava flow

PvKcnAz.jpg

Last edited:
also got to see a pipe player that made his own pipes and to it took 5 years to get to this standard. Taken in aSicilian courtward

EzpdJ89.jpg

ZwBzceT.jpg

Last edited:
Mrs WW will be going to Thailand for 6 months in 2024 and I'm hoping to join her for the last one. I've been three times since I met her and it is a lovely place.

We recently had our first attempt at camping so we hope to do more of that in 2024 and one day I'd love a cruise and maybe one to try and see the northern lights.
We went on the "Viking Mars" ship to Norway- fareo Isle and Iceland but not around the northern lights time unfortuantely. One of the best cruises we have been on. Just one issue we ha\d was those tfhat paid the most for the cruise got first choice on everything ie trips out- dining specialities etc. Bit unfair as ours would have cost around £11,000 if we had not got a very large discount due to covid and another trip cancelled. Apart from that we still got to see what we wanted to and the service and quality surpassed all the other cruise lines we have been on. Second visit to Norway

Last edited:
thank you all for posting on my thread, it is interesting seeing what others have planned. Has anyone gone back to the same place abroad I wonder, and if so what was the attraction. For us Norway is at the top of the list followed by my preference of China suprisingly enough. Forgetting the politics of any country and just getting on communicating with the inhabitants is a pleasure.

Sitting through a musical/dance show in South Korea? well if this is your type of thing then you would love it !!!!!!!!.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9gnfUR-rE
I have nothing booked yet for 2024. We have been to the Torridon area (specifically Shieldaig) many times for the scenery, wildlife and its relative closeness (150 miles). We have also been to the Florida Gulf Coast multiple times, sometimes staying in the same property. The weather is great in early December and there is a lot of bird life and other wildlife. In both of these locations, the locals speak a form of English.

I would also go back to Africa on safari and would definitely return to the Marataba Mountain Lodge

Also been to Florida did the Space Centre tour and stayed in Clearwater where where we went to manatee sanctuary park. Strange animals watching them eat the weeds on the water beds. Some were there because they had been hit by speedboats and taken there to recover. watched the Sea Screamer, the world's largest speedboat go down the River but never had time to go on it.
Been to Alcatrtaz as we stayed in Fishermans Wharf on another holiday. decided to prebook a boat from the UK to go there as we had been told they get booked up very early and going there you may not get a boat

XEO644X.jpg

alcatraz crrmbling away due to corrision with the sea air
Se5SIW6.jpg

we went as well to yosemite national park (a photographers dream place for photos) well worth going the air is so clear which
helps
Z2AWwHw.jpg

took a trip to Muir woods to see the redwood trees
0yEeE84.jpg

Last edited:
going to a different country next year as long as the car passes it m.o.t booked Wales to weymouth ..in may taking the tin tent for a relaxing first break

Yes, next June Mrs and me are going to stay in a nice Bungalow in Llandudno.

Sharing it with Son, Daughter in law and Grand-daughters aged 3 & 6.

Last edited:
We went to Hong Kong 4 years running (last time 2009), but as I grew up there maybe that wasn't quite in the normal vein of repeat holidays. There are some places I'd like to re-visit - Namibia, Tanzania, Nepal, and I do like California (went twice, second time staying on Queen Mary in Long Beach), However I don't think we will do long haul again, I think our future holidays will all be by train or in the campervan around Ireland and Europe. Maybe as far as Morocco (3 times visited but to different parts, the last time self-drive exploring). However nothing planned at present.

We went on the "Viking Mars" ship to Norway- fareo Isle and Iceland but not around the northern lights time unfortuantely. One of the best cruises we have been on. Just one issue we ha\d was those tfhat paid the most for the cruise got first choice on everything ie trips out- dining specialities etc. Bit unfair as ours would have cost around £11,000 if we had not got a very large discount due to covid and another trip cancelled. Apart from that we still got to see what we wanted to and the service and quality surpassed all the other cruise lines we have been on. Second visit to Norway

As Mrs WW is Thai and her family is in Thailand and also Singapore at times those places are the ones she wants to go to. She does mention Europe and she likes the idea of a cruise too as one of our friends recently went on one and has told her lovely stories. I have reminded her that she always wants to go to Thailand so we'll see if we do get to go somewhere else one day.

Linsay we wet to Tunisia for our honeymoon back in 1972. We originally could not afford one. where my wife worked in london the office below was a travel agent and my wife also did a bit of confidentual work for the boss for nothing. When he found out she was getting married he asked about the honeymoon and she said we could not afford one. What with the cost of wedding- reception and buying a house, no support from family either. He said he would sort something out we could afford. So to cut a long story short he offered 2 weeks in a 5* hotel right on the beach with private beach . All flights included. obvoiusly way out of our means UNTIL !!!!!!!!!!! he said not even for £25 for the both of us as a thank you and wedding pressie

Alan
when we got married my wife worked for a company and her boss was a Thai lady whose husband was the Thai Embassy Ambassador in the UK. Her name was I cant spell her name. she also owned a couple of restrauants ikn Epsom and Leatherhead. WE were invited to have a meal in the leatherhead one as she had some business to attend to there. AS you know Thai woman are stunningly beautiful and dead posh
So my wife and I sat down at a table with her and she ordered the food. when she went into the back room the very ve ry smart gentleman and lady snat the next table lent over and ask me who she was.Now my wicked sense of humour kicked in. I whispered back she was a Thai princess and her father wsas the Thai Ambassador for the UK and Europe ( which was true about her dad)
Well Prim. came back and sat down and the poor man started sweating and apologising ,Why I don't know. Prim asked me about it and when they left I told her what had happened
We also got invited to the opening ceremony of the Thai Temple in Wimbledon main one for Europe. There is another story about about that as well.

Last edited:
Heading to Scotland to Alan McFadden's hides in May (weekend) Then somewhere with the family in July and September

Back