Any of you use a Bridge camera as you main camera ?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello Everyone,

I have recently dug out a cheap Kodak AZ401 Bridge camera which I brought new a number of years ago when I started in more serious digital photography but never really used. I'm quite enjoying using it although it is quite restricted in some of it features ( the main one being lack of EVF) But this has made me think that a better Bridge camera might be quite a usable package as everything is in one package . So I wondered if any of you use a Bridge camera as you main camera ?

I sold all my cameras/lenses and now have

panasonic lx5 as a daily carry and an FZ330 for the more serious days out, whilst the small sensors on these cameras are not to everyone’s taste I am not a professional and only print up to a3 and don’t really pixel peep they are perfect for me

panasonic lx5 as a daily carry and an FZ330 for the more serious days out, whilst the small sensors on these cameras are not to everyone’s taste I am not a professional and only print up to a3 and don’t really pixel peep they are perfect for me
That also covers me Gary, I know I'm never going to be a world class photographer and in all reality just enjoy taking photos and getting out into interesting places ad events. The Sony a6000 in all reality does me well but having known what I know now I may well have gone for a reasonable Bridge camera to give me a little more flexibility.

Sometimes, I find a more advanced camera has advantages for me but I also want the advantages of a bridge camera, so I've made bridge cameras out of a Sony A65 with a Tamron 16~300mm and a Nikon D600 with a Tamron 28~300mm...

Camera Sony A65 on trivet in kitchen DSC01375.JPGCamera Nikon D600 Tamron 28-300mm A65 DSC00155.JPG

Just bought a Kodak Pixpro az528 after years of no photography. My media is all taken with this camera and I'm rather pleased with the results that are achievable.

I bought a used RX10 mk4 for a recent trip. I was very taken with the all in one solution it offered for travel photography. To the extent where I am now experimenting with it instead of my other kit now I’m home. AF performance, image quality are excellent and the convenience factor cannot be overlooked.

A time or two ago I underwent several bits of major surgery and while I was recovering from the first one I was unable to carry anything heavy which included my Fuji cameras. I couldn't possibly go without taking a camera out with me so I purchased a "Sony RX100M6". I was so impressed with the files that this little camera could produce that as soon as I was able to carry something a bit heavier I purchased a "Sony RX10M4" and to be honest I've never looked back. I pretty much use this camera and my "RX100M6" for everything these days, just using my Fuji units in the studio.

Last edited:
Just after major surgery 10 years ago, I tried a bridge as a way to rekindle my interest in photography (a Fuji of some sort IIRC). As soon as I felt up to it, I went back to the DSLR system and realised that the bridge had been a lot of compromise. Also tried a Nikon P900 (or 9000) a few years back and again was underwhelmed by the results.

I have recently had shoulder reconstructive surgery after a bicycle crash I've now got to the stage where I can use two hands on the camera for limited time ( rather than one handed upside down). As I hate carrying things I've always kept the gear down to a minimum so luckily the weight has never been an issue.

Last edited:
As a stop-gap and/or a reintroduction, a bridge fits the bill, especially if you have one already but the limitations soon become all too apparent when larger prints are wanted/needed.

I sold all my Canon gear and now use a Sony RX10mk3, it has a great focal range (up to 600mm) and the image quality is superb.

I use a Panasonic FZ2000, it's my only camera (apart from my phone) and I'm very happy with the results I'm getting from it. I shoot mostly landscapes and things like that, but I have used it for motorsport and planes and had good results too. My photos are here if you're interested in seeing them:

I use a Panasonic FZ2000, it's my only camera (apart from my phone) and I'm very happy with the results I'm getting from it. I shoot mostly landscapes and things like that, but I have used it for motorsport and planes and had good results too. My photos are here if you're interested in seeing them:

Lots of great photos there. Thanks for sharing.

I've been playing with a Panasonic FZ82 recently. With an effective range equivalent to 20mm ~ 1200mm, it's nowhere near perfect but I like the results ( although I'm sure the usual suspects will be along to sneer, soon enough :naughty: )

Full moon FZ82 P1000886.JPGSquirrel Blackmore Gardens Sidmouth FZ82 P1000749.JPGHorseshoe shaped leaves Blackmore Gardens Sidmouth FZ82 P1000754.JPGBusker Sidmouth FZ82 P1000715.JPG

I use an fz330(300) as my main camera
its ’good enough’ for my requirements, I am not a pro and do not pixel peep(much)

I tried a panasonic FZ82 last year, whilst the zoom range was impressive, I found the quality average and low light grim. For a walkabout daytime camera for say a blog it was fine. but in poor light or for begger images I just didn't cut it for me.
That said thats not the best bridge camera you can get (I blagged it for a week) The menu left a lot to be desired too, I never got it totally figured out.

I tried a panasonic FZ82 last year ... just didn't cut it for me.
Different folks, different strokes.

I value portability above all. At the end of the day, the best camera in the world is the one you have in your hands, when the picture presents itself.

I have only ever officially sold one photo (in exchange for a donation to the charity National Association for Bikers with a Disability) and it was taken on an 8MP Kodak Z812IS bridge camera. I have invoiced three other companies who used my photos without permission (one paid up, the others took the photos down from their websites) and these shots were taken on the same bridge camera. I mainly concentrate on film these days, but I would be happy to use a bridge camera when convenient. Most viewers don't care what camera a nice shot was taken on.

Last edited:
The biggest percentage of my Photos are taken on a small point and shoot, I would say 50 to 60% of them with the next biggest portion on a Modern Sony and then an old hand me down phone and a mix of Film cameras. the main reason for this is I don't like carrying things when out walking/mooching , I'm quite often scrambling up or down step banks walking stream beds and just generally getting mucky. The worst that could happen with the point and shoot is £20 worth of damage ( I have wreaked a few) and have given up on new smart phones for the same reason.
The Sony will clearly take a better photo but not when it's been smashed to bits ( I would have to cry) and not when I'm in one place and the cameras in another. In most cases I'm with you Andrew Unless it's on a deliberate photographic trip. In the mean while the little point and shoot sits in my pocket.

nik.jpg

The biggest percentage of my Photos are taken on a small point and shoot, I would say 50 to 60% of them with the next biggest portion on a Modern Sony and then an old hand me down phone and a mix of Film cameras. the main reason for this is I don't like carrying things when out walking/mooching , I'm quite often scrambling up or down step banks walking stream beds and just generally getting mucky. The worst that could happen with the point and shoot is £20 worth of damage ( I have wreaked a few) and have given up on new smart phones for the same reason.
The Sony will clearly take a better photo but not when it's been smashed to bits ( I would have to cry) and not when I'm in one place and the cameras in another. In most cases I'm with you Andrew Unless it's on a deliberate photographic trip. In the mean while the little point and shoot sits in my pocket.

View attachment 370248
We have a Nikon the same size and colour as that one and the quality is surprisingly good. It is 14 MP I think.

To revive this thread, how about a small brown bird looking at me through a dirty double glazed window? Panasonic FZ82...

Small brown bird through window FZ82 P1010324.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have a bridge camera but am thinking of getting one, because of the size/weight/depth of field and simplicity benefits.
I had one a lifetime ago and it did some incredible work, I only really put it away because that particular model ran through batteries at an alarming rate.

I use a Panasonic fz82. But not as my main camera. I’m spoilt with my Nikon d800 ff , but I recently went on my hols and just took the bridge camera, and it performs very well

I sold my A9 and 200-600mm etc and replaced it all with a Sony RX10iv.
Although the RX10iv isn't as good as mu A9 etc it's a lot more portable and as a result is getting much more use.
I've yet to be disappointed with the results.
I know it's meant to suffer in low light, but that's never an issue for me as I rarely shoot in low light.

I don't take my DSLR out much unless I'm specifically going out to take photos, on account of the size and weight of it and lenses. I have a Panasonic FZ200 that frequently gets taken out for things like holidays, day trips, or out on the bike - times when I'm not going out specifically to take photos but I might want to. I find that I don't use it that much because I'm aware of its limitations, specifically down to the little compact-camera-sized sensor. I often toy with the idea of getting a 1" sensor bridge camera like the FZ1000/2000 but can't justify spending the cash though I do regularly check out what the 2nd hand market is like for them.

If I ever need a quick picture for a forum post (non photography forums), my first grab is the DSLR (Canon 50D) with a Tamron 17-50mm and a Speedlite 550EX.

Odd things that catch my attention, such as these wires wrapped around an ancient alms house chimney, are grist to the FZ82's mill...

Chimney and telephone wires Livery Dole Almshouses Exeter FZ82 P1010284.JPG

I'd say not as a 'main' camera.

At least not yet.

After many combinations of cameras, I did end up with a Canon 80D and a 5D3.

Because of the way this came about I had loads of lenses (5 or 6 IIRC) for the 80D. But because it was almost as big as the 5D, there seemed to be no real reason to take the 'worse' one over and above the better one and it sat unused for long time. In the end, I sold it and took the plunge on a SH Sony RX10 M4.

I'd normally take the 5D on holiday with me. Plus two or three lenses. But the last couple of hols I've been on, I've been really restricted with luggage, so only took the Sony.

I've been very pleased with it. It's not perfect, but for holidays, the versatility outweighs the downsides.

I also have a Canon G5 X. This is a great accompaniment to the Sony for nights out, where I want to take something even smaller. And a great camera in its own right.

I now tend to use the 5D for the TP52 assignments and other times when I'm going to events or parties in the UK and want the best quality I can.

Last edited:
I suppose that the so-called "travel cameras" such as the Sony HX90 or the Panasonic TZ series could be defined as miniature bridge cameras, with their 30x difference between wide and long. With one of those in your pocket, you can deal with almost anything.

From a Panasonic TZ40: t:he staircase taken at the widest setting and the frog towards the longest...

Spiral staircase from above TZ40 1000401.JPG
Frog in the garden TZ40 1020277.JPG

Last edited:
I have a Panasonic Lumix FZ2000 (as well as. Fuji X-S10 and Sony RX100vi), with each one used dependent on what I’m up to - the RX100vi is a superb travel camera - just sleeps in a pocket and takes great images.

the LUMIX (which)replaced an excellent but ageing FZ330 is an excellent 1” sensor camera in decent light and perfect for me, a hobbyist who rarely prints anything and usually views on nothing bigger than my 24” iMac.

I could could live with it as my only camera, but it’s a bit big for my travel purposes, and there’s no doubt the Fuji trumps it for IQ. I was going to get an RX10iv, but they’re twice the price For a slightly longer reach and same sensor size.

For once, and unusually, I had all three cameras on my holiday to Pembrokeshire last week, so you can judge and compare for yourself on my Flickr album here

Last edited:
I have a Canon sx50 bridge camera and it's probably the most used of my cameras but I would't say it's my main camera... because it's lightweight (and fits in my walking coat pocket) and has good zoom it's very convenient but I would say my main camers is my Canon 80D with either my 70-105mm or 150-600mm lenses but I also own a 40D (astro modded) and about 6 other lenses.

Not as a main camera, I do use a Sony ZV1 and a Panasonic TZ 80 a fair bit, the Panasonic has the same sort of range as a 24-720mm on full frame, and the Sony with it's special digital zoom (actually really good) comes out something like a 24-360mm. Both are really handy, good quality (sonys best) and will fit in a pocket. 2 off the Panosonic showing the zoom range.

Attachments

• P1000200tele.jpg
    P1000200tele.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 17
  • P1000199wide.jpg
    P1000199wide.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Not as a main camera, I do use a Sony ZV1 and a Panasonic TZ 80 a fair bit, the Panasonic has the same sort of range as a 24-720mm on full frame, and the Sony with it's special digital zoom (actually really good) comes out something like a 24-360mm. Both are really handy, good quality (sonys best) and will fit in a pocket. 2 off the Panosonic showing the zoom range.

Those superzooms are so impressive. It's one of the things that staggers me about the Sony (RX10).

I've done a couple of compare and contrast images before.

600mm

Hajduk Split by Kell, on Flickr

24mm (this is a bit of a cheat as it's a pano...)

Clue - The Hajduk Split logo in the first image is just off centre to the right of the image below).

Split by Kell, on Flickr

This one is more of a true test:

Wide

DSC00281 by Kell, on Flickr

Mid:

DSC00279 by Kell, on Flickr

Zoom:

DSC00282 by Kell, on Flickr

As I couldn't carry anything heavy for a while after surgery I was forced to go for a small all in one camera nearly five years ago so I bought an "RX100M6" (same lens & sensor as the M7) and was so impressed with the quality of the images I could get from it that as I became stronger and with the help of @dibbly (Mike) I bought an "RX10M4" and have never gone back to taking and interchangeable lens camera out with me since.

I still use my Fuji (APSC & MF) gear sometimes in the studio but that's all. The "RX10M4" is an absolutely superb unit as is the "RX100M6" and if I had to give up all of my cameras and keep just one unit then without a doubt that would be the "RX10M4".

I actually also, like the OP have a AZ401

I never mention it because obviously it's not really pro (that said neither really is my gopro, which is my main device now).

One day I will upgrade to a black magic pocket 4k (more into video than stills) but the AZ401 does allright for stills, within reasonable expectations for it's spec and price point.

I have been known to set up both the gopro and the kodak together and use the kodak just to provide supplementary material but it is very much what it is, i/e not fantastic, not terrible. it's what I have, so I use it.

Last edited:
My first bridge camera was a Kodak Z812is, 8Mp with a 12X zoom. The lens was a Schneider, which was sharp, but suffered distortion at the wide end. There was also unpredictable vignetting throughout the zoom range, which I suspect had something to do with the image stabilisation. Iloved that camera until it died after about 10 years of quite heavy use.

100_2228edit.jpg100_2305edit.jpg100_2346edit.jpg

The thing I really like about something like the FZ82 is how it can cover from extreme wide angle...

Church Street Kenton FZ82 P1010335.JPG

via extreme close up...

USB to USB-C adapter FZ82 P1010205.JPG

To cover things that are really far away...

Half moon diagonal FZ82 P1010164.jpg

Back