Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Sony a7 III

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Canon

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, my Nikon D7000 has broken (sd card readers on side broke) so I’m going to look at a new camera instead as I was going to upgrade anyway!
Now my delimma is the fact I’ve researched it a bit too much a few cameras have caught my eye. I’ll be using the camera as business - work in baby, child & family photography that’ll include portraits, christenings, birthday parties , family trips as well as other things including pets and school etc.
Now I’ve always had a Nikon and also only known about them.
So I was 1st thinking of Nikon D750 with a body lens that it will come with 24-120 or if I could push it just the body and then the lens (24-70)
however ive noticed Sony a7 III which I’ve read has really good reviews....if so what lens would be good for this too?
Mans do you guys recommend any canons too?
Itll my camera for at least a good 10 years so it’ll have to be something that’ll work and be good quality!
Any help would be appreciated- thank you xx

What other Nikon gear do you have besides the body? If you change to Canon or Sony you'll need to changes lenses and flashes. (Yes, Nikon lenses can be adapted to Sony mirrorless cameras but not nearly as well as Canon.)
Is the 24-120mm's f4 maximum aperture wide enough for your portrait work or would you need the 2.8 that the 24-70mm provides? Canon & Sony both have equivalent lenses.

I'm not voting in your poll as it is, frankly, pointless. All three brands will do an equally good job, given an adequate user.

Last edited:
It is all DX glass I am assuming? If you are going D750 or Sony A7iii you would need to change all of the glass anyway I assume?

I have 50 prime lens, 85 prime lens, 55-200, 18-55 and 18-105.

So out of 5 lenses only 2 could be used for a D750, although they are the ones I'd probably choose for the kind of work you describe.

I've just moved from Nikon (D610) to Sony (A7III) and when it comes to the eye-AF then it's quite remarkable. Getting eyes in sharp focus is always a challenge, and for any kind of social photography I'd have considered it an absolute essential. As for which lens(s) for people photography I'd say 85 f1.8 and something around 28mm or 35mm. It's quite spendy though, and if I thought Nikon seemed expensive after Sony/Minolta A mount, this is another level up on Nikon, though the lenses are probably some of the best in class.

As Toni says, the two best lenses you have will work well with a D750 so that would be your least expensive option. The other three lenses will also work but will put the camera into APS-C mode.

I've just moved from Nikon (D610) to Sony (A7III) and when it comes to the eye-AF then it's quite remarkable. Getting eyes in sharp focus is always a challenge, and for any kind of social photography I'd have considered it an absolute essential. As for which lens(s) for people photography I'd say 85 f1.8 and something around 28mm or 35mm. It's quite spendy though, and if I thought Nikon seemed expensive after Sony/Minolta A mount, this is another level up on Nikon, though the lenses are probably some of the best in class.

So do you recommend this camera then? I’ve been told it’s really good.

Thank you, I’ve been told another two camera that would work and use my lenses are D500 and D7500....what do you guys think of these? X

As Toni says, the two best lenses you have will work well with a D750 so that would be your least expensive option. The other three lenses will also work but will put the camera into APS-C mode.

I’ve been told the D750 have had recalls so this have really put me off it at moment...any truth to the statement? X

So do you recommend this camera then? I’ve been told it’s really good.

I've had mine less than 2 weeks, but it can track an eye for AF better than I ever could. Image quality otherwise seems very decent - low noise at high ISO, good shadow recovery, reasonable colours. This is the third camera I've owned with EVF, and it makes me feel slightly detached from reality, even though it's the best EVF I've ever used. It's also slow to start, taking a couple of seconds before it's ready for a picture, which is a problem if you always turn your camera off between sots as I do, but not at all if you normally leave it on.

Thank you, I’ve been told another two camera that would work and use my lenses are D500 and D7500....what do you guys think of these? X

D500 is meant to be superb, and is probably one of the very best crop cameras on the market.

I’ve been told the D750 have had recalls so this have really put me off it at moment...any truth to the statement? X

They have, but that was a while ago. The D750 is a great camera for photographing people, using by pro wedding photographers everywhere.

I was going to suggest the D500, but then I don’t really shoot the things you do, so decided to avoid posting, i also don’t have or tried the other two, but I moved from a d5100 to the D500 and it’s just stunning in comparison, but then I shoot mainly sports/action sport/wildlife etc, so for me AF was the key, the D500 hits almost every time.
You can hire a body to test or maybe find someone and have a wonder with them to see the difference.

Getting eyes in sharp focus is always a challenge, and for any kind of social photography I'd have considered it an absolute essential. .
Seriously? I appreciate that the eye focus is very good but is it essential? I mean how have we done it for all of these years without it ;)

Seriously? I appreciate that the eye focus is very good but is it essential? I mean how have we done it for all of these years without it ;)

I didn't say it was impossible - only a challenge, at least it always has been for me. I meant that having eyes in focus was essential - not eye AF.

I didn't say it was impossible - only a challenge, at least it always has been for me. I meant that having eyes in focus was essential - not eye AF.
Ahh sorry, I misread (y)

Can be a challenge for sure, but that's half the fun imo :)

Don’t take this the wrong way but most modern cameras will be good enough for portraiture (and most photography genres, though some will make it easier with certain features). For the success of your business the camera won’t be the most important thing so don’t worry too much about it. No clients are going to say ‘the photos are ok but would have been better if they were taken with x camera’. They won’t even notice what you are using.

An important point as a business you will really need 2 cameras. If your only camera fails on a job what would you do? Your budget will need to factor those points in. You also haven’t mentioned a budget or if you are happy with second hand so it’s very difficult for anyone to give advice.

Asking a question like this in the equipment section probably won’t get you the answers you really want. All it will likely get you is what people use themselves and therefore recommend, and many of those replies will be from hobbyists (like myself) who probably can’t help that much.

There is a business section to the forum that may be useful to you. It may be useful to have a read of threads in there. There are plenty of very skilful pro’s on here that are willing to provide advice and point you in the right direction. Good luck with your business, hope everything goes well.

An important point as a business you will really need 2 cameras. If your only camera fails on a job what would you do? Your budget will need to factor those points in. You also haven’t mentioned a budget or if you are happy with second hand so it’s very difficult for anyone to give advice.

There is a business section to the forum that may be useful to you. It may be useful to have a read of threads in there. There are plenty of very skilful pro’s on here that are willing to provide advice and point you in the right direction. Good luck with your business, hope everything goes well.

Thank you, I will hopefully get my other camera fixed with time (and still have my first ever camera as a backup).
I’ve been offered an upgrade so that’s why I’ve asked this question. I don’t know the forum very well which is my bad for not looking around it before I posted, but the sooner i post and have answers the sooner I can order a new camera as it’s like loosing myself being without my camera lol!

It’s mostly for portraiture which I’ve done with older cameras and any others too, but given I’ve got lenses already I’m thinking now between D500. However since I can spend a little more maybe D750 just nervous about not getting to use my lenses and buying new. But will have to take a jump!

Yes one thing to mention, when I moved from D5100 to D500 I noticed a very small improvement in actual picture quality, mainly it was all about the AF for me, but when I got the new 70-200 picture quality jumped, I would say quality wise the lens made 2-3 times more then the body upgrade.
But then again I have only taken a few shots with the new glass on d5100, so maybe I haven’t given the old body enough to feel 100% it’s all the lens.

Back