Any recommendations on music/bands for a 10 year old

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
My daughter is 10 soon and is getting more and more into her own mind, including music to listen to.

Is there any artists that I can perhaps steer her towards, which have a safer content of lyrics, i.e swearing or other adult content?

Thanks in advance.

STOP POSTING AFFILIATE LINKS - this is the third one in 6 posts you've made...
I have a couple suggestions for this question. Personally I think Taylor Swift and Katy Perry are good artists to go for and Ed Sheeran has great music without swearing and adult content.

There is a CD album I recommend you purchase because it includes all of the best artists without any swearing or adult content.

https://amzn.to/2XvjVfD

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter grew up listening to AC/DC, GnR, Bruce Springsteen, Bad Company etc, didn't do her any harm
Still appreciates rock music now she is nearing 30, we both went to see Wishbone Ash back end of last year

I have a couple suggestions for this question. Personally I think Taylor Swift and Katy Perry are good artists to go for and Ed Sheeran has great music without swearing and adult content.

There is a CD album I recommend you purchase because it includes all of the best artists without any swearing or adult content.

https://amzn.to/2XvjVfD

and there we have it, yet another affiliate link... (now broken, so don't bother reporting it ladies and gents...)

my friend, if you've just joined the forum to post affiliate links to amazon, you've joined the wrong forum...

take a look at the forum rules... they're HERE - https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/help/rules/

mainly this bit, I'll post in this thread to help make it clear,

Prohibited content
Piracy (of the internet kind), anything naughty or criminal. Market research, surveys etc.
Anything that makes you money (or goods) from our community (Referral links etc).
Anything else that just isn't nice.

I've broken the affiliate link, and you've been given a Warning point for doing this. please don't do it again.

My daughter grew up listening to AC/DC, GnR, Bruce Springsteen, Bad Company etc, didn't do her any harm
Still appreciates rock music now she is nearing 30, we both went to see Wishbone Ash back end of last year

Thanks for the input.

Is she into current 'pop' or music more generally?
At the moment, music in general, as I generally listen to all-sorts and am not particularly affiliated to one genre/band/artist.

Powderfinger
Three albums well worth a listen
Odyssey number five
Dream days at the hotel existence
Golden Rule

My daughter is 10 soon and is getting more and more into her own mind, including music to listen to.

Is there any artists that I can perhaps steer her towards, which have a safer content of lyrics, i.e swearing or other adult content?

Thanks in advance.

Most mainstream music won't contain swearing. But most is likely to have some adult content. But a 10yr old isn't likely to recognise it as adult content.
I'd be inclined to just let her develop her own taste in music. It is likely to be influenced by the music you listen to anyway.
Both my sons musical taste was influenced from my taste in rock music and it developed from there. As a result I have been introduced to different elements of rock music, from their taste.

Thanks in advance.
You should probably just play what you love. Then she'll either end up liking it too, or it will give her something to rebel against a few years from now. :)

You should probably just play what you love. Then she'll either end up liking it too, or it will give her something to rebel against a few years from now. :)

Our son - now 32 YO - enjoyed a mixture of Alien Ant Farm, The Offspring, Prodigy, Gary Moore, Santana, ZZ Top etc. mixing OK new with great old stuff. Playing good music around the home can help them develop their tastes more constructively than if they're just fed a diet of 'bangin choones' by their school friends.

Playing good music around the home can help them develop their tastes more constructively

Agree with this 100%

A casual exposure to a good mix of genres.

Everything from Motown to jazz to pop, reggae, rock and beyond.

She'll figure out her own tastes or develop no interest in music at all.

Thanks all. I generally be play a wide range of music, from jazz, blues and soul, some 50s through the 80s and 90s and more modern pop, so a wide range.

Instrumentals then there's no effing and jeffing ;)

80s pop is fairly benign from what I remember. Avoid frankie goes to Hollywood though...

Until she Googles the meaning behind the lyrics of 99 Red Balloons by Nina and freaks out at the ever present threat of nuclear war; or listens to Rockwell and Somebody's Watching Me and becomes paranoid; or hears White Lines (Don't Do It) by Melle Mel and finds out about Class A drugs; or Like A Virgin by Madonna, let's not expand on that one!

So that probably leaves us with I Feel For You by Chaka Khan and Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Junior on constant loop replay... which was how I remember pop radio in the second half of 1984! ;)

That's the trouble with music, if you listen to the lyrics! At the age of ten I was quite happy listening to Snoopy Versus The Red Baron, and The Wombles, as far as pop music went. Then again, I did like listening to the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Black Sabbath, Sly And The Family Stone, Deep Purple and Osibisa when my Dad was playing them on his Hi-Fi or on the 8 track car stereo, and used to enjoy looking at the fantastic artwork on the LP record albums of the day (see below). I didn't really listen to the lyrics, other than the chorus or hook line, and it didn't do me any harm that I'm aware of, and these days I've got one of the coolest record collections you've ever seen! :giggle:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rD3scm_3vg

Last edited:
Haha...

In the tiny, grubby Virgin records store, run by hippies, 1973ish I was a bit intimidated by the Osibisa album covers.

Haha...

In the tiny, grubby Virgin records store, run by hippies, 1973ish I was a bit intimidated by the Osibisa album covers.

I'd better not mention the LP album covers of Hendrix's Electric Ladyland, or the centre-fold of the original Juicy Lucy LP... or, in the case of vegetarians and vegans, Blodwyn Pig's Ahead Rings Out - you've got to love that curly tail on the back!

Last edited:
Back