Any Sigma 300mm 2.8 users?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hiya

Been looking at the Sigma 300mm 2.8 and it seems to get very mixed reviews yet the two people I know who have owned one both commented on how good they where, any users on here with real world use comments?

Thanks

I have used one in the past and yes I found them to be very good I still have a couple of 300mm f2.8s a older Tamron SP manual focus and a superb Tokina ATX AF 300mm f2.8 both have given me excellent results.
If your looking at used they can be picked up at some bargain prices these days !

Can't comment on the 300 but I have and really like the 120-300mm f2.8( model before the sport). I believe the IQ is more or less the same you have the added benefit of the 120-300 zoom and also IS.

Last edited:
I had one for a few years and think it is an underrated lens. It worked very well with the Sigma 1.4x an 2.0x converters. I traded it in against a Canon 100-400mm II. There are times than I miss having the f/2.8 and the option to shoot 600mm f/5.6.

If was in the market for a 300 f/2.8 lens again, I would consider the Sigma though I would also be checking out used Canon 300 f/2.8 IS. I would also check out the Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 OS.

Can't comment on the 300 but I have and really like the 120-300mm f2.8( model before the sport). I believe the IQ is more or less the same you have the added benefit of the 120-300 zoom and also IS.

The 120-300 was also something I had been looking at, have you tried yours with a 1.4x TC?

I generally agree with this although i’ve had to take up weightlifting classes to hand hold it- images great though

I have used one in the past and yes I found them to be very good I still have a couple of 300mm f2.8s a older Tamron SP manual focus and a superb Tokina ATX AF 300mm f2.8 both have given me excellent results.
If your looking at used they can be picked up at some bargain prices these days !
I cant agree with the statement about the Tokina ATX 300mm 2.8 I have had one and its was the slowest focusing lens I have ever put on a camera body.I have had in the past a sigma 300mm 2.8 albeit an older version and that was a lot better than the Tokina. I have a mate who loves is sigma 300mm 2.8 ex he says its a great lens if you can not afford native glass for your body

I had a Sigma 300mm/2.8 that I used on Canon 1DmkII and 1DmkIII bodies for sports shooting. When it hit focus the shots were lovely. But it missed focus just too often. An older Canon 300mm/2.8 just worked more reliably, especially with teleconverters. If speedy accurate focus is a priority then I would check a Sigma very carefully before parting with the cash. If you can take your time with focus then the Sigma is well-worth a look.

I agree with the above I have a sony 300mm 2.8 which is awesome but I currently use a sigma 500mm for wildlife and that is great when you take care and manage to hit focus but I guess this is true of a lot of third party lenses and don't forget most of these lenses cost much less than native glass which is why they are made

Back