Any slider users on here?

Name
Chris Tarling
Edit My Images
No
Interested to hear what you're using and pros/cons/tips...

I do like the look of the GVM WS-2D motorised slider. Can't quite afford to buy one at the moment but I can see lots of shots it will open up for me.

I have been using a 600mm manual slider for the last 12 months but have just bought a GVM-60D motorised one off a guy on here 3 days ago. The WS-2D looks a nice bit of kit. All I can say is the one I have although bottom of the range it works very well and handles my 2.5kg setup without a problem even on a 60 degree incline.

Last edited:
That's cool!
I am assuming a motorised slider is a huge advantage.
Just been looking at the Newer VS-100WC. Lots cheaper than the GVM i mentioned and reviews are good.
I don't know what the price difference is. The 600mm manual slider I have is the Neewer make and although it does the job ok when it's stood on it's feet it does tend to bend and twist when its on a tripod, the longer ones are probably worse and I don't like where the battery is mounted. Yes it will be dearer but I know which I would choose.

Last edited:
Interested to hear what you're using and pros/cons/tips...

I do like the look of the GVM WS-2D motorised slider. Can't quite afford to buy one at the moment but I can see lots of shots it will open up for me.
What do you plan on using it for.

I have the GVM GT-60D, does a great job, its a bit of a pain if your filming outside a lot as you end up with a very heavy rucksack. If I'm wanting to travel lighter i use a Pergear 400, its a manual slider but takes a 5D4 with a decent lens without problem. For really light work i have similar type Neewer/YC onion slider, its a lot shorter giving only either 6 or 12inch of movement (depending how its supported) its great with a phone or GoPro and will even take the weight of a 77D with small lens, lovely smooth movement. I also have a Moza Slypod Pro which works very well as a slider but with a lot more options on camera placement than a normal slider.

GVM GT-60D Youtube
Pergear 400 Youtube
YC onion Youtube
Slypod Pro Youtube
Not my videos.

The more I look into the GVM the more I begin to wonder if it's the right product.
The consistent thing I am seeing is that if you hit an issue the GVM support is very poor. In terms of purchase the only options appear to be buy from Amazon (at a ridiculous price) or from GVM itself, which again worries me about back up if I hit an issue.
Newer appears to get lots of praise for its back up, and there are a lot of options as to where to purchase.
Hmm....

Last edited:
Bit confused by the Newer models actually - there is also an ER1 model but the differences are not clear in detail. Only thing that I can see is that the ERI is available in a longer size. Apart from that the core slider looks exactly the same.

That GVM does seem a bit pricey, if i was looking at spending that amount I would add a few quid more and go for the IFootage slider. Not only will it slide but will also rotate the camera at the same time giving more options.
IFootage slider

Having looked at the lower end options, the engineering solutions employed and the footage created I have come to the conclusion that a slider is more like a £2k purchase than £500.
Need to save my pennies and build my requirement for one.

Having looked at the lower end options, the engineering solutions employed and the footage created I have come to the conclusion that a slider is more like a £2k purchase than £500.
Need to save my pennies and build my requirement for one.
Only you can decide what's right for you but £2k wow! Do you have a particular make or model in mind? I'm curious to know what type of photography/videography would require a £2k level of sophistication?

Only you can decide what's right for you but £2k wow! Do you have a particular make or model in mind? I'm curious to know what type of photography/videography would require a £2k level of sophistication?
Not really.
£2k may well be OTT - I was just trying to indicate that I think the spend needs to be a lot higher than a few hundred. The engineering sophistication just doesn't seem to at the level needed in the low cost ones - no surprise I guess.
I'm probably hugely biased - spent most of my professional career in aerospace....

Not really.
£2k may well be OTT - I was just trying to indicate that I think the spend needs to be a lot higher than a few hundred. The engineering sophistication just doesn't seem to at the level needed in the low cost ones - no surprise I guess.
I'm probably hugely biased - spent most of my professional career in aerospace....
Once an engineer, as they say. Love to see what you finish up with.

If having a slider is what one wants then fine. I think it may help people, like myself, to understand when one would use it and what for.

I think it may help people, like myself, to understand when one would use it and what for.
Watch any hollwood film and you'll see its mostly moving camera shots these days, a great shot is always going to be a great shot but the moving camera just adds that bit more to it, it is the icing on the cake. In films they will use a dolly on rails, most normal people dont have that budget so a slider is a great way of getting that effect on a lower budget.

A mechanical slider allows you to film the exact camera movement over and over again no matter how many takes it might take, you cant get that accuracy with handheld or a gimbal. A motorized slider gives you the option of matching the movement with the speed of camera movement, your subject takes 5 seconds to move from point A to point B, then you set the camera to move in the same time frame, try doing that handheld consistantly for take after take, you cant. Its not an essential tool, and you can manage without one but once you've used one its hard to go back to doing the manual movements that a slider does.

Put a camera with Laowa Probe lens on a slider and nothing will get you a shot like that combination, example

I have a Panasonic HC-VXF990EBK that i use for some filming, its about 70mm wide, fitted to a slider with a Smallrig arm or fitted onto my Slypod I can slowly (or quickly) move it through a 80mm gap in tree branches, mushrooms on the ground, retail type products or anything i might be filming and get the type of shot thats impossible trying to film handheld. It also works well if you film on your own and want to get smooth camera movement while you feature in the clip as well.

Sliders are great for very precise camera moves for filming or hyper lapse. I’m using kit from Syrp in New Zealand and have a few, the longest track is 1.6m.

Back