Any thoughts Nikon D500

Name
Terry
Edit My Images
Yes
Been looking at this camera seems quite good
looking to take wildlife sports, anyone have one that can share there thoughts on it
also been thinking of Canon 7d mk II

I have the D500 and the Olympus Em1ii. The intention was to replace the Nikon with the smaller Olympus however, after six months use I can say that the D500 is far superior for wildlife/birds. I use the Olympus for everything else.
You wont regret getting the D500.

Sounds like you are not tied into any system if you are considering both canon and Nikon. What lenses are you thinking of pairing it with? Do you have a budget for lenses too? Depending on the budget a used D7200 with more money spent on better lenses could be a better choice, it really depends on the what budget is available.

I have a D500 that I bought specifically for wildlife. I used it in overcast conditions for birds in flight with a Nikon 70-300VR and got very good results and it's amazing with my 400mm f2.8 VR.

It is the best overall crop sensor camera available atm. If you don't need the fps or the best AF, then there are other cheaper options, if you do, then it is the camera to have.

I was a month or two away from buying the 7DII when the D500 was announced. From the camera I had, a D300S, the 7DII would have been a very good improvement, but it doesn't get close to the D500 imho. I would have been very sick if I had got the 7DII after waiting so long for Nikon to replace the D300S, only for Nikon to bring out the D500. :confused: It was announced just in time for me. :D

The 7DII is a lot cheaper though, and money saved could be spent on lenses. :thinking: I can't see Nikon replacing the D500 anytime soon, seeing as it took so long to replace the previous model, so if you bought it it would be a long term investment. The D500 is hard to improve on with current tech. The best AF and highest FPS, and build up the lenses, or very good AF, and not as many FPS, but possibly being able to buy better lenses sooner. :thinking: Decisions decisions.

Back