Any wedding videographers on here?

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I have been giving serious consideration to wedding videography in the future. I'm currently a wedding photographer and have worked with many videographers and when, out of curiosity, I look at their work the vast majority seem dated. Old titles, slow zooms in and out to the alter, panning shots, fade outs etc. I much prefer the american, cinematic look to wedding videography and feel it's something I may be able to achieve.

I was wondering if there is anyone has moved from photography to videography or offers both?

Iain

I've considered some hybrid stuff, but shooting video well gets really expensive really quickly.

I shot an interview a few months ago. 2 hrs prep, 2 hrs shooting and about 2 days in post for a 3 minute video. I know it'd get quicker with practice, but jeeez!!

a friend of mine's brother shot a video for his wedding with canon kit
used a C300 with some l-glass primes. amazing kit for the size, so your lenses could double up. haven't seen the final results and it was all pretty low light. hope to see it one day as I'm really interested in what he did.

To be honest I'm amazed at the quality of the video from my 5d3 - I had a play with Canon's SLR type camcorder (think it was the C300/600) and it was nice but I don't really know the difference between the two other than the camcorder model had an awesome feature where by you could see what was in focus as it had trailing ants around the image - anyone know the difference and whether it would be worth the fdifference in the future?

It would be my wife doing the videography while I did the photography, she has a knack for it. Thinking of offering a few couples the opportunity to have it done for free at weddings I'm already photographing with the understanding that we're trialling something new win/win.

I also love in the American style vids they can often only be 30/40 mins long as they overlay footage from the prep with the vows from the ceremony and the same with the evening receptio with audio from the speeches. Much better than a 3 hour vid imo.

Figure to start out (assuming I use the 5d3) I need:

A better tripod
A slider for on top of the tripod to give the sexy sliding shot
A mic for on top of the camera
Wireless mic's for the ceremony/speeches
A lot of cards
Which software? Photographer head says stick with Adobe so Premiere?

Anything else? Any help greatly appreciated :)

Personally I highly rate the short format videos that people are doing now and Simeon Quarrie (vivida) is one of the best at it in my opinion. He tends to use 5d 3's mostly.

You can see an example here:

https://vimeo.com/69952928

And here's a good behind the scenes video showing him doing a same day edit (shoot the ceremony and create an edited film to play at the reception that evening):

http://vimeo.com/42540161

To be honest I'm amazed at the quality of the video from my 5d3 - I had a play with Canon's SLR type camcorder (think it was the C300/600) and it was nice but I don't really know the difference between the two other than the camcorder model had an awesome feature where by you could see what was in focus as it had trailing ants around the image - anyone know the difference and whether it would be worth the fdifference in the future?

It would be my wife doing the videography while I did the photography, she has a knack for it. Thinking of offering a few couples the opportunity to have it done for free at weddings I'm already photographing with the understanding that we're trialling something new win/win.

I also love in the American style vids they can often only be 30/40 mins long as they overlay footage from the prep with the vows from the ceremony and the same with the evening receptio with audio from the speeches. Much better than a 3 hour vid imo.

Figure to start out (assuming I use the 5d3) I need:

A better tripod
A slider for on top of the tripod to give the sexy sliding shot
A mic for on top of the camera
Wireless mic's for the ceremony/speeches
A lot of cards
Which software? Photographer head says stick with Adobe so Premiere?

Anything else? Any help greatly appreciated :)

whether you use a tripod or monopod, you will need a fluid head to get smooth movements - photography heads dont usually offer that. I'd also say a video monopod is way more useful than a tripod as most of the time you will be on the move.

finally, to get good shots whilst in motion some kind of rig is required. you could go for something like a shoulder rig or check out something like the edelkrone rig, personally think steadicam pilot will give the most professional results but there is a learning curve to them (and a price!).

btw, a well known wedding cinematographer (Pete James - Engage Cinema) is starting a new completely free cinematography academy sharing tips and ideas for all. worth checking it out.

http://www.weddingcinemaacademy.com/

Iain one of the big issues in creating the sort of feel you are after is the number of cameras and gear used - stating the obvious i know but a single camera shoot against multi camera shoot will give night and day difference to coverage, angles and end product.

I film using Canon 5D MK3's and the magic on wedding day for me is created by supplementary use of JIB Crane, Sliders and DSLR Follow Focus rigs etc.....but it can be quite expensive once you get going.

I've considered some hybrid stuff, but shooting video well gets really expensive really quickly.

I shot an interview a few months ago. 2 hrs prep, 2 hrs shooting and about 2 days in post for a 3 minute video. I know it'd get quicker with practice, but jeeez!!

Phil, I agree about your thoughts on editing.......sat in front of my machine at moment trying to orgainse nearly 600 GB data (yes 600GB!) for multi camera asian wedding.........it does get with quicker with practice.....in fact it is quite enjoyable if you know the wedding has been shot well and knowing you are creating a unique end product......

I realise I wouldn't be able to do more than one camera angle (or two if we book for a videography only slot) but it's more of the motion of the camera I like.

I think I'd only need one camera in the morning for prep (bride only), then one for the groom's arrival/brides arrival, ideally 2 for the ceremony to flick back and forth for the vows etc, 1 for formals (2 would be nice), 2 for speeches for speaker and reactions.

Thinking of sourcing out a local photographer that wouldn't mind me tagging along with them to see if the wife and I could do it.

Do places rent the mics, sliders, tripod/monopods like borrowlenses, lens pimp etc..?

Iain one of the big issues in creating the sort of feel you are after is the number of cameras and gear used - stating the obvious i know but a single camera shoot against multi camera shoot will give night and day difference to coverage, angles and end product.

I film using Canon 5D MK3's and the magic on wedding day for me is created by supplementary use of JIB Crane, Sliders and DSLR Follow Focus rigs etc.....but it can be quite expensive once you get going.

Yes for the morning preps usually only one camera is good with use of sliders etc.....and multicam really does come into on its own during ceremony and reception.

As a starting point probably worth investing a DSLR slider and a monopod - dont go for the cheap stuff - Glidetrack are top notch and fluid movement it creates gives the film a great feel but be careful not to overdo it.

Definitely worth getting some hands on experience shooting wedding film - I think if you have a photograhers eye you are halfway there in seeing the shots. I also think it is important to get the basics nailed on before attempting to get too creative.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are plenty of places that rent gear but costs can mount up and if you can build up your own kit bag gradually probably much better.

My favourite lens for shooting is 16-35 L MK2 but also use 20mm 2.8 prime, 70-200 2.8L, 50mm 1.4 and 24-105 L F4.

That focus feature sounds like what Sony call focus peaking. It outlines the in-focus parts with a colour halo (red, yellow or white). All Sony SLTs have it.

I'm developing this as an option and so far the response from customers seems to be positive but then i am offering it at a reduced rate to reflect the fact it's not a polished product.

I agree that if we were to do this 'properly' then we'd need to seriously invest in kit. And I particularly miss my Sony because of the Focus peaking option.

And if I am honest I don't 'get' the same feeling from video. When I nail a photo then I get that excitement, satisfaction. With video I simply don't get it. Luckily my mate who is acting as the videographer does seem to have a much better eye for it than me.

Personally i think it's the way forward to differentiate yourself from a very crowded market. And it's good for ourselves and the customer to only have to deal with one company. A wedding we were videoing yesterday had hired a different tog. She seemed to be almost purposely getting in our way. One company means you can coordinate this better.

...... And it's good for ourselves and the customer to only have to deal with one company. A wedding we were videoing yesterday had hired a different tog. She seemed to be almost purposely getting in our way. One company means you can coordinate this better.

well said, agree absolutely but if you thought the TOG was 'purposely' getting in the way (your words not mine) you should have had a word. I do not think any descent tog would do it purposely but it is just a lack of appreciation of the differences in getting decent solid footage for film and the money shots from a photography perspective.

......try filming where both bride and groom have hired different photographers and you are the exclusive filming firm!...frustration or what but at end of day we are all trying to get best footage we can so communication is key

Nope I find the more your professional and good at your job and you have a quiet word! It makes things worse they then do it on purpose two weeks on the run I had the same photog the first time I did not prep him? He was always glued to the bride but not bad during the day apart from the isle shot blatantly came across me, so i put it in the DVD! The bride went mad and gave him a right telling of as I had planned not to get in the way of the most important shot. The second week I had planned more and he was worse, I pled him to one side and said listen this bride has paid a lot of money and your being a pain I will put every shot of you in the way on the DVD and let her deal with you but I will prep her I could not get you out of the footage. After that he was A1.
Regards to equipment Konica slider great, I have three 60ds good glass and two hfg10s excellent. Dslr prep, dslr arrivals and groom, ceremony camcorder with dslr b roll, mingling dslr, speeches same as ceremony, dance glide dslr and camcorder. Steve

www.captureyourmomentsweddingvideo.com

Had to laugh at the above. I just had to delete nearly 200 shots (stills) where the bloody videographer stepped in front of me at last Saturdays wedding.

Yes I understand John!! I take my craft serious and maybe not yourself but some photogs will not let the bride and groom relax! Don't drink yet, come over here, got to get this done ect ect ect.
Done 17 video jobs this year and worked with one young lad who was top draw, we ducked out of each others way all day out of respect. End of the night he said I was the best vidog he has worked with and I said like wise. Then a week later I worked with a t.......t photog where we ended up nearly fighting because I use dslrs and he did not like it... Maybe you respect vidogs ? Most don't and that's why vidogs retaliate to rude ignorant photogs. Proper photogs have respect! I have worked with a handful of top lads and worked with mountains of rubbish!!

Yes I understand John!! I take my craft serious and maybe not yourself but some photogs will not let the bride and groom relax! Don't drink yet, come over here, got to get this done ect ect ect.
Done 17 video jobs this year and worked with one young lad who was top draw, we ducked out of each others way all day out of respect. End of the night he said I was the best vidog he has worked with and I said like wise. Then a week later I worked with a t.......t photog where we ended up nearly fighting because I use dslrs and he did not like it... Maybe you respect vidogs ? Most don't and that's why vidogs retaliate to rude ignorant photogs. Proper photogs have respect! I have worked with a handful of top lads and worked with mountains of rubbish!!

so true and could not have put it better myself.....its about mutual respect and working together and not ruin footage for B&G

I have come across some togs who expect the tripod based camera to be moved around at their whim when it is just a case of working around each other and being mindful of each others needs - much easier on a multicamera shoot but can be fatal on a single camera shoot

Please don't turn this into a photographer vs videographer argument, we both step in the way of each others shots sometimes. Done.

Back on topic I think I do have an eye for what makes a good video shot, as for the lenses I run on:
24-105 f/4
50 f/1.2
85 f/1.8
70-200 f/2.8

I'd look to add an 85 f/1.2 to this

You may want to consider 16-35 F2.8 for wide shots and slider very effective or failing that possibly the 17-40 F4

Hi all,

I have been giving serious consideration to wedding videography in the future. I'm currently a wedding photographer and have worked with many videographers and when, out of curiosity, I look at their work the vast majority seem dated. Old titles, slow zooms in and out to the alter, panning shots, fade outs etc. I much prefer the american, cinematic look to wedding videography and feel it's something I may be able to achieve.

I was wondering if there is anyone has moved from photography to videography or offers both?

Iain

Going back to your original question, my firm offers both photography and video. I had a potential new client in three weeks ago adamant that they wanted photography only and no film. After watching samples and actual DVD's they decided to go for filming as well in the package so, as a business proposition, it can work but the dynamics change (let alone investment in gear) when offering both rather than one or the other.

Lens on my 60ds, 17-55,2.8 canon 50-150 2.8 sigma, 50mm1.4 saves my bacon low light!! Sigma 30mm1.4 brilliant for video, colour rendition brill. Monopod essential, tripod essential, don't need shoulder rig just monopods.
Glidecam hd 4000, Konica slider or glide track video lights just in case the DJ prat turns lights completely of. Zacuto viewfinder for your magnification. Camcorder to get what the dslr cannot get!!

Going back to your original question, my firm offers both photography and video. I had a potential new client in three weeks ago adamant that they wanted photography only and no film. After watching samples and actual DVD's they decided to go for filming as well in the package so, as a business proposition, it can work but the dynamics change (let alone investment in gear) when offering both rather than one or the other.

How do you work it? How many photographers/videographers? Do you take a booking if it's just for videography rather than photography?

Lens on my 60ds, 17-55,2.8 canon 50-150 2.8 sigma, 50mm1.4 saves my bacon low light!! Sigma 30mm1.4 brilliant for video, colour rendition brill. Monopod essential, tripod essential, don't need shoulder rig just monopods.
Glidecam hd 4000, Konica slider or glide track video lights just in case the DJ prat turns lights completely of. Zacuto viewfinder for your magnification. Camcorder to get what the dslr cannot get!!

Have either of you got any examples of your work?

How do you work it? How many photographers/videographers? Do you take a booking if it's just for videography rather than photography?

Have either of you got any examples of your work?

I cover mainly Asian weddings and happy for you browse my Vimeo links if you wish - with Asian weddings it is not just about the wedding day but also commitments on days prior to the wedding and sometimes after the wedding. Also the bride and groom will do preps and family ceremonial stuff at home which can be in different towns before converging on the temple and then the reception venue. If we have exclusive filming and photography rights we will typically have 2 photographers and 3 filming staff and additional jib crane person if the clients wants it.

Logistically it can be a nightmare - different venues, early starts and late finishes but a great experience as every wedding is different.

Yes, we also do filming only shoots and photography only - down to what client wants really

https://vimeo.com/63877726

Last edited by a moderator:
So much better than I've seen over here - this is what I am looking to replicate

Thanks Iain - serious proposition for you if it helps you get a handle on your prospective business idea - why not join us on a shoot to get a feel of how it works and join in the fun - we shoot photography using Nikon D4s but film exclusively on Canon 5D Mk3s and mk2s as well as XDCAM - happy to talk to you if you want to pm me.

As an established photographer I think you will make the transition fairly easily from a shooting perspective but the headache will be in assessing and then delivering what client is expecting and if that involves anything other than single camera footage then clearly you cannot do it on your own. more and more clients are asking for cinematography style rather than the traditional 'one man and his shoulder camera' footage. We are fortunate to have a network of really good freelancers working with us on a regular basis but above all I trust them to get the basics right and shoot well - nOtlhing worse than having to edit badly shot footage.

Noticed the video you linked to is a 'highlights' video lasting about 5 mins, how long is the full video you give to the couple?

Depends on what clients wants - I always do a short 3-5m highlights reel, then it could be a 45m short edit or extended coverage say no more than 4 hours (2 DVDs) but you must appreciate that will usually happen over a 12 hour shooting window in an Asian wedding covering he wedding ceremony and reception etc. in non Asian weddings I have never done more than a 1 hour DVD.

Noticed the video you linked to is a 'highlights' video lasting about 5 mins, how long is the full video you give to the couple?

Sorry forgot to add that the link you saw was a NDE (next day edit) for playback at a second wedding reception the day after the main wedding event!!

Sorry for late reply! I started 7 years ago doing medium to long form films with 3 minute edit trailer separate! Then started short form and some clients particularly the mothers where wanting more!!! Mothers!!! So I reverted back to 45 minute medium firm but the story more like short form! My way! So many clients want a lot more for there money particularly liverpool. Touch wood no complaints in 7 years and fully booked this year and next at the 995 to 1795 price range! Having said all that and take this how you want to? I am seriously thinking going all camcorder again? Dslr is triple the work and many times you are not ready fir the shot, the entrance ceremony and grand entrance cannot be done unless you have an expensive focus pull. Lots of times you will miss shots concentrating on framing exposure focus shake ect ect. A good camcorder takes care of all that. Steve
www.captureyourmomentsweddingvideo.com
Sames and links on site
Cheers

Thanks Iain - serious proposition for you if it helps you get a handle on your prospective business idea - why not join us on a shoot to get a feel of how it works and join in the fun - we shoot photography using Nikon D4s but film exclusively on Canon 5D Mk3s and mk2s as well as XDCAM - happy to talk to you if you want to pm me.

Would love to, PM on it's way...

I am seriously thinking going all camcorder again? Dslr is triple the work and many times you are not ready fir the shot,

How would you say it is triple the work, you say about framing the shot and push/pull - is this not the same on the camcorders? What extra does a camcorder give you? Do the likes of the Canon C300 offer similar things to a camcorder?

Back