Anybody else getting bothered by phone calls from supposedly Talk Talk

jbw

Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I have been getting about six phone calls a day from India saying they are from Talk Talk and can they help me rid my PC of a virus.
I know this is a scam but wonder is anybody else getting these?
James

nope not here james ,is this via land line or mobile .and as you so rightly say its a scam

Calls like these are why I no longer have a landline phone. Even the TPS wasn't weeding them out.

I know hanging up is easy, but they're such a pain!

I don't give out my mobile to anyone who doesn't need it, and get practically zero "dodgy" calls.

I used to get loads but they've mostly disappeared now.
They usually pretend to be from Microsoft. I once strung one along to see what their pitch is - they get you to delve in the Windows error log and then tell you that each one is a sign of a virus. I hung up at this point as I was bored.

Calls like these are why I no longer have a landline phone. Even the TPS wasn't weeding them out.

I know hanging up is easy, but they're such a pain!

I don't give out my mobile to anyone who doesn't need it, and get practically zero "dodgy" calls.

What is practically zero? Either it's zero or it isn't.

If the caller is from India, I call them a liar whereupon they hang up. TPS cannot do anything about phone calls originating in other countries.

If the caller is from India, I call them a liar whereupon they hang up. TPS cannot do anything about phone calls originating in other countries.
Similar I string them along for a while - I've found the longer you're on, the more abuse you can get in before they hang up. If you start to abuse them straight away, they hang up instantly.

What is practically zero? Either it's zero or it isn't.

Bored? :rolleyes:

Practically also means almost, nearly, very nearly.
It's not like "very unique", or " a bit pregnant".

Last edited:
I have to add I'm not going to allow them but the number of cals is very annoying. It concerns me that somebody less aware ( vulnerable senior citizen?) could be duped by these criminals.

Not from them but I had one from a company telling me I'd had a car accident recently and they could help me, I politely replied asking exactly when and where the accident occurred, they started giving me some spiel confirming I'd had an accident upon which I loudly exclaimed "hallelujah, its a miracle"
She asked why I exclaimed that and I replied, well I've been completely bed bound for the last 7 years with serious disabilities. She hung up... how rude. ;)

It often happens to me and my wife. Yeah, some senior citizens might easily fall victim to these scams. It's one of our responsibilities to tell others about this scam.

Yeah, got one yesterday, hung up and they called me back asked me to fire up "Event Viewer" I got suspicious and hung up.

I then called TalkTalk who confirmed no one from TT had called me and would investigate.

I have to add I'm not going to allow them but the number of cals is very annoying. It concerns me that somebody less aware ( vulnerable senior citizen?) could be duped by these criminals.
It worries me too...
Yeah, got one yesterday, hung up and they called me back asked me to fire up "Event Viewer" I got suspicious and hung up.

I then called TalkTalk who confirmed no one from TT had called me and would investigate.
Serious question: Why would you take it this seriously?
It worries me that everyone's default position on cold calls isn't 'It must be a con' :mad:.
Please take this in the manner it's intended - the world isn't full of call centres who's purpose in life is to help you :angelic:. Their motive is only to make money for them:cautious:. If you BB provider, bank, insurance co etc need your attention, it's worth the price of a stamp.

I really can't see why people get worked up about this. Just block the number. Job done.

I really can't see why people get worked up about this. Just block the number. Job done.

Yes, you're right. I personally always look at the number when there's someone calling me, and see if I know the number or not. If I don't familiar with them, I try to check the number on Google, some sites like http://whitepages.com, or http://whycall.me. If I find many reports filed under that number, I can just block them, even without answering the call.

Not from them but I had one from a company telling me I'd had a car accident recently and they could help me, I politely replied asking exactly when and where the accident occurred, they started giving me some spiel confirming I'd had an accident upon which I loudly exclaimed "hallelujah, its a miracle"
She asked why I exclaimed that and I replied, well I've been completely bed bound for the last 7 years with serious disabilities. She hung up... how rude. ;)
A friend posted this on Facebook yesterday, I thought it amusing.

I've just had a right telling off. The heavily accented man who rang me to tell me that his records showed I had been involved in a non blameworthy accident and could claim compensation shouted at me when I told him that I had been killed in the accident and therefore couldn't make a claim. He told me to stop wasting his time.

I keep meaning to get one of those air horn jobbies to give them a good parp, I used to have an Acme thunderer that was quite shrill, a quick blast of that would have given them a jolt.

I just choose to test my CO2 alarm which is in the kitchen whilst they're on the phone:D

Most of them don't have numbers to block,just "unavailable", or "withheld"

I never get calls from withheld numbers. All the marketing calls I receive have a visible number, as they have to by law.

Last edited:
I never get calls from withheld numbers. All the marketing calls I receive have a visible number, as they have to by law.
Only have to by English law. Indian companies only have to comply with Indian law, not English.

Only have to by English law. Indian companies only have to comply with Indian law, not English.

Really? According to an article in the Telegraph about the law "The crackdown aims to end anonymous phone calls from British companies which have call centres based in the UK and overseas."

Still, maybe you have some inside information not available to the Telegraph.

If the British company outsources its cold calling to the sub-continent, it's the sub-continental rules that apply. If the British company has its own call centre over there, they shouldn't be anonymous.

If the British company outsources its cold calling to the sub-continent, it's the sub-continental rules that apply. If the British company has its own call centre over there, they shouldn't be anonymous.

That will change in may.

I've got one of those BT call minder phones, only people that get through are those in the address book, everyone else has
to say who they are and gets filtered, nuisance calls rarely do say anything so I don't even know they have called.
Very quiet here :)
Mobile phone doesn't get answered if I don't recognise the number and if I do and it a sales thing
I just put it down and let them talk to themselves until the realise ;)

Really? According to an article in the Telegraph about the law "The crackdown aims to end anonymous phone calls from British companies which have call centres based in the UK and overseas."

Still, maybe you have some inside information not available to the Telegraph.
What makes you think they are British companies? The people who are trying to make us think we have viruses on our computers are not necessarily companies, never mind British.

How can you block a number if you don't know what it is?

He said blocked calls not blocked numbers.
There are phones that block all calls unless its from a previously entered permitted number, but logs all attempted incoming calls.

Anonymous call reject keeps away most of them. Had it for years. Don't get any calls. It blocks any withheld numbers that try and call.

Had one of these fake Microsoft calls years ago. Easier to tell them you have Linux or a Mac or don't have a computer or don't have a phone ;) Latter confuses them completely.

How can you block a number if you don't know what it is?

There are phones that block all calls unless its from a previously entered permitted number, but logs all attempted incoming calls.

^^
This.

Since getting one of these; http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/mobile-phones/bt-bt8500-review-the-best-call-blocker-yet we simply don't get juk calls anymore, but it logs all attempts. :cool:

In the beginning I was checking it daily because it was so quiet, I wondered if the phone was actually working! :LOL:

Back