Anyone been on tamiflu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know one of my dads colleagues was floored when she took it, and it takes a lot to floor her. sickness, head spinning etc were the general symptoms she had, and she was given it as a precaution as she is a nurse!

I'm just curious, have you been given it. if so, where abouts in Northants are you, just so I can stay clear. I've got a holiday coming up and thats the last thing i need before it :LOL:

Side effects: The most frequent side effects are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bronchitis,
abdominal pain, headache and dizziness. Administering oseltamivir after meals helps reduce
nausea.

Makes you wonder if its worth taking it! Hope you are feeling better soon Joe.

a mate of mine took it and he said the doc said it basically just cuts the length of the illness by about a day and is pretty much a waste of time.

pretty much - but it also lessens the severity of the illness as well. They don't call it tummyflu for nothing though........

you cant help wondering if the drug companies just needed a drug to cash in on the whole swine flu thing.

The whole swine flu thing is media driven IMHO just the same as the Y2K bug was. The news media love a disaster and I believe it's being hugely over played in UK.

Of course the medics say we need a vaccine as the doctor will get paid £5 for each person he gives it too.

a mate of mine took it and he said the doc said it basically just cuts the length of the illness by about a day and is pretty much a waste of time.

spot on a waste of time i would rather be poorly for one extra day than take something that has not been extensively [bad spelling] tested.

Any chance we could get back on topic please? This thread is not about politics or conspiracy theories.

I just wanted to know what people had experienced as the side effects of tamiflu.

For reference, I've been on it for 24 hours now, and despite feeling a little queasy I've not come close to vomiting yet!

Fingers crossed as I take my third capsule! :LOL:

you cant help wondering if the drug companies just needed a drug to cash in on the whole swine flu thing.

OK - before I post this I'm going to say I work part time for a big drug company very local to you, they don't make tamiflu though

I struggle to agree with this point. Those anti-flu drugs have been around for a while, and while normal seasonal flu will lay you out for a few days - assuming you're in OK physical shape, if you're old and vunerable it can and does kill. I can't remember exact numbers, but it does kill large (think 000s) in a bad year. My grandfather died from normal flu. The need for a flu drug is there sadly.

I do agree swine flu is overblown though

spot on a waste of time i would rather be poorly for one extra day than take something that has not been extensively [bad spelling] tested.

yet another well informed opinion there Jo :wacky: perhaps you could support that statement with a reference?. Tamiflu is not a new drug

Although it shortens only by a day, it also lessens symptoms quite a long way during the remaining days which is as important.

Hugh

OK - before I post this I'm going to say I work part time for a big drug company very local to you, they don't make tamiflu though

I struggle to agree with this point. Those anti-flu drugs have been around for a while, and while normal seasonal flu will lay you out for a few days - assuming you're in OK physical shape, if you're old and vunerable it can and does kill. I can't remember exact numbers, but it does kill large (think 000s) in a bad year. My grandfather died from normal flu. The need for a flu drug is there sadly.

I do agree swine flu is overblown though

yet another well informed opinion there Jo :wacky: perhaps you could support that statement with a reference?. Tamiflu is not a new drug

Although it shortens only by a day, it also lessens symptoms quite a long way during the remaining days which is as important.

Hugh

Right back at you can you give me a ref to say its safe and long been tested.

I still would not take something to lessen an illness by a day.....a complete waste of money.......

I still would not take something to lessen an illness by a day.....a complete waste of money.......

sorry i assumed we were talking about the various drugs companies have started pushing out in light of the whole 'swine flu' thing

Tamiflu sounds to me like a waste of time and money

but i suppose the powers that be had alot of money to get rid of after that whole 'recession' scam thing...

sorry Joe missed your previous post (please dont hit me with that bat mister :( )

I havent used tamiflu

<leaves thread>

here you go Jo, refers to when it was first marketed - way back 10 years ago in 1999. I know wikis not the best reference in the world, but it'll do for a start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oseltamivir

now can I have your reference please?

If you're young and healthy maybe it only lessens by a day, but if you're old, infirm or vunerable, then that day and the lessening of symptoms can save your life. Flu kills alot of vunerable people each winter so its not really a waste of money for them, or is it?

The goverments reaction to swine flu is a different matter

Hugh.

eta - Just to add for those conspiracy theorists out there (sorry Joe) this study http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/163/2/181 estimates that seasonal Flu kills just over 41,000 people a year in the US. Although its not a newsworth disease, many of the drugs and vaccines that are out there now were developed because of this, not to be seen to be doing something about a newsworthy disease

Last edited:
how come 41,000 people die when we have the 'flu jab'?

going way off topic here sorry.

I am young ang heathly and was referring to myself, if someone else wants to take thats is their choice. i can only comment on myself.

I have no reference except what I read in medical journals and could not pin point any at present.
oh and my doctor is not keen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back