Anyone been to Croatia?

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
We've just started looking at a holiday for next year and quite fancy Croatia. Can anyone recommend any regions/areas and hotels or apartments? Also, is there anything we should be aware of, either good or bad?

Thanks!

I've been to plitvice lakes and waterfalls, a fantastic place for photography or just sightseeing.
I believe the coasts are glorious too.
Beer is very cheap ;)

Yup, went to Porec about 25 years ago just as democracy was taking off, beautiful place, that area had no natural beaches but they were making man made ones very quickly and you couldnt tell the difference

Got a couple of Croatian/Italian mates (due to the border changes) stayed with them in 2010 around Pula. Amazing place, lots of history and crazy coastline/water. The islands further down the coast (name escapes me at the moment) look insane, and are definitely on the list for when we go back.

Dubrovnik is the tourist trap. Apparently it's about 80% Australian if the media here is anything to go by. Supposedly some good history and architecture to be seen, but sounds like you'd be competing with the drunken masses most days.

I had a great holiday in the resort of Cavtat, which is approximately 7 miles south of Dubrovnik. It was a perfect holiday destination with clean facilities and a very friendly, laid back atmosphere. The sea is a crystal clear green and we had a great time snorkelling. Dubrovnik is well worth visiting but does suffer from a daily influx of cruise ship tourists being herded around the old town, but we were content to stay in our little town.

Overall I would thoroughly recommend a visit, sooner as Croatia has just joined the EU and will become more 'westernised' and expensive.

Thanks all, there is nothing like real life experiences!

Back