Anyone been to Northern Ireland?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at going on a trip to Northern Ireland and I'd like to visit beachy places such as Giant's Causeway and Whitepark Bay.

I'm wondering if anybody has been on a trip there, for photography purposes or otherwise? If so I wondered if you could recommend other places to visit, places to stay, and things to do! Also what time of year is best?

Thanks in advance

Oops just realised this should be in the 'locations' forum - does anybody know how I can move it? Thank you :)

i go every july to belfast for the orange order parades what a spectacle celebrating a bit of british history which has made this country the way it is
brilliant music and the hospitality is the best in the word.
also been up to port rush for the north west 200 bike racing another great photo opportunity not to be missed
done the giants causeway and the rope bridge as well
remember to try the guinness its great too
enjoy

1969, when I was 14. Not a lot of help, I know, but it was quite nice. We stayed at a farmhouse just outside Lifford. Two weeks after we left the troubles kicked off big style.
I do remember Bundoran (sp?) Bay being very picturesque.

And a true story...when my dad was driving along a country road over there, we passed a line of cars all parked at the road side. We stopped and asked a policeman on the scene what was going on. He pointed up into the sky. A triangular shape was hovering a few hundred feet up. I actually got a photograph of it. After a couple of minutes it shot straight up into the sky and vanished.
Shortly after this I discovered women and alcohol and managed to lose the picture. Shame.

Rathlin Island. Bally castle. Glen's of Antrim. The county Antrim Coàst Road ballintoy The Dark Hedge's

Newcastle and the Mourne mountains, Ards peninsula and Strangford Lough, a tour Of Belfast, photograph the Wall Murals. The Antrim Coast Road for some spectacular scenery.

If you are photographing the murals on the Falls Road be careful as some tourists have been attacked and cameras etc stolen....

I'm from Northern Ireland, anything else you want to know, drop me a pm.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at going on a trip to Northern Ireland and I'd like to visit beachy places such as Giant's Causeway and Whitepark Bay.

I'm wondering if anybody has been on a trip there, for photography purposes or otherwise? If so I wondered if you could recommend other places to visit, places to stay, and things to do! Also what time of year is best?

Thanks in advance

I have pretty much seen and been everywhere in our wee country.

In terms of photography must see and must shoot places for me if I was a visitor would be:

Giants Causeway (Don't pay for entry , it's a massive con and you are only paying for access to the visitors centre google Giants Causeway for free etc. to see how to visit for no cost)
The Dark Hedges
Ballintoy Harbour
Mussenden Temple
Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge (currently closed due to vandals)
Fermanagh Lakelands
Mountains of Mourne
Crom Estate
Castle Ward
Mount Stewart
Belfast Harbour, Titanic building etc.
Stormont
Carrickfergus Castle

If you want to shoot the murals etc. :rolleyes: ( I hate that people do this, our bitter history shouldn't be a tourist attraction, all of the original stuff is mostly gone now anyway most of what remains is new and put just there for the tourists) don't book on any of the tours just get a local taxi driver to take you around not the black cabs and it will work out loads cheaper and you will get to see much more.

Come on the 12th of July to see the parades in Belfast

Last edited:
I have pretty much seen and been everywhere in our wee country.

In terms of photography must see and must shoot places for me if I was a visitor would be:

Giants Causeway (Don't pay for entry , it's a massive con and you are only paying for access to the visitors centre google Giants Causeway for free etc. to see how to visit for no cost)
The Dark Hedges
Ballintoy Harbour
Mussenden Temple
Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge (currently closed due to vandals)
Fermanagh Lakelands
Mountains of Mourne
Crom Estate
Castle Ward
Mount Stewart
Belfast Harbour, Titanic building etc.
Stormont
Carrickfergus Castle

If you want to shoot the murals etc. :rolleyes: ( I hate that people do this, our bitter history shouldn't be a tourist attraction, all of the original stuff is mostly gone now anyway most of what remains is new and put just there for the tourists) don't book on any of the tours just get a local taxi driver to take you around not the black cabs and it will work out loads cheaper and you will get to see much more.

Come on the 12th of July to see the parades in Belfast
Carrick-a-rede was only closed for 1 day due to vandalism, we were over it the following weekend.

Thank you everyone for the fantastic suggestions and helpful links! Really looking forward to this trip!

I don't normally shoot landscapes, can anyone suggest which type of lenses I should be taking with me? I do portrait photography so I have a bunch of prime lenses, a 105mm macro, the 18-55mm which came with my first DSLR and a 55-200mm.

Also - if you're from N Ireland and have the time I'd really appreciate if you could take a look at some of the photos which inspired this trip. I know they were taken in Northern Ireland but I do not know the exact locations. Here is a link https://uk.pinterest.com/amywillsphotos/travel/

Thank you!

The 18mm to 200mm range should cover you for most things. Looking at the photos you attached, all the ones of the lighter coloured rocks are from the unsurprisingly named White Rocks Beach area 1 mile or so east of Portrush. The others could be anywhere right along the north coast though i think Fair Head and Torr Head feature in some. I have included a link to an album of mine on Flickr from this area taken over the last couple of years. Any questions, just shout
https://www.flickr.com/gp/philblair/90V781

The shots you put up from Pinterest could be anywhere on Antrim Coàst.
The ones on Phil-b post lists the site and you can Google it to get to it.
Depending on what you want Malin Head in Donegal is also a good spot.

I'll just point out there are still divisions in the Six Counties or what everyone refers to as Northern Ireland, Donegal is not part of that definition despite it having the most northern landmass in Ireland.

But yes, just be aware. Dont think it's all peaches and cream since the Good Friday agreement, theres still areas that have trouble! In particular the UVF have been linked to rising "ethnic cleansing" in the last couple of years :-(

But if it's landscape you are after you wont go wrong all along the coast from above Belfast all the way across and get yourself to Donegal in the Republic for fantastic mountains and beaches. There's a reason that Donegal was named Coolest Place of the Planet by National Geographic in 2017!

I'll just point out there are still divisions in the Six Counties or what everyone refers to as Northern Ireland, Donegal is not part of that definition despite it having the most northern landmass in Ireland.

But yes, just be aware. Dont think it's all peaches and cream since the Good Friday agreement, theres still areas that have trouble! In particular the UVF have been linked to rising "ethnic cleansing" in the last couple of years :-(

Donnie you make it sound like Baghdad or Beirut which it isn't... Thousands of tourists visit Northern Ireland each year without issue or concern and leave with a good impression of the place... You make it sound like a dangerous place to visit in your post...

Don't believe everything you read in the press...

As above , with what's going on at the minute in the press it's probably one of the safest places to be in the UK ! Unless you plan on coming to drug deal in the local council estate then I don't think you'll have any run ins with the UVF

Im certainly not making it sound like Beirut or Baghdad so no need to overreact to my post. I said that people should simply be aware. :cool: Im well aware that thousands visit each year with no issues.

Additionally I would state I am not basing any of my observations on the media or the press either.

But if it's landscape you are after you wont go wrong all along the coast from above Belfast all the way across and get yourself to Donegal in the Republic for fantastic mountains and beaches. There's a reason that Donegal was named Coolest Place of the Planet by National Geographic in 2017!

Wow incredible level of ignorance and talking nonsense!

Last edited by a moderator:
So what are you basing them on cos I'm from here as are others on this thread ?

Experience which I cannot discuss on a public forum as well as information following several investigations as well as witness accounts. Im from donegal by the way, and Ive not said anything untrue or outlandish so im pretty flabbergasted and disappointed by some of the reactions to my post.

I've edited out an insult, and a reply to it.
Please keep it civil, gents.

Experience which I cannot discuss on a public forum as well as information following several investigations as well as witness accounts. Im from donegal by the way, and Ive not said anything untrue or outlandish so im pretty flabbergasted and disappointed by some of the reactions to my post.

Honestly this really isn't the place for you to spout your version of events that happen in Northern Ireland. For example the i.r.a tried to shoot a guy that lives down the road from me a couple of weeks ago. I don't however feel the need to talk about it on a photography forum In a thread about some of the amazing locations our little country has to offer for photography. Take your twisted politics elsewhere please.

Honestly this really isn't the place for you to spout your version of events that happen in Northern Ireland. For example the i.r.a tried to shoot a guy that lives down the road from me a couple of weeks ago. I don't however feel the need to talk about it on a photography forum In a thread about some of the amazing locations our little country has to offer for photography. Take your twisted politics elsewhere please.

Look Tommy you really are showing yourself up, YOU are the one trying to turn this into some form of political issue and embellishing such by reporting a story of an attempted murder by the IRA

I mentioned a particular issue, i did not sensationalise nor did I imply it was widespread. I did not fearmonger which a few people seem to think and have overreacted frankly. Personally attacking me isn't a good look either and doesn't belong on the forum.

I'd appreciate you not being so aggressive against me too, Im not spouting and neither are my politics twisted. In fact none of my post was political in nature, it was an honest "be aware" post and nothing more.

Look Tommy you really are showing yourself up, YOU are the one trying to turn this into some form of political issue and embellishing such by reporting a story of an attempted murder by the IRA

I mentioned a particular issue, i did not sensationalise nor did I imply it was widespread. I did not fearmonger which a few people seem to think and have overreacted frankly. Personally attacking me isn't a good look either and doesn't belong on the forum.

I'd appreciate you not being so aggressive against me too, Im not spouting and neither are my politics twisted. In fact none of my post was political in nature, it was an honest "be aware" post and nothing more.

You did exactly everything you said you didn't do in you previous post. Will leave it there, disgusting!

Please come bring your camera and enjoy our scenery, take all normal care with your kit. We are no better or worse than anywhere else in the world and on slow news days we could be at the top. As we know parts of Britain were not the place to be lately the same applied to Dublin for a while.
You will find most people helpful and friendly and willing to help with directions etc, just be aware of where you are and act in the correct manner.
I am biased but try the South down area old castles, churches and of course the Mourne Mountains. Some lovely shots to be had on the Antrim Coast Road ( check Lonely Planet).
Enniskillen and Lough Neagh areas , if you have time the west coast has some very scenic areas this is Southern Ireland but who cares it is no different than driving from England into Scotland different currency but the same [emoji481] . Enjoy your time if you want more drop me a pm.

Just back from 3 days in Belfast, a great city, stunning architecture, like many european cities a mix of modern, renovated and decaying buildings, great galleries, very welcoming people, superb food and great value all round. I didn't leave the city and still didn't manage to do all the things I planned. There is a lot to do and see in NI!

Hope you did the City Hall tour and the old faithful hop on hop off bus trip.

Reactions: Jao
Hope you did the City Hall tour and the old faithful hop on hop off bus trip.

Did the City Hall, spectacular building, I didn't use the bus though, walked 11 miles around the city on day one and 12 miles on day two.

Back