Anyone else had a camera survive a mishap

Two mishaps to speak of..

First one was on the rocks at Dunstanburgh castle trying to flee a rising tide when I slipped. Tripod went lens first into a rock pool, smashed the front element of a 17-40L and hurt my leg.

Second one trashed the lens mount of my D750 when the Manfrotto RC2 clip failed. It had just been put down but the weight of a 14-24 ruined the mount.

Both repairs were around £200 and so didn't claim on insurance.

Last edited:
I was at Lossiemouth for a military exercise a couple of yea5s ago, with my newly serviced canon 6D on the strap round my neck, and hand holding a 1d mk4.
After shooting a burst of shots I felt movement to watch in slow motion the incorrectly fastened neck strap on the 6D slowly coming loose and releasing itself and the camera to the pull of gravity.

Watching the 6D fall was surreal, and it fell, turned lens down and impacted a concrete slab lens hood first, which bulged slightly, then shattered, taking the full shock impact and sparing the camera and lens to any damage apart from 2 light scratches in the body base.

I have used it ever since without a problem, and quickly replaced the lens hood and made sure I never made the strap fixing mistake again.

Cheers
Dave

Yep, dropped my 5D Mark 3 with 24 -105 attached on to a concrete road from waist height. It landed on the lens and bouncing on to the pentaprism. No hood. The filter smashed and distorted the brass ring - I tried all the grippers and none would shift the filter ring. In the end I used a Dremel to slice slots in the ring to weaken it and it pulled away. I did protect the lens glass.

Slight damage to the plastic that the filter screws in to but none on the lens glass and only light scratching to the camera body.

Lesson learnt was to make sure the Black Rapid clasp is fully fastenend and the covering clip in place

Back