Anyone else waiting on the Canon 7DII?

Name
Robin
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone else waiting for this Camera to be released?

It has been rumoured for the last 5 years and there were photos of a photographer at the World Cup who always had a camera covered up. Of course he may have just wanted to protect his camera in case it rained, but why let that get in the way of a good story.

Anyway Amazon in the good old USA has now listed the 7D as discontinued. Now is that Amazon have stopped selling it, or has someone inadvertently broken an NDA?????

p777747-2.jpg

I just can't see this camera not being announced at Photokina with it being released in Oct/Nov for the Christmas rush. I hope it is but the price will be too rich for me to start with.

I am hoping for the following:-

1) 18mp sensor - the rumours are 24mp, but 18 in the 1Dx helps to keep noise down and speed up. As the 70D is 20mp I can't see it being 18.
2) Very good ISO to 8k - the 7D fell apart after 3200 I believe.
3) 10fps against 8 at the moment and bringing it up to 1D4 speeds
4) Network port - but I really can't see that coming.
5) AF tracking as per the 5D3
6) Weatherproofing as per 5D3
7) Fold out tilt screen
8) Dedicated lock/protect button or re-assignable buttons
9) Price £1379 - same as the 6D
10) Anything else that I have forgotten about & I don't mean a direct print button either :exit:

So if you are waiting for or interested in this rumoured camera, what are realistically hoping for and what would you be using it for mainly (i.e. with a long lens, medium zoom, remote, etc etc).

Last edited:
Hahhaha short and sweet.

The price of under £1400 seems quite optimistic but if it releases at that i'll have one on its way to me for release day. I'm expecting it to be nearer £2000 though.

I'd say I'm pretty much hoping for a crop format 5d3. I wouldn't expect high ISO to be as good as the 5d but the higher fps will be nice.

I also can't see it being anywhere near £1400. I think that you are much nearer the mark at £1999.99....

Any point in creating a new 7D at all? Crop a ff image from a 5D instead, if the philosophy of a ff 1D works then why create a top end cropper when there are 2 very good ff cameras in the range already?

There is the market for those that can't afford a FF camera.

I can't see Canon offering an 8-10fps 5D3 at less than £2k.

From Canon's recent lens releases (10-22mm & 16-35 f4 IS) maybe their pricing is becoming more reasonable.

I have seen rumours of this for 2 years now would rally like to see it as rumoured announced in September it not holding my breath. Where does it fit now or are we on a new cycle of selling.sensors.

Who is going to spend 2k on a crop sensor 7D2 ? the original 7D was not that good and i would be surprised if it is much more than 1k when it comes out , that's where it needs to be aimed otherwise the 6d and 5d3 will just be more obvious choices.

Surely you get the best quality camera you can afford and the right focal lengths for the jobs you want it to do , not get a slightly worse camera that makes all your lenses longer ?

Someone help me out here am i missing the big picture , who is this new 7d2 going to be aimed at ?

Who is going to spend 2k on a crop sensor 7D2 ? the original 7D was not that good and i would be surprised if it is much more than 1k when it comes out , that's where it needs to be aimed otherwise the 6d and 5d3 will just be more obvious choices.

Surely you get the best quality camera you can afford and the right focal lengths for the jobs you want it to do , not get a slightly worse camera that makes all your lenses longer ?

Someone help me out here am i missing the big picture , who is this new 7d2 going to be aimed at ?
i think 7D2 will aim the sport photographyers who have been own the 1DX using it as a backup. it just like a small 1DX,and comes with 1.6X extender, it will save on telephoto lens

Thats fine i understand that possibility , however the original 7d had awful iso performance and fell way behind the 5d and 1ds at iso400 and above in low light situations, I am not a sports tog but guessing that some sports are going to need decent iso performance to get the fast shutter speeds they need so the new 7d2 sensor would have a big job on its hands for a small sensor.

Thats fine i understand that possibility , however the original 7d had awful iso performance and fell way behind the 5d and 1ds at iso400 and above in low light situations, I am not a sports tog but guessing that some sports are going to need decent iso performance to get the fast shutter speeds they need so the new 7d2 sensor would have a big job on its hands for a small sensor.
Maybe thats because its 5 year old tech

i think 7D2 will aim the sport photographyers who have been own the 1DX using it as a backup. it just like a small 1DX,and comes with 1.6X extender, it will save on telephoto lens
That's what the 5D3 is for if they are happy with a 1D

Matt, the 5D3 is £2300 at the moment. Problem is the 5fps.

If the 7D2 is 8-10fps and has good iso to 8k then it could be cracking IF priced correctly.

Of course it will be a daft price when it comes out, but will drop as any other electronic goods do.

I didn't realise that the 6D was £1379. I can see the 7D2 being somewhere between the 6D and 5D3 - but nearer to the 6D.

Last edited:
More reports on Canon Rumours today of there being a new big lens in the Canon line up also to go with the 7D2 and 100-400mm that will be released, Really interested to see what/if Nikon bring out a D400 to rival the 7D2...

As a backup I'd sooner have a low mileage 1D4. Really can't see where a new 7D will sit.
Matt

If you don't know about older cameras such as 1D4 or don't want such a big camera the 7D2 could be perfect.

Think of people who have young kids who want to photograph then in the park or at footie matches. They walk in to shop.

There won't be any low mileage 1D4s in there. What will be there is a camera with a fast frame rate with lots of pixles and other goodies.

I have 2 x 1D4s and a 70D as a remote. I want another remote or close up camera. My bag is heavy enough as it is. A 7D2 (with good high ISO and 8-10fps) would be perfect.

Interestingly Canonrumours are reporting the following.

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/08/a-rundown-of-eos-7d-mark-ii-information/

This is a small rundown of what we know and can publish about the EOS 7D Mark II (If that’s what it’s called).
  • Full metal body (EOS-1 build quality)
  • EOS-1 style top plate
  • New sensor technology (multi layer)
  • No Wifi built-in
  • Not touch screen, super durable LCD cover
  • 12fps shooting (or faster)
  • Dual Pixel AF
  • New AF system
If it has the above spec AND has good ISO to 8k it may be phenomonomonomonomanal :banana:

Of course it is still rumour and speculation.

I'm on the cusp of getting a 1Dx, but I might hold off for a touch longer!

So it's been announced and in Canon's own words

20.2 Megapixel CMOS (APS-C) sensor and ISO 100–16000 (expandable to H1: 25600, H2: 51200) for reduced noise at high ISOs and high performance Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors for outstanding image quality and processing speed.

£1599 for early adopters but no word on availability http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-canon-eos-7d-mark-ii-digital-slr-camera-body/p1560196

http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/09/official-canon-eos-7d-mark-ii/

So can they send me one to test one night when it's peeing down with rain at Barnsley :)

hmmm, I wonder how Wex's pre-order pricing works, because that is the same price as Sigma's new 150-600 OS (Sport version). Maybe a co-incidence but are these prices open to change once the order has been placed?

Anything can change but it won't as they are due in October and will be in short supply.

Hmm I read somewhere October but Canon here say November (at the bottom)

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content...=social&utm_source=BANNED&utm_campaign=buffer

I agree Jeremy. I think Canon have tracking sorted.

I'm impressed with the price and once the early adopters fee had dropped i think i'll almost certainly be buying one (depending on seeing some high iso stuff with it first though)

Very interesting video here from Scott Kelby.

Up to now everyone has said it will be great at high iso.

Skip through to about 14mins and he shows shots at ISO 16000 - 16k

They look great in the video and that is without any sharpening.

Now lets say we halve the figure to see what it is good at at football grounds under floodlights -then that would be pretty impressive.

Over on Fredmiranda forum they are saying they reckon it will be similar to a 1DIV.

But watch the video as it is quite entertaining.

Click on the images in the blog for the high res versions.

I saw the Scott Kelby video and downloaded the samples he put on his blog. It does look pretty good the 16000 ISO one was pretty impressive. I have one on pre-order so looking forward to getting my hands on that.

Can't wait for my pre order to arrive, thinking of even buying a second one to replace both my current 7Ds but I want to see it and use it first.

I have a 7D MK I. Do I want a 7D MK II? Hell yes! Do I need one right now? Not really. Personally I'm going to wait until the initial price comes down a bit after a few months.

Could this be the camera that finally puts an end to the RAW v JPEG controversy?

If pictures can now come out of the camera as good as that why would anyone bother with RAW in future?

I am definitely considering a change from my 1Ds MkII once the 7D MkII has had a year to mature (and any bugs sorted!)

Could this be the camera that finally puts an end to the RAW v JPEG controversy?

If pictures can now come out of the camera as good as that why would anyone bother with RAW in future?

I am definitely considering a change from my 1Ds MkII once the 7D MkII has had a year to mature (and any bugs sorted!)

Jpeg is limited to 8bit meaning that it has a maximum of 256 different shades of grey from black to white. Canon Raw is 14bit which can theoretically have 16384 shades of grey from black to white. If you had a large photograph and it was 8bit you would be able to see the differences between the different shades of grey, with 14bit source you wouldn't. Also my understanding of JPEG is that as part of the lossy compression the image is broken larger blocks as part of its compression. In a lossless raw image each pixel has its own data, in jpeg neighbouring pixels all share the same values in the same block, you loose a lot of detail. If you were to print your photographs very large and if it were compressed heavily with JPEG you would see blocking, if you did the same with RAW you wouldn't wouldn't get that. Here is an example of a heavily compressed jpeg vs raw to give you an idea:

example_between_jpeg_and_lossless_raw_by_kippa2001-d82lxed.jpg

Last edited:
Jpeg is limited to 8bit meaning that it has a maximum of 256 different shades of grey from black to white. Canon Raw is 14bit which can theoretically have 16384 shades of grey from black to white. If you had a large photograph and it was 8bit you would be able to see the differences between the different shades of grey, with 14bit source you wouldn't. Also my understanding of JPEG is that as part of the lossy compression the image is broken larger blocks as part of its compression. In a lossless raw image each pixel has its own data, in jpeg neighbouring pixels all share the same values in the same block, you loose a lot of detail. If you were to print your photographs very large and if it were compressed heavily with JPEG you would see blocking, if you did the same with RAW you wouldn't wouldn't get that. Here is an example of a heavily compressed jpeg vs raw to give you an idea:

Believe me I know all the arguments and I have used RAW in the past.

And the image you show is quite convincing except for the fact that to view such a huge picture you would have to stand so far back you would not even notice the difference ( as in billboards etc).

And the picture you show is not grey but in colour so you actually have 256 x 256 x 256 different shades of colour in JPEGs because you have 3 channels (RGB).

And of course all the images on the 'Net are usually JPEGs anyway so whatever they start out as the final images are all the same 8 bits per channel.

The point I was making was that the quality of the pictures from the forthcoming 7D MkII look so good that even out of the camera you simply can't tell whether they started out as RAW or JPEG.

And in fact the same can be said for many other cameras nowadays which have become so good that whatever differences may exist in theory, in practice such differences are becoming more and more meaningless.

I agree that the quality of jpegs coming out of cameras can be fantastic these days. If you take a shot from your camera and it is shot in jpeg and are happy with that specific output of that photograph 100% then that is fine. The only problem comes when you aren't 100% happy with the output and perhaps want to tweak it, having raw gives you more latitude to make changes whilst keeping the maximum detail/quality. If you never edit or alter your photographs at all then I see no problem in shooting in jpeg all the time.

I thought that there were only 3 Shades of Grey?

And I thought there were 50..

The RAW vs JPEG is irrelevant to most in the Sport section as we will shooting Jpegs most of the time (although I appreciate that RAW will be used by mainly on other occasions).

I think the 7DII will sell by the hundreds of thousands to all sorts of photographers and I can see it as second or third body for a lot of people.

Still a month and a half away until we now for sure about the ISO capabilities.

I have a 7D MK I. Do I want a 7D MK II? Hell yes! Do I need one right now? Not really. Personally I'm going to wait until the initial price comes down a bit after a few months.

You'll wait a lot longer than a few months, Michael.

Like you I have the 7D. It has been, and is, a brilliant servant to me on many a professional job - sports and otherwise - - I've personally no need for the MK II any time soon.

Back