Anyone else waiting on the Canon 7DII?

i would shoot myself before using RAW .... or use a mac.... or linux.. or wear a man utd top... dont compress the jpg and its perfect for sports work..

Only 8 sleeps before my pre-ordered 7D Mark II arrives on my doorstep from Park Cameras.

I'm upgrading from my much loved 70D and I don't think I'll be at all disappointed in what potential the 7D2 will offer me - A camera I can grow into and which will suit my Canon L telephoto lenses better. I am a 67yo wildlife amateur and life isn't a rehearsal so why wait?

Some of my 70D wildlife shots on Flickr........... https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/

Last edited:
Only 8 sleeps before my pre-ordered 7D Mark II arrives on my doorstep from Park Cameras.

I'm upgrading from my much loved 70D and I don't think I'll be at all disappointed in what potential the 7D2 will offer me - A camera I can grow into and which will suit my Canon L telephoto lenses better. I am a 67yo wildlife amateur and life isn't a rehearsal so why wait?

Some of my 70D wildlife shots on Flickr........... https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/

WOW Robin loads of really excellent shots there.

WOW Robin loads of really excellent shots there.

....Thankyou, Peter! @petersmart - I very much appreciate the encouragement :)

I think the new 7DII will help me nail more in-flight shots and also open up more low light possibilities. I have started reading the PDF Manual - It's over 500 pages and there's also a 50-page PDF just on the new autofocus system!

I may need a 'Canon 7D Mark II Guide for Dummies'! But fortunately what I have learnt from my 70D (my first DSLR) will stand me in good stead.

....Thankyou, Peter! @petersmart - I very much appreciate the encouragement :)

I think the new 7DII will help me nail more in-flight shots and also open up more low light possibilities. I have started reading the PDF Manual - It's over 500 pages and there's also a 50-page PDF just on the new autofocus system!

I may need a 'Canon 7D Mark II Guide for Dummies'! But fortunately what I have learnt from my 70D (my first DSLR) will stand me in good stead.

Well I must admit if it lives up to all the hype I will definitely be VERY interested in it!

Me to, can't wait. Seems light years away from my trusty mark 1!

....You will not be disappointed! I have never used the original 7D but the customisable autofocus system will blow you away I reckon.

In general terms, the numerous options you have to set so much while 'on the fly' and looking through the viewfinder is majorly enabling. Perhaps the 5D3 and 1DX already offer such options - I don't know those cameras either. I'm off out now to the beach to test it on seagulls etc.

I'm still opting to change my 5D3 for a 1DIV as soon as I can find someone to swap me. After owning a 7D for a year I couldn't go back to 1.6 crop.

Come on then, anyone wish to give a quick review from using one at a sports event? Looked in the 'Official 7D Mk 2 thread....' But let's hear from a sports photographer, what's the verdict? Should I buy one or keep saving for the 1DX?!

Picked one up today and will use it at the Southport v Dagenham FA Cup replay, a week on Tuesday, if I can't use it before then. The lights at Southport are about par for the course at this level so it'll be interesting to see how the 7DMk2 copes. I've not seen any real world images yet but fingers crossed...

Last edited:
If i have posted this one correctly it's from yesterdays Dorchester Town v Biggleswade game 7d mk2 70-200 F2.8

Look pretty good to me Phil.

I waited and waited for a Canon 7D MKII... but without having pre-ordered, seems nigh on impossible to get one...
So I went and bought another 1DX instead... just needed the extra body and couldn't wait.
Might see once they come more available and what people have thought of them on high ISO in real life situations (read : dark basketball venues)

Phil, how did the AF perform in low light, and was there any noise reduction done In PP.

Dave. i was hoping to do a reserves match tonight but it's been called off as they need flippers with the amount of water on the pitch. I was using the 100-400 on the 7d mk2 and it seemed to me to autofocus very quick.and no editing only resized it. As i was hoping to put the 70-200 F2.8 on the 7d mk2 tonight and give it a good work out now will have to wait till Saturday.
Another picture taken. 1/1000 sec, F5.6, +1/3 ex com ISO 6400 no editing done only re sized to 2048
1/1000 sec F5.6 +1/3 excom ISO 6400 Dorchester Town 0 v 1 Biggleswade SPL 8-11-2014-0922 by Phil Standfield, on Flickr
Stan

Last edited:
With a 100-400 lens that is not bad at all.

Was seriously considering selling my 1D MK IV and replacing with a 7D MK II ... I only use the MK IV behind the goal (with a 24-105mm) so the 7D MK II would be deployed with the same lens ... worried about the extra crop factor on the MK II with the 24mm lens ...but the MK II would actually get more than just football use as paired with the 400mm lens gives me 640mm while remaining at f/2.8 .. useful for most of the wildlife stuff I do in the UK (which is generally, small very far away, and running away even further) .... Just worried the extra crop will render the camera less useful behind the goal ... thoughts?

I used that Tokina 11-16 2.8 on my 7D when I had it. FOV is crazy big and a great lens. Still used it on my old 1DIII too with 13-16mm showing no dark corners. Anything less and it was pretty stand out.

There will always be buyers for a Mk4 as long as you price it correctly.

Stick it in the Canon sell forum - make sure to put the actuations as well.

Back