Anyone getting an iPad?

$829 = £570

£570 + 17.5% VAT = £669

That makes it £30 more in the UK by my basic calculations :confused:

Pete

You're forgetting US tax, which is around 10%.
So £570 becomes £620.
So in that respect £80 to have a UK model, and not have to pay a ton of shipping, isn't that bad.

well....

had one for a couple of hours now & it's my first Apple product

and I can say.....

I HATE iTunes

What a steaming pile of junk, quite probably the worst software I've ever had the misfortune to pay for :bang:

For me i have to say not a hope in hells chance am i getting 1. I see ZERO benefit of it over a laptop (windows or MAC). Its a novelty (and not even a new one) and nothing more.

I HATE iTunes

What a steaming pile of junk, quite probably the worst software I've ever had the misfortune to pay for :bang:

Likewise, except for the paying for???

well....

had one for a couple of hours now & it's my first Apple product

and I can say.....

I HATE iTunes

You paid for itunes?

wow they saw you coming. I downloaded mine for free :clap:

Got mine now, it was funny I got to the apple store here in Calgary at 7am there were already 100 people queuing, one guy had been there since 9pm which was a bit stupid considering no-one else joined him till 5am.

It was pretty cool as they had free starbucks and food giving out to everyone waiting and music BUT ..... then as they opened the store they did this ridiculous show where all the staff ran out shouting "Wooooo" and high fiving everyone.

It made me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Then the way they organised it all was that you had your own personal shop assistant who took you through to the store and helped you out with whatever you needed, very good service. I was back to being impressed ..... until after I paid and she gave me the bag she said "Congratulations" and I threw up a little bit in my mouth again.

But saved myself 50 pounds on the badboy buying it here so that was worth putting up with the cheese

Of course, if the iPad could be used for sodding faceache, sorry, facebook, then she would have ordered one weeks ago.

Just download the faceache app and Robert's your Auntie's uncle.

I still think it looks like a comedy oversized iPhone. The kind Dom Joly would use in one of this "Hello??? I AM ON THE TRAIN" sketches. In fact, he's already done it! http://www.s***clips.co.uk/hilarious/dom-jolly-on-his-new-apple-ipad
Apparently you can't even view Youtube videos on it due to the lack of support for flash software.
I like my gadgets but I can think of a million and one other things I would much rather spend my hard earnt cash on.

I still think it looks like a comedy oversized iPhone. The kind Dom Jolly would use in one of this "Hello??? I AM ON THE TRAIN" sketches. In fact, he's already done it! http://www.s***clips.co.uk/hilarious/dom-jolly-on-his-new-apple-ipad
Apparently you can't even view Youtube videos on it due to the lack of support for flash software.
I like my gadgets but I can think of a million and one other things I would much rather spend my hard earnt cash on.

Whoops, duplicate post alert. Dunno what happened there, but sorry 'bout that.

I still think it looks like a comedy oversized iPhone. The kind Dom Joly would use in one of this "Hello??? I AM ON THE TRAIN" sketches. In fact, he's already done it! http://www.s***clips.co.uk/hilarious/dom-jolly-on-his-new-apple-ipad

an oversized iphone is exactly what it is, everyone knows this, even us who have bought it. But what those of us realise who have bought them is what an oversized iphone actually means and what it can then do for you. Thats the difference. Size is everything here. Iphone is great for portability but it sucks to surf the net on it, iPad - better. iphone sucks for watching movies because of it's size - iPad is better. All of the things that come with an increased size screen but still it being multi touch, instant boot, and not having a complex OS mean consuming media on it is a richer experience than an iphone because of the size and a netbook because of its ergonmics and touch.

you're wrong about youtube by the way, it's the same as an iphone it has a youtube app and all youtube videos can be seen.

I got one, why? I can afford it, i can make use of it, and life is short. Why think of reasons why you don't want it? Think of the reason why you want it instead.

The buying experience is cool, i got mine at lunch, and there was still a small queue. People were going in but no one was coming out. I asked why and then found out they assign you a personal shopping assistant and when it was my turn the guy was trying to sell me everything but the kitchen sink to go with it - Mobile Me, accessories, Apple Care, Apple case (the girl at the til went "You GOT to have an Official Apple case") I told her I have a Dodocase coming from the states and they've been talking about that too between them.

I later saw the Apple case in the flesh and its rubbish, its like cheap rubber, not worth £30. I am going to get a £4 one until the Dodocase arrive.

I can't wait to use this as a portfolio showcase for my work in client meetings, you can't deny that it is cool and it can shows photo SOOOO well.

You paid for itunes?

wow they saw you coming. I downloaded mine for free :clap:

If I hadn't paid good money for an iPad I wouldn't have iTunes on my PC.

I can't believe that people have been using that **** for years, it makes Windows Media player look sleek :bang:

I can't believe that people have been using that **** for years, it makes Windows Media player look sleek :bang:

don't be mistaken in thinking that this experience is fact. This is just your experience and your impression. I for one love itunes and used it long before I had an ipod.

What you might not like others do.

iphone sucks for watching movies because of it's size

Would heartily disagree with that. I have had an Ipod Touch since they were released in the states, and have watched hundreds of movies on it without complaint.

Where else can you pull a gadget out of your pocket on a train, aeroplane etc and sit and watch a movie?

Before this I had an Archos. The Ipad offers nothing for than the old Archos for watching movies... including being big and cumbersome.

Would heartily disagree with that. I have had an Ipod Touch since they were released in the states, and have watched hundreds of movies on it without complaint.

Where else can you pull a gadget out of your pocket on a train, aeroplane etc and sit and watch a movie?

Before this I had an Archos. The Ipad offers nothing for than the old Archos for watching movies... including being big and cumbersome.

I watch movies on mine as well and have done for years, but i'd rather watch it on a bigger screen than a smaller one. Like I said, the iphone/touch is great when you need to be portable, but when you don't and the wife is watching eastenders I can watch it on a bigger screen now

I watch movies on mine as well and have done for years, but i'd rather watch it on a bigger screen than a smaller one. Like I said, the iphone/touch is great when you need to be portable, but when you don't and the wife is watching eastenders I can watch it on a bigger screen now

me too... its called the bedroom telly :D

me too... its called the bedroom telly :D

not for me, it's called the ipad. The TV in my bedroom sucks and getting a decent one costs way more than an iPad, especially if I want a media centre on it to watch downloaded movies and tv shows. Plus then it's stuck on my wall and I can't use it on the loo or when I'm away from home.

The iPad is aimed at certain people, and I'm one of em! Those that aren't aren't.

Whats really weird though is how vocal those that aren't seem to be, like I don't particularly like Wii's yet I don't think I have ever continuously posted about how I don't want one.

thats whats weird ... wonder why that is? It's almost like those that don't want it or see the use think those who do are being foolish and somehow not seeing the big picture, and you're trying to help us see the light, there are things in life some like and others don't simple as.

I would if I could afford it... :( the most exciting thing thats going to happen this year for me...drum roll...my grandad is going to get me an iPhone on his contract in a few months!! XD :D I'd be well happy with that!

I did go to the apple store today - OMFG - sooo stylish, cool, amazing!!! tried one of the games on it (racing) awesome! Even my mum was amazed with it!

Just had a thought and this might be putting the cat amongst the pigeons - in fact, it might even clarify my point regarding my earlier posting in here. If Apple started manufacturing digital cameras - perhaps DSLRs - even though the specs wouldn't be up to that much (the camera on the iPhone being a fine example), I bet they would fly off the shelves as if there isn't going to be a tomorrow!

You gotta hand it to Apple, it does have a shrewd sense of business. Despiting the amount of cr*p caused by the recession, Apple still comes up smelling of roses.
I don't have a fruit-related phone, or music player. Oh I can easily afford it but I won't because I'm not willing to follow the flock of sheep going bonkers barmy every time a new Apple product is launched "just because" it's an Apple.

My little netbook does the job just fine when it comes to showing photos on the move, thank you. My nokia 5800 mobile is handy as it has an FM radio built into it . . . which the overrated iPhone hasn't got.

That. Is. All.

Last edited:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

:clap::clap::clap:

Dom is my HERO :love:

I wonder how many of you will run out and buy the android device and sing its praises. It will be like an oversized android phone, will it not?

If it was such a bad idea, why would everyone be chasing trying to make a product the same with a different OS?

Big Ipad, blah blah blah, hahahah, oh how funny Dom Jolly. This s short sighted people who will not see what will come.

Flash is dying out anyways, not just me being fanboy, lot of web developers are loving html 5 and can't wait to get rid of flash, so in a year or 2 that will be a moot point, I never miss it on my iphone, so won't if I get one of these.

Closed OS is better, very little virus risk, more stable, everything will work.

Why better than Netbook? Instant start up, battery life, ease of use, bigger screen, closed OS so no need for worrying about viruses etc. etc.

This will change computing forever! Because it is apple or windows I would say the same. Just that everyone else is playing catchup. All these people saying hwo this or that device are better must be psychic, as no one has been able to release one yet!

I wonder how many of you will run out and buy the android device and sing its praises. It will be like an oversized android phone, will it not?!

Yeah, but that is totally different because the android device is by the lovely google rather than that mean nasty Apple, and it's not locked down, and it will have a tea maker built in, and it can read emails

Yes. Got a 64gb wifi version today.

How useful for a professional photographer? Portfolio viewings, invoice creation, contact and customer management with the excellent Bento app, huge battery life. Web browsing,, e-reader, iPod, media viewer, social networking tool, games machine. Versatile then.

As with the iPhone its the apps that will make the ipad make more sense each day.

There's a reason why apple just overtook MS as the largest tech company. Elegant, well signed hardware and software that's easy to use.

Got mine now, it was funny I got to the apple store here in Calgary at 7am there were already 100 people queuing, one guy had been there since 9pm which was a bit stupid considering no-one else joined him till 5am.

It was pretty cool as they had free starbucks and food giving out to everyone waiting and music BUT ..... then as they opened the store they did this ridiculous show where all the staff ran out shouting "Wooooo" and high fiving everyone.

It made me throw up a little bit in my mouth.

Then the way they organised it all was that you had your own personal shop assistant who took you through to the store and helped you out with whatever you needed, very good service. I was back to being impressed ..... until after I paid and she gave me the bag she said "Congratulations" and I threw up a little bit in my mouth again.

But saved myself 50 pounds on the badboy buying it here so that was worth putting up with the cheese
....my gag reflex cut in when reading that.....

Terran

Wait until you have a PC crash or rebuild.... you can export your lib but not import it and for me and my Ipod ( yes I have apple but this ones functional ) it has to format and rebuild the 80gb of music every time.... a PITRA.

Terran

You can still watch you tube on devices with no flash - iphone nd my xperia are good examples. You just cant wattch stuff like 4OD or trusted revirws.

Air video is one of the best thing ever!

Using the iPad to access all the video in your Hard drive and play it on. Your iPad remotely, even can do it over 3G.

It doesn't do many things new, like when the iPhone came out it got slated as there are lots of phones that can do more but the way it does things is just something else. Like the way i am typing this post. I am actually touch typing and only been using it for minutes!

Just had a thought and this might be putting the cat amongst the pigeons - in fact, it might even clarify my point regarding my earlier posting in here. If Apple started manufacturing digital cameras - perhaps DSLRs - even though the specs wouldn't be up to that much (the camera on the iPhone being a fine example), I bet they would fly off the shelves as if there isn't going to be a tomorrow!

You gotta hand it to Apple, it does have a shrewd sense of business. Despiting the amount of cr*p caused by the recession, Apple still comes up smelling of roses.
I don't have a fruit-related phone, or music player. Oh I can easily afford it but I won't because I'm not willing to follow the flock of sheep going bonkers barmy every time a new Apple product is launched "just because" it's an Apple.

My little netbook does the job just fine when it comes to showing photos on the move, thank you. My nokia 5800 mobile is handy as it has an FM radio built into it . . . which the overrated iPhone hasn't got.

That. Is. All.

Just a thought, I bet you've not yet had a chance to play around with an iPad and some of the iPad specific apps.

If you really think the experience of consuming media on a net book is just as good as on an iPad then I'd be surprised if you've tried it

It's just better in everyw way

Just a thought, I bet you've not yet had a chance to play around with an iPad and some of the iPad specific apps.

If you really think the experience of consuming media on a net book is just as good as on an iPad then I'd be surprised if you've tried it

It's just better in everyw way

I've tired a mate's iPhone and just simply didn't get that "Oh I MUST have one" feeling so I just know I will feel the same way about the iPad.
In my case and personal circumstances (I'm only a humble tomato farmer), perhaps it is just overkill. It's a bit like someone having already invented the wheel which does the job nicely (even though it is prone to getting punctures) but Apple came along and added white lines on it to make it look pretty.
At nearly 800 quid for the top of the range version, it's really for people who has more money than sense as the iPad's got that status "Ooo, look at me, I've got the flash new iPad" thing about it.

I've got the money but I also have the sense.

I've tired a mate's iPhone and just simply didn't get that "Oh I MUST have one" feeling so I just know I will feel the same way about the iPad.
In my case and personal circumstances (I'm only a humble tomato farmer), perhaps it is just overkill. It's a bit like someone having already invented the wheel which does the job nicely (even though it is prone to getting punctures) but Apple came along and added white lines on it to make it look pretty.
At nearly 800 quid for the top of the range version, it's really for people who has more money than sense as the iPad's got that status "Ooo, look at me, I've got the flash new iPad" thing about it.

Well yesterday I thought the iPad was a big iPhone but having spent a day using it I have realized it is much more. The specific iPad apps really set it apart. You have to try it to really get a good picture of it.

Having said that it is still niche and if it's not for you then it's not but in the same way as everything else in this world. Some people seem to be under the impression that their opinion of the iPad as a waste of time is just fact. When the value of it is specific to each user, they just seem to be more vocal about it. Just remember, nobody is telling you to buy one, are you this vocal about other items that exist in this world you don't want? And if not, why so much with this particular product?

So because you've decided you're not getting one ,anyone who is has 'more money than sense'.

Excellent post by Mr Fry.

I won't be buying an ipad but I also believe that those that do buy one, aren't fools, have more money than sense or are in some way damaging the planet by supporting an evil global giant.

Don't like Apple? Don't like ipads etc?

How about shutting the **** up and finding something constructive to do with the time you have?

Interesting thread this. I'm undecided as to what to do. The one thing I hate about my laptop is how hot it gets.
I remember when I bought my D3s. The 'experts' came out of the woodwork saying it wasn't much of an upgrade from the D3. I've owned both now and they are so wrong.
The D3s has quite a lot more than the D3 if you choose to check it out properly. I'm sure the Ipad is the same.
I have the attitude of trying something before knocking it. Find out if it's for you or not. Then explain why. Not just slate it uniformed.
I need to have aplay with one and see if its for me or not.

Kev.

Back