Anyone getting an iPad?

Better get my (y) in before this gets closed.

Got mine yesterday and am well impressed, easy set up (which is a plus for a tech numpty like me) and a breeze to use. Photo viewing is just a pleasure... fast, intuitive, bright, vibrant. My animoto portfolio works great on it too. I don't care if it's Windows, Apple, Banana or anything else, I just like gadgets that work without any interference from me!

Well mine has already got me serious brownie points at home. I can get three of my magazines I buy regularly in an ipad app at the current time. Doesn't sound that impressive, I could have done that with the iPhone but it's too small to read. However, my wife loved the idea...

"So are you telling me that now you won't have shelves full of magazines, and magazines all over the house? Great!"

Actually I think this is a big thing people might be missing here, and something Apple have got spot on. Magazine publishers have seen the point! I can now read Brides, PerformanceVW, iCreate, and an increasing number of the mags I buy on my iPad. This is because they've all seen the business model of this working through the app store. Nobody else has done this to publishing.

Pete

I got mine delivered on Thursday, by a not-very-happy UPS man. It seems he had a van packed to the gunnels with iPads and a very long day ahead of him.

It was worth getting just because I can browse the Web without being tied to a desk, or trying to balance a screen plus keyboard on my lap (and risk having roasted chestnuts because of the heat it gives out). With my iPad I can browse the Web, read my email, read eBooks and comic books, play games, etc. all from the comfort of my setee, or relaxing in the garden, or late at night in bed, or even sitting on the... well, maybe not there.

Cant print from them no USBslot no SD card slot somebody please tell me what from a photographers standpoint is the point of this overhyped epitomy of style over subsatnce

The killer app for me would be a Lightroom Catalog viewer. A LR plugin would take selected images and export them as iPad-scaled jpegs (either 1024x683 pixels or 2048x1366 pixels, loowing 2x zoom) along with the associated catalog info. The iPad app would be able to display the images and use the catalog info to do the same sort of filtering as LR's Library module, using Star and Colour ratings, Keywords and Metadata.

Not read the whole thread, (so apologies if it's been mentioned already) but the BFP newsletter came through the door this morning and Mr Jobs has decreed that there will be no nudity in apps for the iPad. Not sure how this will all work and a Google search has only revealed a few tidbits to corroborate the article. A good few foreign fashion magazines will be affected by this as well as (the article presumes) The Sun newspaper.

:shrug:

Ian.

There is a Brides App that just came out which i think is brilliant, It's a magazine. Just check this out. One of the 300 pages. Just quality photos for some inspiration ! The best bit is that it is FREE !

Last edited:
I still think it looks like a comedy oversized iPhone. The kind Dom Jolly would use in one of this "Hello??? I AM ON THE TRAIN" sketches. In fact, he's already done it! http://www.s***clips.co.uk/hilarious/dom-jolly-on-his-new-apple-ipad
Apparently you can't even view Youtube videos on it due to the lack of support for flash software.
I like my gadgets but I can think of a million and one other things I would much rather spend my hard earnt cash on.

Whoops, duplicate post alert. Dunno what happened there, but sorry 'bout that.

Wouldn't have happened on an iPad ;);););)

Yes. Got a 64gb wifi version today.

How useful for a professional photographer? Portfolio viewings, invoice creation, contact and customer management with the excellent Bento app, huge battery life. Web browsing,, e-reader, iPod, media viewer, social networking tool, games machine. Versatile then.

As with the iPhone its the apps that will make the ipad make more sense each day.

There's a reason why apple just overtook MS as the largest tech company. Elegant, well signed hardware and software that's easy to use.

Totally agree with you here Guy, point well made. I ordered a 32gig wifi version.

I just don't know why people have such a hate for Apple.

Simon

I think I would like one to play with, but I don't think I would use it enough to justify buying it. Just gonna have to keep saving for that Macbook Pro!

Totally agree with you here Guy, point well made. I ordered a 32gig wifi version.

Simon

I'm not a fan of apple generally - but the iPad is fantastic. The range of apps is already amazing. It would be intereting to know how many people who knock them have actually tried one out.

I showed it to the two guys I work with today, both of the now want one:D

This morning I let my iPad unleashed to my 10 month old daughter. She loved it, she played with the toy story digital book and scanning through photos and drawing with scribble. It was awesome

I'm not a fan of apple generally - but the iPad is fantastic. The range of apps is already amazing. It would be intereting to know how many people who knock them have actually tried one out./QUOTE]

I tried out out today and have to say im really not that impressed with it, 20 minutes later i bought an iPhone though :D Can at least use that to phone people and run the same apps, just in mini mode! :cool:

I am on mine now. Have just returned from the apple store! So far I am very impressed and even the wife thinks it is awesome!

I had to take my first one back due to a dead pixel but they swapped it without any hassle...

I'm off to download some more apps now!

PS the keyboard is so nice to use!

Was in Regent St today so popped in to the Apple store... After just 2 mins playing I WANT ONE. Smaller than I thought, but a nice size and great fun!!! Interested to know from people that have one, what is the battery life like in the real world. On a full charge how much browsing and so can you do?

Was in Regent St today so popped in to the Apple store... After just 2 mins playing I WANT ONE. Smaller than I thought, but a nice size and great fun!!! Interested to know from people that have one, what is the battery life like in the real world. On a full charge how much browsing and so can you do?

Did they still have any in stock?

Battery life looks pretty good to me. I've been using it on and off for a day and a half on wifi and I'm down to 30% I'd say I've probablynused it for about 5 hours in total and it's been on the rest of the time on standby still connected to wifi

Well, there was a massive queue in one side of shop going outside, so assume it was for people to buy one.

Not really sure why people are saying they will wait till the next version comes out. Of course that will be better, but then why not wait, as the third version will be even better!

Simon

I think it is because Apple have a canny knack of inticing people with what is otherwise a sub standard product.
1st - In this technological world we live in people want access and connectivity on the go. People (myself included) want USB, bluetooth, memory card and network access for example. Apple ipad cannot deliver these.

2nd - touchscreen technology. Apple make it out to be revolutionary because its on the ipad. Hell my nokia 5800 has a touch screen keyboard.
Touchscreen has been on the go for quite a while now (inc on the MS variants)

3rd - Companies that make tablets running microsoft OS offer far more value for money and the tablets are comparible in size to the ipad.

I don't diss Apple for what they are trying to do but in reality when you look at what the competition has to offer i would like version 1 of the ipad to have the following at least:
(even if you don't use some of them, its always nice to know they are there when you do need them)

1. USB
2. E-Sata
3. memory card slot
4. larger solid state drive
5. Flash capability
6. Multitasking
7. Ethernet

In a world where we don't really have alot of money to throw about at present, if I'm going to seriouslty buy something like the ipad, I want it to be there right at the top and give me value for money. I don't want to shell out more money on fancy accessories to get some of the above listed features.

And before all the bashers come in, yes I have and do own Apple products. I have used an iphone and it simply wasn't my cup of tea (to big for my pocket, no bluetooth, carp camera)
I have an ipod classic whic is gathering dust in my bedside cabnet because I don't like the way itunes wants you to sync with it every time. I don't store music on my PC once I have ripped it, so when I next synce the ipod it deletes all my tracks - why!!!!!!?????

Come on Apple move with the times and stop ripping us off!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well all I can say is I'm glad Apple don't build aircraft or cars. Half a job harrys that they are, you'd have aircraft missing a wing and tail until the next "update" cars missing wheels and mirrors etc etc

it is really annoying, why can't they put the functionality in the product. Even the iPhone is still missing elementary things it should have even at this stage!

....People (myself included) want USB, bluetooth, memory card and network access for example. Apple ipad cannot deliver these.....

I think that's one of the reasons I DO like the iPad. It does exactly what a simple technophobe like me wants it to do. I pick it up, press a button and it shows me my pictures... and very nicely too thank you! I can press another button and it plays songs (y). Press another button and the calendar I had on my computer is there on my iPad (how the heck did that happen so easily without me having to fart about with any settings and stuff :thinking:). Press some other buttons and it does a load of other neat things... all without me having to read a single word of a manual.

I don't want E-Sata (WTF is E-Sata anyway? :shrug:) or any of that other stuff, if I did I'd probably buy one of those other 'non-apple' gadgets, that's the beauty of choice. Clever people can choose a device that they can delve into and use all its Ethernets, Flashes and E-Satas if they want. Other people who aren't bothered about any of that can pick up an iPad, turn it on and it works... very nicely too!

I presume you've chosen not to buy one... So how is it ripping you off? :thinking:

So, to go back to SAuchterlonie's original question... why the hate for Apple? They make stuff a lot of people repeatedly choose, of their own free will, to buy. They don't force anyone to buy the things. Surely that's a good thing, no?

1st - In this technological world we live in people want access and connectivity on the go. People (myself included) want USB, bluetooth, memory card and network access for example. Apple ipad cannot deliver these.

iPad + Camera connector = USB. My iPad has Bluetooth. iPad + Camera connector + USB card reader = memory card access. My iPad has network access for the apps that need it.

2nd - touchscreen technology. Apple make it out to be revolutionary because its on the ipad. Hell my nokia 5800 has a touch screen keyboard.

What makes a huge difference is the use of gestures, double-tapping, double scrolling, etc. In the past touchscreens just had the finger replacing the mouse - you still had to fanny about with scroll bars and zoom buttons.

3rd - Companies that make tablets running microsoft OS offer far more value for money and the tablets are comparible in size to the ipad.

Obviously you haven't heard - Windows 7 tablets are dead. Link Link Link. If you try to make a tablet that can run Windows 7 it will be both slow and heavy. That's one reason why Windows tablets (which first appeared nearly 20 years ago) have never taken off.

At the moment there's only one real alternative to the iPad - Android tablets. Their main problem is that they don't actually exist yet. If they can get something good released soon (and Dell's 5" streak is just too close to a phone in size) then they may be a contender.

I have an ipod classic whic is gathering dust in my bedside cabnet because I don't like the way itunes wants you to sync with it every time. I don't store music on my PC once I have ripped it, so when I next synce the ipod it deletes all my tracks - why!!!!!!?????

Er, because you haven't got iTunes set up to do what you want it to do? You've left it with the default settings - to duplicate the state of the music on ipod and PC - which is what most people want. You need to tell it to only sync the musid you want to sync.

Loving mine so far and both my kids can't get enough of it, one playing games, the other one drawing and design.

The one thing that has disappointed me is the price of books, I'm not spending a tenner on downloading some text. Surely with no printing or distribution books should be fraction of the price of the printed version?

Life would be less good without it... :)
This is my first apple device. I'm a linux wielding standards based hater of proprietary stuff. And yet I love my ipad. Go figure...

I will DEFINATELY be buying one, but probably around xmas time after my wedding is paid for and after OS 4.0 is released for it in the Autumn.

I LOVE Apple products and would probably buy this on a whim, but i can justify it which is even better!

I travel a lot for work and have to take my own laptop as well as a work laptop for hotel stays etc as well as a Dongle. Going to replace the dongle with a mobile wifi device and replace the laptop with an iPad. Travelling light and getting a new toy, job done!

Ive been busy editing my work ppt's to look better on ipad keynote :) My VGA dongle arrived today too so WOOOOT :) However, I wouldn't want to edit slides on it.. but for presenting its fine.

Note taking is really a challenge for me on it too - i've tried the dobo stylus but the tip is too fat.. I think illl have to still lug a notepad and pen around with me :)

Loving mine so far and both my kids can't get enough of it, one playing games, the other one drawing and design.

The one thing that has disappointed me is the price of books, I'm not spending a tenner on downloading some text. Surely with no printing or distribution books should be fraction of the price of the printed version?

Get the free books app. 23,000 books all for free because they are in the public domain. It's not as good as the booke reader on the iPad but it has it's own reader and it's free free free

I think it is because Apple have a canny knack of inticing people with what is otherwise a sub standard product.

I don't diss Apple for what they are trying to do but in reality when you look at what the competition has to offer i would like version 1 of the ipad to have the following at least:
(even if you don't use some of them, its always nice to know they are there when you do need them)

1. USB
2. E-Sata
3. memory card slot
4. larger solid state drive
5. Flash capability
6. Multitasking
7. Ethernet

In a world where we don't really have alot of money to throw about at present, if I'm going to seriouslty buy something like the ipad, I want it to be there right at the top and give me value for money. I don't want to shell out more money on fancy accessories to get some of the above listed features.

And before all the bashers come in, yes I have and do own Apple products. I have used an iphone and it simply wasn't my cup of tea (to big for my pocket, no bluetooth, carp camera)

Firstly I think you need to do more research. Some of the things you have claimed the iPad can't do, it can, jailbreak it and it can do even more.

But most importantly, it's clear the iPad isn't aimed at you. You want to do other things that I don't want to do. I've never needed esata and I never will. The features it comes with are carefully chosen to reach a particular audience, if you aren't that audience then you don't buy one and you move on.

Do you have the same hatred for other products that don't contain all the things you want? Or do you just not buy them? Your rant mainly relies on the fact that apple are forcing people to buy their products and somehow ripping them off. Those that buy them buy them because they are what they want, there is no ripping off

Stupar does have very valid points. Yes the product is aimed at a particular audience however it does have some really elementary things missing that all computers / tablets today should have without question. Ethernet, USB, multi tasking are three that jump out of that list at me immediatly.

It goes back to the analogy I used in my first post. If Apple made aircraft it would probably have the sexiest flight deck ever but it's usless without two wings / two engines! Elementary features you might say on a product.

Multitasking is coming in OS4!! USB is available with the camera connection kit - peeps already have keyboards, speakers, mics working with it.

Stupar does have very valid points. Yes the product is aimed at a particular audience however it does have some really elementary things missing that all computers / tablets today should have without question. Ethernet, USB, multi tasking are three that jump out of that list at me immediatly.

It goes back to the analogy I used in my first post. If Apple made aircraft it would probably have the sexiest flight deck ever but it's usless without two wings / two engines! Elementary features you might say on a product.

Or you can put it in a way that if apple make cars they would make a car like a old classic, elegant, goes from a to b without all the extras.

I am wondering how much utility a photographer is going to get out of the iPad? Bearing in mind it has no SD/USB slot (I think), how much use is it going to be for basic photo editing/organisation. Are there a lot of good photography-focused apps?

I am thinking of getting one, and it would help if I could justify it as a photography-related purchase.

p.s. I think all the anti-Apple stuff is a little odd. As if Apple make "sub-standard" products... There's a reason Apple products have a higher brand penetration amongst creative professionals than elsewhere, and it's because their products do what they are designed to do very, very well.

I got my iPad just the other day. I see so many people saying how crap it is, but if they think that, surely it is simple, just dont buy one, go get a laptop or something. I am no apple fan boy, but do own a iPhone, and now iPad, and I love both.

The Pad is ideal for sofa surfing, all this stuff about flash, I am sure a way round will be found. But the app store is amazing, I love the way I can view photos direct from the home server. It does everything I wanted. It is still very new, I think developers will need time to get the apps out there. But OS4 will be great allowing multitasking, some moan this should be a basic feature, but it never has been, we all know this from the iPhone.

And of the day, the way I see it, if you want one, go buy one ans enjoy it, if you dont, save your £'s and buy some glass, hehe.

Just my two pennys worth.

Multi tasking is coming out in the next OS4 I think. Never used ethernet so not sure how relevant it is.

I am wondering how much utility a photographer is going to get out of the iPad? Bearing in mind it has no SD/USB slot (I think), how much use is it going to be for basic photo editing/organisation. Are there a lot of good photography-focused apps?

I am thinking of getting one, and it would help if I could justify it as a photography-related purchase.

p.s. I think all the anti-Apple stuff is a little odd. As if Apple make "sub-standard" products... There's a reason Apple products have a higher brand penetration amongst creative professionals than elsewhere, and it's because their products do what they are designed to do very, very well.

As a photo editing hardware, none. It is never going to be or never will be as powerful as my iMac. I don't even use my net book for photo editing even if i could. The fact is that it is just not fast enough to run cs5 or lightroom. And who edit their work on a net book anyway, the colours are bad being a tn screen, it is slow and the screen is tiny.

The ipad is a tool to show my portfolio. It costs hundreds to get a nice leather portfolio, or even a book of your work printed from places like vision art, kiss or laxly, the iPad makes it interactive, cool, right up to date with your latest shoot and forever reusable.

Thats what it can be used for as a photographer. I will have my work to show people anywhere and everywhere i go. In fact i just did when some people asked me about my iPad when i was at the coffee shop, I showed them my wedding portfolio right there.

If you want to edit your work, get a laptop or MacBook, and live with the extra size, weight and lack of built in 3G.

The iPad is a mobile device why would it have Ethernet? That is something for a device that is designed to stay still. It's not a laptop, Ethernet would be a very niche addition most people won't care less about Ethernet.

USB is ere with the camera connection

Multitasking in os4, not that I'll ever use it though.

Why did this thread have to be hijacked by Apple haters? If you don't like Apple don't by their products.

This thread would be more far more useful and constructive if it was filled with constructive feedback about the devise to help people decide if they want to buy one.

Barney

Back