Anyone got a Ricoh GR then?

I got a GR a few weeks back and find it's virtually my goto camera of choice at the moment. I certainly have a range of options to choose from but IMO the pocket size/IQ ratio is wonderful and custom options/one handed use make it a nice thing to use.

Many of my pics with it are from occasions I've happened to have it with me because it was in my pocket, rather than planning out a expedition with a bag of stuff over my shoulder...

I love it

Is Crazy...Non?!
by jamiewednesday1, on Flickr

Belek Showerproofing

Scene da un matrimonio

More fun in the Lagonda

Lovely shots Jamie although last one looks like the vibrance slider got stuck on full..:p I still havent really had time to get out with mine due to being so busy with work but the time I have spent with it I love it! Its so customisable everything is just there where you want it and the image quality is amazing.

Aaaaand I've bought one :D

After gassing for many moons, Amazon had it on a lightning deal yesterday morning for £369, couldn't resist. I assume they only had half a dozen or so, as they were 100% sold in 2 minutes...

First thoughts... Amazed at the size, and just how much can be messed with in camera, settings etc.. The menu system is great and even as standard the control layout is ace. Even messing around in camera with RAW files I got some great images, next step is to get an Eye-Fi card in there and start sharing pics without using LR. Brave, eh? :LOL:

Anyone else enjoying theres still?

£369!! that was a great deal..still enjoying mine just not had the chance to get out properly with it yet.

I'd have kicked myself if I didn't go for it! Probably wouldn't lose a fortune if I didn't like it, but it's got me intrigued for now, especially snap-focus and the TAv mode. Hoping to go for a wander around town at the weekend and see if I'm as crap at street photography as the other kinds :LOL:

Is anyone else processing RAW files in the camera? I might be being thick, but it doesn't seem to produce a JPG for display use like my DSLR's do, it just shows the RAW image as a crap, flat, blocky thing. A few minutes of dicking with in-camera sliders, and stunning JPG's come out! Am aware of the RAW vs. JPG s***storm in the main forum just now, am not trying to repeat that :D I love the idea of being able to tweak RAW images in camera, then Eye-Fi the JPG's to my tablet for instant sharing and automatic cloud storage on Google Drive, then store the RAW images in the normal way later on :)

After uming and arring for ages about changing from my canon dslr to a fuji xt1 ive decided to just get a decent compact for the times I don't want to lug around all my slr gear. And I think I want a GR but I want to get my hands on one before I pull the trigger. I'm in manchester, anyone know a shop that will stock them? Maybe camulet?

The nearest jessops that has it in stock is birmingham which is a bit too far really. I'll give camulet a ring

The nearest jessops that has it in stock is birmingham which is a bit too far really. I'll give camulet a ring
I couldn't find a shop to try one in, but it's worth remembering that if you buy from Amazon and aren't keen, they'll refund you no questions.

As Stuart says it's hard to imagine anyone being disappointed with it, I've barely shot anything outside the house and already think this is a keeper!

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get it, just would have been nice to give it a try before I hand over my cash. Looking forward to getting my hands on it!

I think I've tried one briefly at clifton cameras, and I liked it, its impressively small with good shape and materials

The GR is the best camera I've ever owned. Handles well. Always with me. Outstanding quality. It's almost annoying how well it does what it does as I find it hard to justify using my other gear or giving in to any more gear acquisition syndrome (other than longer focal lengths where needed ofcourse). I have an Olympus m43 with some portrait lens and I feel like I could use a standard prime, but every time I start adding things to online baskets I little voice in me says (GR better. Nice length. No point in anything else near 28mm).

Last edited:
Recently bought the GV2 viewfinder for mine. Whilst a tad expensive (which viewfinder isn't?), it takes the GR to another level.

Currently om Amazon UK lightning deal for £369. A very good price and I'd get one if I didn't already have a X100.

I got mine at the Amazon DD price of £369, it seemed too good a price to miss given that if I did not like it, I could fire it straight back to Amazon. Out of the box I did not like it at all, first impressions was that it looked like a compact from 10-15 years ago. Well I have had it a couple of weeks and I have been comparing it against my RX-100 and although the RX-100 has the zoom and the better pocketability, the quality of the pictures from the GR are really excellent and marginally better than the RX-100, also the GR menu system is easy to use and more comprehensive than my D7100!
The GR is exceptionally well built but the factors of the retro shape, the fact that there have been a few reports of sensor dust issues plus the fact that it is very hard to get a high quality leather case for it means I decided to return it. Well the last few days, I have picked it up and put it down several times and I cannot bring myself to send it back, I just like the damn thing too much!

Well having decided to keep this camera, I had ordered the GC-6 leather 'half' case which arrived today, ordered from Ricoh UK and shipped from Germany. It is an excellent fit, is very good quality, well worth £40 and gives the camera a very different feel. Happy bunny!

Had mine up for sale recently as been using the sigma dp2m more but got the ricoh out had a play and decided I cant sell it!..:exit:

I can see why, I've only had mine a few hours but it's lovely, and totally pocketable. My first pocket camera and one I'll never sell :)

Yep and so many configurations you can really customise it to suit your style.

Anyone know if you can get the Ricoh GH-3 filter adapter on its own without the hood?..WEX want £60 for the kit but doubt I would use the hood,or is there an alternative?

How do you guys rate the jpegs. I fancied getting one but put off with a few bad write ups on flat jpegs.

I havent shot raw with mine yet and more than happy with the jpegs.

are these cameras as good as people are telling me???? im in the market for a all in one to use like this .... this or any others ????

If your happy to settle for a full frame fov of 28mm and a aperture of 2.8 then this is the compact to get for sure. I've had many cameras in my time and this camera is a joy, and I keep getting surprised with the results.
I only shoot JPEG too :)
https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/63567230@N08/

@Nick Coe

Do you find the GR distorts at 28mm for portrait and environmental type shots of your daughters? Your everyday capture of your family has got me thinking this could be the perfect replacement for the Fuji XF1 I pack in the toddler bag when going out and about.

Yea maybe there is a little distortion when I get right in there but nothing that bugs me about it.
It will however beat the pants off that Fuji simply for the different size in sensors :) aps-c in a compact is the best for me.

And if you have a little kid on the move all the time and you out n about say a park here's some great settings that I've learned over the past week with the GR.
Out n about shoot in snap mode say at 2m to 2.5m
Select a aperture of f5.6 and a shutter speed of around 1/1000.
Then point n shoot, you'll be hard done by if you miss that great shot :)
Great camera for shooting kids.

Back