Anyone got experience of Portus Digital?

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I am interested in getting a D7100 body and have been checking prices. Jessops price is £749 (although I believe that some Nikon main dealers are doing a free grip as a promotion at the moment) and the lowest I can find online is £519 with Portus Digital.

Any advice on Portus, anyone? The £230 difference is quite substantial and would contribute a big chunk of the cost of the Tamron 10-24 that I fancy.

Rob

I've used them in the past and they are first class but not tested their after sales care (something to consider as like Panamoz, HDEW etc. they are grey imports). They had the best price from my 100mm 2.8L macro lens, was delivered inside of a week via FedEx. No complaints :)

Before anyone else jumps in Rob, just do a quick forum Search on "Portus Digital", read a few of the threads, and be prepared for some of the comments you're likely to attract...

Aha... I seem to have taken the lid off a can of worms here.... I recognise that they are a grey importer and TBH that alone doesn't worry me overly - my first 'grey' import was a Seiko watch in 1974 which is actually still running well. I was more concerened with how quickly they deliver/how they handle complaints/how quickly they make repairs under warranty etc. One thing that does worry me is the fact that they don't accept direct payments from Paypal or Mastercard/Visa cards and that's the reason I won't be ordering with them, despite their very keen pricing.

Rob

If you have decided to go grey why not use one of the more reputable ones? For example, HDEW, Digital Rev or Panamoz, at least then you have a chance of some customer service if things go wrong.

Thanks for recommendations, Dave, I'll do my research (funds won't be available until the end of this month) but whichever I choose I am much more inclined to pick somewhere that ships from inside the UK - I don't want to have to shell out almost 25% in VAT and import duty (plus fees) against the promise that some company in a foreign country will refund me.

Rob

I bought a D610 and 28-300 from Panamoz which were clearly marked camera equipment on each order with no worries from customs

Can't remember but decent sized box and weight so hardly a filter

Thanks for recommendations, Dave, I'll do my research (funds won't be available until the end of this month) but whichever I choose I am much more inclined to pick somewhere that ships from inside the UK - I don't want to have to shell out almost 25% in VAT and import duty (plus fees) against the promise that some company in a foreign country will refund me.

Rob

Have a look at HDEW then, they are the only grey seller physically in the UK and able to give you a VAT invoice if you request one.

Thanks, Dave. There are a couple of sellers on Ebay that advertise as shipping from the UK but I'm a bit wary of using an unknown supplier. I'll look into HDEW as there doesn't seem to be much available used - I guess they are still too new...

Rob

Portus are in Wales. I've bought a 6d, 600exrt, 100f2.8l is macro at separate times from them. As friend of mine has used them without any issues also. Never needed to test the warranty but goods have arrived in a timely maor. Very helpful on phone and all have arrived in under 5 days. So portus get a thumbs up from me.

I brought a Canon 5D3 and a Canon 135 f2L from PORTUS, arrived in perfect condition and as advertised. Only complaint was no tracking of shipment via FED EX, who were shocking, delivering the camera to a factory, which I went and retrieved it from!!, very good value though.

I had the same problem as BARRYBOY, above, re payment to PORTUS through PAYPAL, but when I phoned them, they took a payment over the phone, very helpful, he even went to check the stock to see if one was ready for dispatch. Just the cornier, FED EX, let them down really.

Portus are in Wales.

Oh? When did Wales stop being part of the UK and the EU?

From their terms:

By making a purchase on our website you are acting as the importer of the product and agree to Portus Digital making all delivery arrangements to your door, including customs clearance into the UK or other EU countries.

And

Portus Digital Product Sourcing
Our products are imported from various sources around the world. When you buy a product on our site you recognise that Portus Digital is sourcing the product on your behalf and making it available for you to import directly from the country of origin.

http://www.portusdigital.com/terms-and-conditions#answer5

People might well be happy to take the risk of importing grey goods from foreign sellers, but it's best they have all the facts.

Back