anyone heard of Portus Digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are another grey importer and the few prices I looked at seem about right for imports woth no VAT to pay. Never heard of them before though.

how does it work though?

if you buy them in HK there is no tax to pay, but you have to pay it when you import them, and if your turnover is more than 15k per quarter you have to add vat on to the price.

The way grey importers work in reality is that no tax is paid at the point of sale and they hope to stay under the customs radar so that no import duty or tax is added later. Hence the very cheap prices. Most grey importers say they'll cover the tax if it does need to be paid but I've never seen any stories of where that's been needed.

Morally not the way to do it but it certainly works out cheaper for those that do.

Panamoz have them beaten on price in most cases.

I have just had a Nikon DSLR delivered which I bought from Portus Digital.
Excellent service and prices, delivered within one week all packaged complete with Nikon Europe guarantee etc.
They give good advice over the phone aswell.
Definitely recommended.

Damp Dog said:
I have just had a Nikon DSLR delivered which I bought from Portus Digital.
Excellent service and prices, delivered within one week all packaged complete with Nikon Europe guarantee etc.
They give good advice over the phone aswell.
Definitely recommended.

Wow, thanks for signing up just to tell us that... SUSPECT

Hi sorry if you think I signed up just to post about Portus.I signed up here then found this thread by coincidence.
They are in Wales and I am in Buckinghamshire and am a customer of theirs.Just thought it would be helpful to others to know they are genuine and very helpful with brilliant prices.
I will be buying a telephoto from them next month.
If anyone lives in Bucks and are thinking of using them I have the camera and all the paperwork if they wish to see it.
I paid by Visa just in case there was a problem,always do as you are covered by the credit card company.
Cheers

Mike

ordered Nikon D3200, wouldn't buy without actually speaking to someone on phone first. spoke to John at portus and ordered it.
sent a couple of e-mails with were responded same day.
received camera within a week 5 stars. i did pay with a credit card to be on the safe side but everything is very professorial from order number to tracking number. came special delivery today with 2 year guarantee.

Their terms and conditions make interesting reading.

Taxes and the Price You Pay
The price you see on the website is the price you will pay (except for UK orders of £250 or less, or for delivery destinations outside the UK, when delivery charges will apply - see Delivery Charges and Timing. By making a purchase on our website you are acting as the importer of the product and agree to Portus Digital making all delivery arrangements to your door, including customs clearance into the UK or other EU countries.

Seems to suggest that the customer is responsible for any duty etc.

Portus Digital Product Sourcing
Our products are imported from various sources around the world. When you buy a product on our site you recognise that Portus Digital is sourcing the product on your behalf and making it available for you to import directly from the country of origin.

All Portus Digital products carry a 2-year product guarantee and we undertake to direct the customer to an approved UK repairer in the event of a product fault occurring. In our experience, it is in the best interests of the customer that any faulty product is repaired with the customer entering into direct contact with the repairer. However, we accept that the customer has the right to return the product to Portus Digital in the event of a genuine fault within the guarantee period.

So basically no warranty then.

I'd stick to one of the others then. If your happy to try and avoid paying the tax. some of the other sites do say they will pay the VAT if you get hit with a bill. And warranty reports also seem to be better than what are stated above.

Tommy, presumably (re warranty issues) if they're needed, buyers will find themselves out in the cold too, as some manufacturers won't touch grey imports?

Not a seller i'd risk using.

Hi sorry if you think I signed up just to post about Portus.I signed up here then found this thread by coincidence.
They are in Wales and I am in Buckinghamshire and am a customer of theirs.Just thought it would be helpful to others to know they are genuine and very helpful with brilliant prices.
I will be buying a telephoto from them next month.
If anyone lives in Bucks and are thinking of using them I have the camera and all the paperwork if they wish to see it.
I paid by Visa just in case there was a problem,always do as you are covered by the credit card company.
Cheers

Mike

Hmm - seems our soggy canine hasn't been back again since posting this... I think that i'd be taking his advice with a Large side order of NaCl...

their street address listed is either part of the local NFU branch or a private address.
5 West Street, Knighton, Powys, LD7 1EN

The black door is number 5.
http://goo.gl/maps/0a0Qo

Hi I haven't been back here to post because quite frankly I don't find it a very friendly site,especially for newcomers.
I was just giving my experience after seeing the link regarding Portus but all members want to do is take the **ss.
I have just received £55.00 pounds cashback from Nikon in the way of a rewards card for my purchase from Portus and and a 2 year warranty friom Nikon was included with it so I am very happy.
To claim the cashback, [ offer now finished ],I had to send a copy of my invoice and serial number of the camera.
I have now ordered a Nikon telephoto from Portus,I think it was a couple of pounds more than Panamoz.
If you still want to disbelieve me and take the **ss out of me then so be it.
Regards

Mike

Hi I haven't been back here to post because quite frankly I don't find it a very friendly site,especially for newcomers.
I was just giving my experience after seeing the link regarding Portus but all members want to do is take the **ss.
I have just received £55.00 pounds cashback from Nikon in the way of a rewards card for my purchase from Portus and and a 2 year warranty friom Nikon was included with it so I am very happy.
To claim the cashback, [ offer now finished ],I had to send a copy of my invoice and serial number of the camera.
I have now ordered a Nikon telephoto from Portus,I think it was a couple of pounds more than Panamoz.
If you still want to disbelieve me and take the **ss out of me then so be it.
Regards

Mike

I don't think that the forum is unfriendly to newcomers, but I think many people on the forum are suspicious of newcomers whose few posts solely promote a very dodgy looking website.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

I'm surprised that a grey importer was accepted by Nikon, if you could PS your name and address out and then upload and post a copy of the invoice here I'm sure a lot more people might believe the authenticity of your story.

I'm new here too. (joined 12 months ago, but only just started using the forum)

I hope that you don't take comments to heart, it's just users trying to help each other out and not get ripped off or caught out with doggy deals. I have found any questions I have posted to be answered very helpfully.
I think most of the post on here are just skeptical of a shop that isn't (just using a address), says it is a importer, but doesn't seem to be willing to help with any import issues i.e. VAT and doesn't seem very supportive of any warranty issues.

I too am surprised you have got your cash back, as I know I emailed canon about buying a camera from other sites regarding cash back and was told it would only be paid if the camera serial number was a UK one.

their street address listed is either part of the local NFU branch or a private address.
5 West Street, Knighton, Powys, LD7 1EN

The black door is number 5.
http://goo.gl/maps/0a0Qo

hmmmm... I'll get onto this one tomorrow... being NFU.

OK, I can confirm our branch (NFU M) is next door at No 3.

Spoke to the agent today, and the house next door is a private residential address.

Hi,

I bought a Nikon D3100 with 18-55, 55-200 lens kit and it was 375pounds, It today arrived... So I think they are good seller the price was excellent.

Hi,

I bought a Nikon D3100 with 18-55, 55-200 lens kit and it was 375pounds, It today arrived... So I think they are good seller the price was excellent.

Welcome to the forum, it was nice of you to track down the post on this forum, register and then make your very first post a positive review for this dubious company.

As a matter of interest, doesn't your UK keyboard have a £ symbol?

:shrug:

I think there have been at least three users who have only registered to post about Portus in this thread... Seems legitimate to me!

its odd how its only sites that seem dodgier than dodgy dave down the dog and duck that people feel the need to join to promote but then never come back

I don't recall ever seeing a hit and run recomendation for MPB, or Camtech, or Ffordes, or even Kerso, URgalaxy, Digital Rev, panamoz etc - but we get them regularly for the less mainstream :thinking:

of course its nothing to do with some dodgy sites allegedly paying people to give them gleaming reviews, people who think that are just cynical :whistle:

to be fair to portus their phone number does tally with the address given (allbeit a private residence not an office) , which is more than can be said for a lot of these companies, many of whom are using the same post resante addresses in either carlisle or halifax :thinking:

Last edited:
do you sell cameras outy of your datsun round the back of the dog and duck ?

that doesn't alliterate very well though - and i prefer not to trade with vicious vic round the back of of the victorious viper :LOL:

Welcome to the forum, it was nice of you to track down the post on this forum, register and then make your very first post a positive review for this dubious company.

As a matter of interest, doesn't your UK keyboard have a £ symbol?

:shrug:

I have £ symbol but I like writing that pounds... I come from Hungary so I do this used to it...(y)

there is absolutely no way i would risk £600-700 to save £30....
And after the three amigos promoting their website my money will stay where it is....

Phew

I have £ symbol but I like writing that pounds... I come from Hungary so I do this used to it...(y)

You make it quite confusing, if you ever come to the UK you will discover "pounds" are an imperial unit of measurement of weight, used like "a pound of bananas please", the currency could be referred to as Pounds (capatilised), GBP, or commonly £.

It unfortunately doesn't change the fact that the company being discussed is a shady one man operation, running from a private residence who sells grey imports which have not had tax or duty paid on their importation, anyone with any sense wanting a grey import would be better off with an established trader who does pay their UK tax liabilities like Kerso or HDEW.

You make it quite confusing, if you ever come to the UK you will discover "pounds" are an imperial unit of measurement of weight, used like "a pound of bananas please", the currency could be referred to as Pounds (capatilised ), GBP, or commonly £.

It unfortunately doesn't change the fact that the company being discussed is a shady one man operation, running from a private residence who sells grey imports which have not had tax or duty paid on their importation, anyone with any sense wanting a grey import would be better off with an established trader who does pay their UK tax liabilities like Kerso or HDEW.

Right I will using Pounds with capital letters or £.... all right... That is not my problem that they paying tax/vat so if the price good I will buying from Them. for the authorities of know about should be... I hope you understand me...(y)

Last edited:
It will however be your problem , when the authorities stick you with large bill for the import tax

Hi all!
After reading through the previous posts I am now
thinking that I won't be buying from portus and they
Obviously have google knowledge to pick up when the
Company name is mentioned and their advertising in prime
Slots, anyway, my point is, where can I buy a Nikon D300 with
Two lenses, and a beauty dish/ring flash thing (help required)
For less than £500 SAFELY?

*New to photography and forum! X :bat:

Hi all!
After reading through the previous posts I am now
thinking that I won't be buying from portus and they
Obviously have google knowledge to pick up when the
Company name is mentioned and their advertising in prime
Slots, anyway, my point is, where can I buy a Nikon D300 with
Two lenses, and a beauty dish/ring flash thing (help required)
For less than £500 SAFELY?

*New to photography and forum! X :bat:

Ffordes, MPB, Mifsuds, London Camera Exchange (and a few others that advertise in the back of Amateur Photographer) will sell you honestly graded kit with a guarantee. You might need to stretch your budget a little though.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back