Anyone grow their own chillis?

I have no room for over-wintering but tonnes of room during the growing season. I might just buy new plants every year and just over winter 2 or 3. My window sills that I could use get very little winter sun.

I tried over wintering and didnt go to well so not bothering again.Alot of the chilli growers I know just start from seed each year with the plants under lights until weathers good enough for them to go in greenhouse or polytunnel

No one grow jalapeño? I heard these can be grown indoors, Is that true ? I don't have anywhere outdoors to grow anything but I'd love to start growing things if I can indoors.

I did well last year with a couple of jalapenos that I grew in a pot from seed in the green house.
Lots of peppers and great thinly diced in a hot dog and on pizza.

No one grow jalapeño? I heard these can be grown indoors, Is that true ? I don't have anywhere outdoors to grow anything but I'd love to start growing things if I can indoors.
Yep got some jalepeno on the go and some Tam jalepenos.Should be ok on a sunny windowsil.Also try cheyenne,not a huge plant but should do ok inside and produces loads of lovely tasting chillies.

Only thing with growing them indoors you might have to self pollinate.

A very fine artists brush does the job.

I use one of those evil rubbery sticks that the evil dental hygienist told me to stick between my teeth.

I cant believe I have just found this thread. Ive always fancied having a go at growing chillies.

Only thing with growing them indoors you might have to self pollinate.

A very fine artists brush does the job.

Mine are all growing indoors at the moment and are at the flowering stage. I am using a very soft brush to pollinate them, it's working because a few fruits have set, but to be honest I don't really understand what exactly I'm doing. Am I supposed to be moving the pollen from the stamen to the stigma of each individual flower on the same plant and then clean the brush before moving on to another plant, or just go round and touch every flower on every plant regardless of the variety ( much like a bee would). This question sounds stupid when I read it back, but can't think of another way of wording it.:confused:

I just used to go round with a brush on each flower or just gently tap them and you can see the pollen literally fall out.

I used the same brush on both plants last year with no obvious problems.

When the breeders are doing very selective cross pollination, they cut the anthers (the pollen bearing male parts) out of the flowers of the male parent and wipe them against the stigma (female part) of another flower on (usually) a different plant. Since we're usually only trying to ensure that we get some fruits rather than wanting/needing a specific cross breed, we can simply go round all the open flowers and give 'em a good (but gentle!) rogering with a soft brush to ensure that as many as possible get a dose of pollen on their lady parts! Or, if practical, take the plants outside on sunny, warm days and let the bees do their magic thing and get their funk on!

Last edited:
Its a great bit of kit but is expensive,the thermostat is very accurate and ideal for germinating chillies.Just put some purple jalepenos in it to so how quick they germinate.Also got some nice lights and have some cheyenne under them at the mo and they are flying along! These are £60 for 2ft twin set but very good.
http://grownuphydroponics.com/maxib...ight-110w-blue-spectrum-cool-temperature.html

Ok, I have to ask, after amassing all this kit are we seriously talking chillies here? Because I've heard this plant called some things in my time but........"purple jalepenos" ......Yeah right! :cool:;)

:D I can assure you its not!..You wouldnt want that crushed and sprinkled on ya pizza.:p Or maybe you would I dont know ;)

My lighting is much cheaper the sun :cool:

Seriously how long are those PL2's Stuart please?

Hi mate they are 2ft long,just finished setting mine up hanging above the vitopod propagator.Yep the sun is free but good luck with that in the early months lol.:p

Thanks Julie me too! Just using them along with some habeneros as guinea pigs in the new set up!

Anyone wanting to grow from an established plant, got to B&Q. They have some from suttons @ £3 each. Not cheap but worth a shot.
I got a zimbabwe black, thai hot and Bhut Jolokia

Can't remeber the other types thay had but there were a few more, I think it may vary per branch

The Bhut was a good 6 inches high, not sure on the others but they did look good.

Nice one cheers for that..will have to take a drive to our local one.

Back