Anyone heard of 'the photography institute' (.co.uk)???

is that the asylum for photographers that have gone totally, drooling mad? :D

no not heard of them

Got the same email :cautious: , no nothing about them I affraid.

do you mind if i ask what course are you doing Adele? and through who?

i really want to do a course but cant commit to college. online seems the perfect answer but i dont know where to start looking...

Photography Institue, been doing it over 1-year its a 20 module course, no time restraits, and the feedback from tutor is fab! :)

Although - ive probably learnt a lot from also going to camera club, and on here - but the course puts you in different circumstances to help you become a photographer and earn some pennies!

Thanks Adele, sounds rather good. have you got a link at all?

no worries, when you come across it i would be very interested to have a nose at what it offers :)

Just came across this an email with this 'offer' in my spam box

http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/promotions/pi_uk_new_year_2009.htm

anyone heard of them before?

dare i say parts of the course sound quite interesting... not £400 interesting mind you!

Just joined this forum and this is my second post... interesting coming across this thread as my son is thinking of doing it and I said I'd do some web searches on it :cautious:

Interesting that in January it was £400 as it is presently £500 if you pay in full... otherwise £550. Oh! and from the PIUK Prospectus it's a 12 module course over 24 weeks or at "your" pace up to a year... not 20 as Adele mentions nor the time given --- just going off what is on the web site and via links to the different areas.

Other searches on this Co give conflicting information as to whether it's a worth while course or just a scam. With an increase of £100 in a month it's looking somewhat shakey. :eek: :thinking: :shrug:

Honestly, these courses will do nothing to 'make you a pro'. They're offering nothing that can't be found online for free.

If you want something worthwhile to follow then use http://www.bipp.com/

Accepted and no argument from me on all that you say except that some "may" feel they need a set of modules to work through that go from the A to Z rather than going from D to A to W etc.

Appreciate the link to the BIPP and will pass it on to him. (y)

Whether he "does" want to be a professional or part time pro or enjoy it more as a hobby is up to him after he's sorted out a suitable way for "him" to get the most out of it all - the most important part being getting satisfaction from shots he takes rather than it not being "quite" and loosing his enthusiasm :)

I'm new to this forum- it's my first post- i too wanted to enrol on the photography course you are talking about - thephotographyinstitute.co.uk as i came across them googling.

I have communicated with them and all communication with them has been very good and professional- has anybody out there done the course or is doing the course? I would love to hear about how they have found it as i think i want to do it.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Interesting that in January it was £400 as it is presently £500 if you pay in full... otherwise £550. Oh! and from the PIUK Prospectus it's a 12 module course over 24 weeks or at "your" pace up to a year... not 20 as Adele mentions nor the time given --- just going off what is on the web site and via links to the different areas.

Other searches on this Co give conflicting information as to whether it's a worth while course or just a scam. With an increase of £100 in a month it's looking somewhat shakey. :eek: :thinking: :shrug:

I contacted them last eyar, hence now get their mailings. The price varies depending on offers

The course that Adele is doing is actually 'the institute of professional photography' and is a 20 module course.

The Photography Istitute is something else and is a 12 module course.

I am looking at taking the Photography Istitute course...has anybody completed the course? Or recommend it?

Hey

I did a photography institute course when I was in Australia. I assume its the same company, I know they have a UK site. From what i gather its exactly the same, but your tutor will obviously be from here.

I loved the course and thought it was an excellent diploma. When I enrolled I was told I had 12 months to complete it. However, due to traveling commitments and a few other personal factors I actually took about 18 months which was fine.

The course was 12 modules, beginning with the very basics and developing as your skills advance. It can be quite demanding, but if you really want to learn photography then its worth it.

My tutor was excellent. Sometimes it was a pain not having face to face meetings, especially when I couldn't get my head around a subject. But with all the online resources and a local library, further reading myself enabled me to tackle that issue.
My assignments were marked within 5 days, with very detailed comments and advice.

I have a Nikon D80 and photoshop software, but when you come to the assignments for each module there were several option depending on your equipment.

One thing I liked was one of the last modules focused on the area of photography you think would benefit you most. I love travel photography so mine was based on moving forward in this area. Developing a business plan etc for after the course. Some of the info i gained from this module has been very helpful since.

Overall, i loved the course and would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting an in-depth online course. :)

Hi All

I thought I would put my two pennies worth in aswell. I have just completed a course with the photography Institute, and even though it cost me £450 at the time, the amount of information and learning I've achieved is second to none. The price is a bargain. I just received my diploma in the post last week from Australia.

I was dubious at first, but thought I would take the plunge. The course is very indepth and teaches you everything you need to know to be a successful photographer. You even have to construct a business plan on the later modules.

Yes, it has taken me a year to complete, but was well worth it. My tutor was always on hand with any queries I had, and I often had a response within a day.

My assignments were also marked within a day or so, and they were very helpful.

My advice would be to do the course if you are interested in a photography career. You won't regret it.

Hi All

I thought I would put my two pennies worth in aswell. I have just completed a course with the photography Institute, and even though it cost me £450 at the time, the amount of information and learning I've achieved is second to none. The price is a bargain. I just received my diploma in the post last week from Australia.

I was dubious at first, but thought I would take the plunge. The course is very indepth and teaches you everything you need to know to be a successful photographer. You even have to construct a business plan on the later modules.

Yes, it has taken me a year to complete, but was well worth it. My tutor was always on hand with any queries I had, and I often had a response within a day.

My assignments were also marked within a day or so, and they were very helpful.

My advice would be to do the course if you are interested in a photography career. You won't regret it.

So do you now have a career in Photography? How are you earning your income at the moment? Weddings, Events, Sport or other? So are you now a successful photographer? Be interested to know wheather this course is worth taking up, Thanks in anticiapation. (y)

Last edited:
I'm not religious. ;-)

There's some proper ringers in this thread.

Nice marketing technique... errm maybe not.

I think the OP has all the information he needs about that outfit...

Hi, this is my first post,

I often Google companies I have nothing to do with after having used their services to recommend them.

Yeah, right. People don't go to all the trouble of signing up to forums to recommend products they have no connection with. Complain, yes, recommend, no.

I will never do a photography institute course if this is how they market themselves.

zellyuk has a spanish IP address

i'd be looking Shill up in the dictionary. Now, invoice for advertising, send direct do you think?

Thanks, Keirik

You are right. I started my photography course last year, as I am currently working a very boring office job and wanted something different and interesting.

I didn't think that my post would come out as a Marketing Advertisement, and as not many people may have heard of the photography institute, I thought that I would give my view on the training I received, to help budding photographers.

In fact, I got my Canon 5d Mark 2 Camera today and am over the moon with it. I am aiming to go self-employed as a professional photographer in the next 6 months - I am to do architectural, advertising, travel etc. so will let you know how this goes.

zellyuk has a spanish IP address

yes, i have a spanish ip address as im currently living here. I have spent the last few years traveling alot (as mentioned in my original post). I replied to the thread as I came across it researching further courses online. I have no other posts on this site as I wasn't a member before joining this conversation.

I loved the course and when I saw the thread I thought I'd give my insight. Yes it was a good review, but thats because it was a good course.

Photography Institue, been doing it over 1-year its a 20 module course, no time restraits, and the feedback from tutor is fab! :)

Although - ive probably learnt a lot from also going to camera club, and on here - but the course puts you in different circumstances to help you become a photographer and earn some pennies!

I just started a course today:

http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/become.htm

Is this the one you are doing? My package arrived yesterday.

I signed up for this course last April, but havent got past the 3rd module yet :( So many things to do (50 hrs a week job, wife, scuba diving, taking photos, processing and putting them on my site etc), and so little time to sit down and learn more, but I'm determined to get it done! The first modules I have found a little mundane as they go back into the history of cameras, which I dont find relevant...but will see how I go on, support from more people who are/have been on this would help me with more incentive to find time and sit down and work harder at it

Last edited:
Hi everyone i know this is a late reply but i only came across this thread yesterday as i was wondering about the photographyistitute.co.uk. I've registered here so i can say this:
i told a lady at work that i was looking around for a good online photography course as i've bought a new camera, she said her son was currently doing one and today she gave me a piece of paper with the site and prices and it was this site.
I asked if he has learned and improved much since starting and she said yes so I think that is pretty much enough proof for me that its not a scam. I'm not sure if he has finished the course though so i cant say for sure if he received certificates or whatever to say he'd completed it, but i tried to ask her this and i'm pretty sure she said he had.

Hope this helps anyone, if i do commit to this course then i'll try to post my experience, hopefully it will be good as £500 is a lot to me!

Last edited:
Hi, really could do with some help.
After reading your comments on this thread I was wondering if anyone could either recommend the
www.inst.org/
or the
www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk
Both seem really good, any suggestions for a wee girly who wants to change her career?

Hi everyone
i enrol on the www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk in 2008 i pay the full 450£ at the time now is more expencive duo to personal probleams never finish it this pass week i was looking for it to see if its still active to finaly finish it and 3 years later it still is and they didnt ask me for a penny more...
i been sending messages to the tutor with same day answers and the modules have been all updated with new things duo to new technologies witch is great, so personally i recomend it....
But its up to each one of you believe or not....

:D

okay I new as well I don't remember if I have made some post but,
One of my friends who always was asking me how what to do with camera soft boxes and I was the one who helping him. Thing has change he went back to his country and apply for some collage or course but not online. From time to time I looking for some photography course online and I find hire as well in google www.inst.org www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk
Where to apply for good online course ?
I don't want to learn some crap or be scammed lost money and time :)
Thanks for advise

A good test of the value of a course is whether the `qualification` is accredited. Anyone can issue a certificate or diploma, but only decent courses will have a recognised independent body (NCFE, for instance) checking on the standard of work and tuition.

okay I new as well I don't remember if I have made some post but,
One of my friends who always was asking me how what to do with camera soft boxes and I was the one who helping him. Thing has change he went back to his country and apply for some collage or course but not online. From time to time I looking for some photography course online and I find hire as well in google www.inst.org www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk
Where to apply for good online course ?
I don't want to learn some crap or be scammed lost money and time :)
Thanks for advise

Is there an anagram in your user name :thinking:

Back