Anyone heard of 'the photography institute' (.co.uk)???

amazing all those people who have 1 post on here to say that they recommend the course. Must be good then eh? :thinking:

Now there is definitely an element of The Godfather here, you know the one, where 2 fishes are delivered to the Corleones "He sleeps with the fishes."

So something VERY fishy here :LOL:

All those number 1s - could even be The Prisoner - to keep the movie analogies going.

I looked at this last year, never took it further. Still get emails with discounts, cheapest was £250, there is another thread going somewhere with both these courses on. It's your money, spend it wisely ;)

Im doing this course. I know others who are also signed up.

So far its been very good, good content/material. specific structure to make you learn and build an understanding of the technicalities in a logical way.

Yes you can search the web, randomly watch stuff etc. however having done this for a while as well as a college evening class I decided I wanted something inbetween, some directed structure with help when I needed but that I could study at my own pace. Based on personal recommendation I joined up.

I suspect the reason you have had people sign up to say yes the course is real and theyre doing it and its good is because there is a very strong, active online community of over 10,000 students. Like this forum its full of various levels of experience from pros who started out on the course and now earn a living from photography to those who have just signed up. I expect at some point someone on the PI group posted a link to here saying theyre claiming this is a scam.

its easy to knock something you havent tried or dont feel you need, but it is doing a good job for lots of people and filling a need.

Last edited:
Im doing this course. I know others who are also signed up.

So far its been very good, good content/material. specific structure to make you learn and build an understanding of the technicalities in a logical way.

Yes you can search the web, randomly watch stuff etc. however having done this for a while as well as a college evening class I decided I wanted something inbetween, some directed structure with help when I needed but that I could study at my own pace. Based on personal recommendation I joined up.

I suspect the reason you have had people sign up to say yes the course is real and theyre doing it and its good is because there is a very strong, active online community of over 10,000 students. Like this forum its full of various levels of experience from pros who started out on the course and now earn a living from photography to those who have just signed up. I expect at some point someone on the PI group posted a link to here saying theyre claiming this is a scam.

its easy to knock something you havent tried or dont feel you need, but it is doing a good job for lots of people and filling a need.

Hi there, I too have been looking for a while to do a course. Stuck on these decisions:

http://www.thephotographyinstitute.co.uk/

http://www.inst.org/

http://www.oca-uk.com/

Obviously the latter being a full on BA degree, but you can choose do do some of the modules not all, also partially written/endorsed by Michael Freeman so enough said there, but it *is* quite involved.

I am also confused as to what courses you get from http://www.bipp.com/ they don't clearly state, and seeing as I do not make money from my images, nor am I a student (yet!) therefore I can only join as a friend and fail to see what benefits I get, apart from what it mentions, but I am after some accreditation and learning.

Which course did you do where? And any further thoughts or input is very welcome :)

Last edited:
Hi all,
Dare I say it? Ok this is my first post! No I am not marketing.

I was just wondering how Arwesa is getting on with the course.
I have thought about doing it for ages now.

However since Arwesa posted that they are doing the course, all the doubters seem to have gone quiet. I must admit it did look dodgy but then I have just joined because I am so curious about whether or not this course is any good.

So please tell me is this a good course or not, and if not has anyone done a good course?

Many thanks
Regards
Lloyd

Ok... my thoughts on this... and not advertising :)

Started.... Oh, last year I think, I wanted a try at a structured course that would tell me what I was doing right or wrong.

I did the first 5 modules in about 3 months and then got bored as I had too many other things going on.
Then, last week I picked it up again and did module 6.
I'm liking the look of module 7 which is all about light.

The comments from the tutor are a combination of (I guess) preset explanations of the subject mixed with personal comments on the pix you post to them.

The course material is pretty good... it is more or less the same as you could find on here or elsewhere but it's put together well and has some cool insights from the writer along with specific advice and day to day uses for the things they teach.

I found the first few modules a bit... meh.... but 6 was good and 5 was interesting too, though I didn't really get into the whole zone ruler thing that seemed more film based than digital.

Overall.... it's been pretty good, I have actually learned a few things from it,, there are enough useful nuggets of info in the course literature to prevent it being too technical.

I'll do the next module this weekend and then bash through the rest quick as I can to finish it.... it seems to be heading in a more practical rather than theoretical basis lately that appeals a lot more to me.

Is it worth the money? I guess so in terms of the fact that if you consider each module to be the cost of a decent ebook, add in the personal advice and review from the lecturer and the fact that it at least made me go out and try different things then it's pretty good.... so worth a shot of you fancy a more structured, reviewed approach to learning the concepts. I doubt the course alone will make me a "professional photographer" but at least I feel that I'm learning something from it so that's pretty invaluable to me. Thumbs up so far but I'll report back at the end.

All done!!!
I spent nearly 2 years not going back to this course but last month I decided to pull my finger out and glad to say I've finished it!!! Excellent! I'd reccommend it.

Now that is good to hear! I think I will give it a go as I have been sent the 50% off email.
So it is even cheaper now. I am an absolute beginner so I am sure I will get quite a bit out of it.

Thanks so much for your honest opinion. It's been hard to work out from the comments on here, how good it might be. I have seen this before on a different forum, where the advanced people like to knock the beginners courses for one reason or another.

Thanks again and I will let you know how I get on.

Make sure you use the tutor as much as you can and pick his brains and ask him not to recite back from the book what you have already read if you the I info isn't relevant. You will need photoshop free trial version if you already don't have a version. Lots of info to be learnt. Light mod as said is good.

ive just started this course so i would let you know what i think i paid £275 half price , watch this space

Years later I respond to this post - purely because of the accreditation reference.

If it doesn't meet the OFQUAL accreditation framework then it's not accredited like GCSE, A levels or degrees.

This doesn't make the courses rubbish however. Look at the syllabus and decide whether it meets your current learning needs and the direction you want to head in.

The course I did was with the Institue of Pro Pho

This is accredited:

http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/photography_accreditation.htm

Back