Anyone know what this is and still use it

Edit My Images
No
Yes "I" do and yes "I" do

Askin if you do ?

I use it all the time when shooting landscapes / filters / time exposures (big stopper)

Remember they are still available NEW today on NEW gear

Dscn0455.jpg

Yes and No.

Yes and no

I think I have the original leather case for the meter and the Invercone ;)

A reject Wurthers Original. ;)
You're a cruel man, Neil. For the very few who don't get it: an invercone (incident light attatchment) for a Weston light meter.

I wondered if it was a breast implant, then realised this wasn’t NSFW.

great explanation, but I'm still none the wiser!:D
OK. If everyone's sitting comfortably: then I'll begin...

Once upon a time, when men were real men and women were real women and cats ruled the earth (I made the last bit up but it could be true) people took pictures using boxes that had lenses at one end and light sensitive film at the other. The boxes had shutters controlled by clockwork and there were no electronics in sight. So to work out how to set the shutters (or the apertures) someone invented an electric meter to measure the light. To begin with you pointed the meter at the greyest item in the scene (because everything was shades of grey in those days) and the meter would indicate how to set the shutter (and possibly the aperture).

Then some clever clogs invented colour film. Measuring the light became a lot more complicated because grey is often in short supply where everything's got colour. But every problem has a solution and the people who made the meters worked out that if you pointed the meter at where the light was coming from, instead of at what it was reflecting off, you could get an accurate idea of how bright the reflected light off those pesky colours was. The only problem was that you needed to diffuse the light you were measuring to allow for the fact you were measuring a point source (the sun) but exposing for a diffuse source (the subject).

So the makers of meters made diffusers to go over the meter sensor. The first diffusers were just opaque pieces of glass but that didn't work too well because the light wasn't just coming from the sun but was being reflected off all sorts of things. People started to make the diffusers in various different shapes to allow for this: domes or little boxes and god alone knows what else. The people who made the Weston meter came up with the oddest shape of all and they called it the Invercone because the main part of it was an inverted cone. and that is what we have here.

Then a bunch of spoilsports came along and invented through the lens metering and... but you don't really want to know all that.

:sulk:

Last edited:
Thanks Andrew!
Top notch bit of explainery there - appreciated!(y)

...when men were real men and women were real women...

Don't you just hate these new fangled 'virtual' men and women that they have nowadays?!
I tell ya, I won't have 'em in the house!:D

Then a bunch of spoilsports came along and invented through the lens metering and... but you don't really want to know all that.

Boo! Bad TTL Bad!:p

OK. If everyone's sitting comfortably: then I'll begin...

Once upon a time, when men were real men and women were real women and cats ruled the earth (I made the last bit up but it could be true) people took pictures using boxes that had lenses at one end and light sensitive film at the other. The boxes had shutters controlled by clockwork and there were no electronics in sight. So to work out how to set the shutters (or the apertures) someone invented an electric meter to measure the light. To begin with you pointed the meter at the greyest item in the scene (because everything was shades of grey in those days) and the meter would indicate how to set the shutter (and possibly the aperture).

Then some clever clogs invented colour film. Measuring the light became a lot more complicated because grey is often in short supply where everything's got colour. But every problem has a solution and the people who made the meters worked out that if you pointed the meter at where the light was coming from, instead of at what it was reflecting off, you could get an accurate idea of how bright the reflected light off those pesky colours was. The only problem was that you needed to diffuse the light you were measuring to allow for the fact you were measuring a point source (the sun) but exposing for a diffuse source (the subject).

So the makers of meters made diffusers to go over the meter sensor. The first diffusers were just opaque pieces of glass but that didn't work too well because the light wasn't just coming from the sun but was being reflected off all sorts of things. People started to make the diffusers in various different shapes to allow for this: domes or little boxes and god alone knows what else. The people who made the Weston meter came up with the oddest shape of all and they called it the Invercone because the main part of it was an inverted cone. and that is what we have here.

Absolutely brilliant and very light hearted and amusing.
Thanks Andrew

This is getting like that old tv programme where they produced some old bit of crap and the panel guessed what it was.
That got very boring too

I disagreed with you other day, now I'm sorry for that, this guy's a bit of a melt

Reminds me a bit of the bloke who asked on here about a camera, got one and then trashed it.

Last edited:
It is an invercone for a Weston Master light meter. It allowed incident light readings to be taken. I had that meter many moons ago before SLR's had TTL metering. Super piece of kit (in a quality zip up case).
http://www.westonmeter.org.uk/westonfive.htm

I refer my learned friend to my post #7 and the 'invercone' ;) and of course #7 trump's(sorry for swear word :LOL:) #15 :)
I humbly crave your honour's pardon and acknowledge my error. :notworthy:

I humbly crave your honour's pardon and acknowledge my error. :notworthy:

You are pardoned but just don't do it again or :bat:but we can all get :eggface: sometimes :banghead:......................all this talk of old gear, I just wish I had a nice glass fronted display case for the old cameras, they are pieces of design art IMO but sadly all in storage :(

Back