Anyone owned the Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 and the Nikon 24-70mm 2.8??

Name
Kevin
Edit My Images
No
As the title says. Just wondered if anyone has and if they would like to comment on the comparisons.
My 28-70mm is on its way back from Nikon with a full overhaul just about and should be like new. I love the lens, but keep hearing how good the 24-70mm is. Am I missing something? Or am I just lusting again? :LOL: Has time and technology improved on an already superb lens?
I took this shot with the lens when it had a fault. So it's manually focused wide open:

DSC_5828.jpg

Kev.

I thought at least Andy (Puddleduck) would have. With the amount of gear he's had! :D:D:LOL::LOL:

I wish I could help you out on reviewing either of these lenses ............:(

TBH I always thought the 28-70 f/2.8 AF-S was a tad over-hyped - for DX users it never made much sense - the 17-55 f/2.8 DX was always sharper wide open and probably more useful, for more people more of the time.

The 24-70 seems to be a better lens - 24mm is a bit of weak point, so think of it as a 28-70 really.. with 24mm there if you need it. The 24-70 is sharper wide open, with better mirco-contrast and "bite" Ironically you'll see this more on something like a D2X though rather than a D3 or D700.

Is the 24-70 an upgrade? Probably, but again the hype machine kicks in a bit. Will you see a difference. Maybe...

So.. if the 28-70 is doing it for you... no don't upgrade. I haven't owned a 28-70 for yonks (sold it to get a 17-55 DX which I felt was much sharper wide open where I tend to shoot a fast lens).

My impression - and having not shot them side by side - its just an impression, is that the 24-70 is an improvement, and probably a bigger improvement than, say the 50mm f/1.4 AF-S is over the older 50mm AF-D.

I had both for a couple of months when I got my D3 as I bought the D3 with the 24-70 as a kit. After using both I sold the 28-70 purely because it was older. IQ wise I couldn't really see a diference. The 24-70 may be slightly sharper wide open but it wasn't that noticeable.

There is no point upgrading from a 28-70 to the 24-70 unless your lens dies completely IMO.

Pete

Thanks Andy. I certainly agree about the 50mm. We'll see how the 28-70 performs when it arrives....

Kev.

Thanks for remembering about my question Andy. Made very interesting reading.

Kev.

Back