Anyone self fitted Hive?

Actually forget that just bought it direct from HIVE on their black Friday sale fitted by british Gas all for £186 and get a free Amazon Echo dot with £39 which I will flog on here, happy days....

Make sure you have a spare Ethernet port on your router and a spare power socket too.

If anyone else is looking for the Hive thermostat, it's £110 with free Echo Dot on Amazon today or £150 with installation.

Just done the British Gas deal to. It was fitted by British Gas in less than hour can’t beat that. So far so good

Did mine myself.
I used the Hub 360 as it has sound detect, with the motion sensor and camera it makes a great security system. I've got some lights as well.
British Gas fitting the heating thermostat was impossibly to get an appointment - try 6 weeks onwards, so I fitted it myself. It's only 4 wires for the heating controller for my combi boiler (Glowworm). You can buy 4 core cable perfect for the job from screwfix, betacom

Here's the instalation guide
https://bucketeer-e9a3f077-0ec6-47c...6edbaa46c9c2cbfbfbea01f61b7cc8a85a67a4337.pdf

and some details of my boiler. Find the ones for yours
https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/fitting-hive-to-flexicom-glowworm-24cx.474775/

We didn't have a thermostat already. If you have one it may be even easier

On my glowworm, I had to remove the 24v link (rt24v)

20180916_114612.jpg

Then you can see the power coming into the blue plug. I took the power into the Hive transmitter then used the 4 core cable to feed the power from there into the boiler, because that was easiest. The 4th core connection is the RT connection for the heating control. Being a combi boiler the hot water is instant on so isn't controlled by hive

20180916_114625.jpg

I've not a shot of the hive transmitter wiring, but this explains the hive wiring. Live & neutral and earth are self explanatory. I used the little red link from the RT24V to link Live to common, then 3 went to the RT for the heating control
hive-to-230v-connectivity-jpg.110664

easy to do - but obvious caveat is to turn off the power (mine went into a plug under the kitchen worktop). Or seek professional help if you're not sure
The plugs on the boiler pulled off easily and were screwed terminals for the wiring, so easy to change

Last edited:
Mine was fitted as part of a boiler fitting, but having watched the electrician who came in to wire in the new boiler, it looked pretty simple.

Old time switch removed and partially blanked off with a receiver in its place. A hub connected to a router (mine is powered by a USB plug on the back of the router) and the old wall thermostat has a blanking plate with a clip for the Hive control panel - although am using Hive app to link devices (two smart bulbs and a smart plug), plus the Alexa echo Dot thing.

Back